99er Cycle Tour 2024

K20Champ

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

So you were the dude who was running at the start trying to get the group. We all had a good chuckle watching you try to make it๐Ÿ˜‚

Yeah cyclocross start and then a 2min maximal effort to get on the back ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thereโ€™s something very wrong with the results. People soloing to sub 2:30 from Kโ€ฆ..??

okes finishing ahead but came up the hill way behind???

8 hours ago, MarcelGriff said:

The whole event was well organized and run.

Loved the Trilogy, and think it has huge potential to grow in numbers. I did it on my MTB but believe this is truly a gravel race and if you could swap more tar for dirt roads it would be great. This is not a complaint just a comment. With all the chats along the ride I am sure the Trilogy is going to blow up next year everyone loved it.
Also not sure how possible it would be, but a longer route might also be an option, this is a fast route, not a bad thing, but a extra 15-20km section might add that bit extra spice to the ride. This is my perspective, have to say i did finish in the top section overall and I am quite fit so others might not feel the same.

Overall a top ride and will definitely return next year.

Thanks for the feedback. The Trilogy is definitely aimed at gravel bikes but due to the large tar % we decided not to market it as gravel race this year. We may well do that next year. We believe the numbers will double next year. Route IS difficult to reduce tar and increase gravel without adding huge logistical complexity to our race. You may not realise this : our ENTIRE event is arranged and run byย  parents of school kids. Every marshal you see on race day plus us on the planning EXCO are volunteers who have day jobs. We put in 100s of hours each year. This is not a registered business, no professional race planners. Just a bunch of enthusiastic parents who are helping their school. This includes me! We will definitely review the route and see if we can extend it AND reduce the tar component. Watch this space ๐Ÿ˜

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Thereโ€™s something very wrong with the results. People soloing to sub 2:30 from Kโ€ฆ..??

okes finishing ahead but came up the hill way behind???

ย 

Welcome to Useless Time, sorry ... Finish Time.

ย 

ย 

Same story with each event !!

46 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Thanks for the feedback. The Trilogy is definitely aimed at gravel bikes but due to the large tar % we decided not to market it as gravel race this year. We may well do that next year. We believe the numbers will double next year. Route IS difficult to reduce tar and increase gravel without adding huge logistical complexity to our race. You may not realise this : our ENTIRE event is arranged and run byย  parents of school kids. Every marshal you see on race day plus us on the planning EXCO are volunteers who have day jobs. We put in 100s of hours each year. This is not a registered business, no professional race planners. Just a bunch of enthusiastic parents who are helping their school. This includes me! We will definitely review the route and see if we can extend it AND reduce the tar component. Watch this space ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

There is just something "different" (BETTER) about events arranged by cyclists for cyclists !! โค๏ธ

ย 

It is clear to see and experience the attention to detail when partaking in the 99er.

ย 

ย 

ย 

The same applies to Trans Augrabies.ย  Lana and her team raced Desert Dash, and many other races in SA.ย  Their passion for cycling is evident in the whole weekend.

ย 

ย 

Exact same with Eduard Lubbe and Vines and Views.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Nicholas a BIG thanks to you and your Team for delivering such a perfect day ๐Ÿ‘

1 hour ago, NicholasH said:

This shows. Every Marshall is invested in what's happening. Very nice.

I'll definitely have a go at the trilogy next year.

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

ย 

Welcome to Useless Time, sorry ... Finish Time.

ย 

ย 

Same story with each event !!

They have guys finishing ahead of me who crossed the line minutes later ๐Ÿค”

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

ย 

There is just something "different" (BETTER) about events arranged by cyclists for cyclists !! โค๏ธ

ย 

It is clear to see and experience the attention to detail when partaking in the 99er.

ย 

ย 

ย 

The same applies to Trans Augrabies.ย  Lana and her team raced Desert Dash, and many other races in SA.ย  Their passion for cycling is evident in the whole weekend.

ย 

ย 

Exact same with Eduard Lubbe and Vines and Views.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Nicholas a BIG thanks to you and your Team for delivering such a perfect day ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks Chris, I think you nailed it ๐Ÿ‘Œ

21 hours ago, NicholasH said:

Hello all

I am Nicholas Haupt. Head of Operations for the 99er event and member the 99er EXCO as well as creator of the new 99er Trilogy which was launched today.

Any feedback and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for us? We want to improve each year and this is usually a good place for feedback.ย 

PLEASE DON'T BASH AND ABUSE HERE. We would like to engage with the community in a positive way and are open to our shortcomings being highlighted but we do not need mudslinging. Helps nobody.ย 

Thanks very much ๐Ÿ˜

Got a few suggestions :
1. Now I know this may be a big ask, but would it be possible, at least within the Durbanville suburb streets, to have a street sweeper go through before the race?

