how to know what my bike is worth

Trav1992

good day all. Firstly I've posted my Cannondale f900 on this site to try and sell. i have no knowledge of what its worth now currently? all i know is i got it roughly 15 years ago and i used it once and it has been in the garage ever since .... I was away from home Durbanville Western Cape 18 years ago and have decided to come back in hope for a better life. so I'm urgently looking for a buyer for this bike just to keep me and my family going. I apologise for the inconvenience of now posting onto forums etc, but i don't trust market place after being scammed. Anyone's expertise and knowledge on the sale of this bike would be greatly appreciated. I know its not worth what we paid so many years ago. i feel at least here i wont get taken advantage of due to me not having the necessary knowledge on this particular bike and its current value. the bike is in mint condition just the tyres need to be pumped up and fitted and its good to go. if any good person could steer me in the cot direction for a quick sale today I would appreciate it

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 17.35.29_00f6fbf5.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 17.35.30_fb2bd724.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 17.35.30_3136fa9e.jpg

Hi, it's usually not worth selling an old bike because it's hard to get a decent "replacement" value if you had to go out and buy a replacement bike.

In a "retro" (old) bike like this it's more valuable to a "collector" if you can find someone who wants to buy it for a sentimental reason.

The poor economy (etc.) has slowed the buying of older bikes or N+1 bikes

I'm guessing top price of R2,5k if the wheel bearings are still good and that rust hasn't taken over....

Hi thanks so much for you advice, unfortunately I won't be selling tomboy a replacement. It would be a straight sale as the money is needed while I search for work. Have I posted my add in the incorrect category  

1 minute ago, Trav1992 said:

It would be a straight sale as the money is needed while I search for work

Tough one, but what you've come across here in your garage is equivalent to a PS2. It doesn't matter that it was used once, it has los all it's value. A bicycle at least still has utility, but the budget of that market is severely constrained. There are tons of bikes in better looking riding condition for R1k or less on Facebook.

Yes I fully understand if I get offered 1k impound take it as currently its gathering dust so the technicalities of this sale is that I'm not sure the worth . Yes it's not worth what I paid many years ago and I know it never will be . All I want to do is sell the bike 

OK perfect my name is travis ward contact number is 0761411798 you can collect anytime from 11am today please add me on WhatsApp or send your details so I can send my address. I'm in vrede street

9 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

If you are in Durbanville, i will take the bike off your hands for 1500

This is a great offer. I doubt you would get any more than this. I would take it. 

I recently sold a fairly old SCOTT which i upgraded v brakes to hydraulic brakes and tubeless conversion for 3K on Market Place to a mother who wanted to follow her kids while they did cross country running - So there is always people looking for good condition old bikes out there. Also lots of workers looking for affordable bikes to commute instead of paying for taxi's.

My gardenologists saves 65 ronds a day since I gave him an old MTB

I would build it up make sure its in proper condition mechanically and list it on Market Place for 2 - 2.5K it will sell

Don’t do it! That’s a great bike and you can still get lots of pleasure from it. Surely you can easily earn yourself R1.5k some other way and keep the bike? A couple of nights of waitering will do it. 

bmc fan i will accept your 1.5k offer, its more than anyone else has offered thus far. i thank all the people who have commented and made some very valued points. unfortunately im no cycler and me and my family are desperately in need of the financial assistance! while i am here online i had a comment of waiter a couple of nights i 110% agree to this. im not scared of work the sale of this bike will go to the purchase of a polisher to buff and polish vehicles mobile service at R300 a car just to survive until someone gives me an oppurtunity to get my foort into the door. ive sold vehicles for plus minus 12 years and last 6 years ive done property maintenance and management. over the years for extra cash ive polished cars and im extremely good at it and funny enough love the before and after of my work. my cv is available on request with contactable references. we had to leave port elizabeth to relocate back here to western cape. thank you all in advance. BMC fan my num,ber 0761411798 to come and collect the bike today please 

2 hours ago, Trav1992 said:

OK perfect my name is travis ward contact number is 0761411798 you can collect anytime from 11am today please add me on WhatsApp or send your details so I can send my address. I'm in vrede street

Hi please can u WhatsApp me or leave your number kindly of desperate to sell this bike today 

23 hours ago, BMCfan said:

If you are in Durbanville, i will take the bike off your hands for 1500

Hi I waited the whole day are u interested or not or am I wasting my time  here ???

4 minutes ago, Trav1992 said:

Hi I waited the whole day are u interested or not or am I wasting my time  here ???

Easier if you send him a direct message.

Click on his/her user name and select message.

Also that way you are not posting your contact details for the whole world to see. 

7 hours ago, Trav1992 said:

I have responded via DM, my apologies if you think i wasted your time