Lots of smashed glass in the road, I was unfortunate to puncture 3 times before I got out of Durbanville, specifically once on Koeberg Rd just past the sports grounds and then twice in Pretoria Way.

2. Some shade at the finish line. Most riders dont ride back to the racecourse immediately and want to cool down for 5 or 10 minutes. Fortunately it wasnt a hot day but previous years had been scorching.

3. Some bike stands at the racecourse would be nice. Tons of bikes laying around on the ground made it a tad of a schlep to move through.

ย 

Otherwise, was a fantastic event, had tons of fun and will be there next year.
ย 

2 hours ago, Bl4d3 said:

Got a few suggestions :
1. Now I know this may be a big ask, but would it be possible, at least within the Durbanville suburb streets, to have a street sweeper go through before the race?

Lots of smashed glass in the road, I was unfortunate to puncture 3 times before I got out of Durbanville, specifically once on Koeberg Rd just past the sports grounds and then twice in Pretoria Way.

2. Some shade at the finish line. Most riders dont ride back to the racecourse immediately and want to cool down for 5 or 10 minutes. Fortunately it wasnt a hot day but previous years had been scorching.

3. Some bike stands at the racecourse would be nice. Tons of bikes laying around on the ground made it a tad of a schlep to move through.

ย 

Otherwise, was a fantastic event, had tons of fun and will be there next year.
ย 

Hi glad you enjoyed it despite the punctures...

So, on the Thursday before the race we have a group of teachers and parents called the "Sweep and Pray Team" go through ENTIRE route by car and do exactly what you suggest. They sweep the route and pray over the route for safety. About 12 to 15 of them drive their vehicles along the 100km route and wherever there is gravel, debris,ย  etc they physically sweep it off the road. I am going to suggest that outside of the glass you never encountered gravel or stones on the route? Quite incredible!!

We also have City of Cape Town sweep the town streets with a mechanical broom on Friday. However, Protea way is probably missed due it being a minor road compared to say Wellington road. Thus we do try our best to have clean roads for you guys. The other problem is that on Friday night in Durbanville a lot of revelers hit the streets and toss bottles out their car windows...we then race there on Saturday ๐Ÿ™‡ I have noted your comment, however, and we will attempt to get the roads even betterย 

We actually try and encourage people to head back to the pavilion because space at the finish IS limited. That is the reason for no shade...sorry man.ย 

Yes, I think that bike stands is a fantastic suggestion and will endeavor to make that happen next year ๐Ÿซก

Great feedback on this thread, making me even more bleak that I had to turn my entry over to substitution, picked up โ€œsomethingโ€ on Tuesday that I could not put down in time for the eventโ€ฆ..๐Ÿคข

14 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Hi glad you enjoyed it despite the punctures...

So, on the Thursday before the race we have a group of teachers and parents called the "Sweep and Pray Team" go through ENTIRE route by car and do exactly what you suggest. They sweep the route and pray over the route for safety. About 12 to 15 of them drive their vehicles along the 100km route and wherever there is gravel, debris,ย  etc they physically sweep it off the road. I am going to suggest that outside of the glass you never encountered gravel or stones on the route? Quite incredible!!

We also have City of Cape Town sweep the town streets with a mechanical broom on Friday. However, Protea way is probably missed due it being a minor road compared to say Wellington road. Thus we do try our best to have clean roads for you guys. The other problem is that on Friday night in Durbanville a lot of revelers hit the streets and toss bottles out their car windows...we then race there on Saturday ๐Ÿ™‡ I have noted your comment, however, and we will attempt to get the roads even betterย 

We actually try and encourage people to head back to the pavilion because space at the finish IS limited. That is the reason for no shade...sorry man.ย 

Yes, I think that bike stands is a fantastic suggestion and will endeavor to make that happen next year ๐Ÿซก

I was just one of the lucky ones to get punctured ๐Ÿคฃ nevertheless a big thanks for you and the team, and yes, didn't see any gravel on the route so must have been one of the laaities from the night before.

8 minutes ago, Colin Pym said:

Great feedback on this thread, making me even more bleak that I had to turn my entry over to substitution, picked up โ€œsomethingโ€ on Tuesday that I could not put down in time for the eventโ€ฆ..๐Ÿคข

Sorry to hear that Colin...I heard of quite a few people with stomach issues doing the rounds over the last 2 weeks...

We hope to see you at next year's race ๐Ÿ™

8 hours ago, NicholasH said:

Tar has always been part of a gravel race. Itโ€™s the only real way to connect to different farms so I wouldnโ€™t have an issue tbh. I think if the route was a bit longer with some tar in between, most people would be fine with that.ย