Back pain -supplementary exercises?

Hi folks

I am really enjoying my mountain biking, but every few months I go through a period of back pain. Have had this pain occasionally for decades(am 57). Can anyone reccomend exercises(core?) that support their cycling?

Thanks,

Rodger

43 minutes ago, DodgeB said:

Hi folks

I am really enjoying my mountain biking, but every few months I go through a period of back pain. Have had this pain occasionally for decades(am 57). Can anyone reccomend exercises(core?) that support their cycling?

Thanks,

Rodger

Given that you experience back pain every few months, do you notice any changes in your routine during those periods, such as an increase in training volume? It might also be a good idea to double-check your bike fit, although it might not be directly related since the pain doesn’t occur every ride.

In terms of core exercises that can help with cycling, here are a few:

1.    Planks
    2.    Bird Dog
    3.    Bridge
    4.    Dead Bug
    5.    Bicycle Crunches

Advice from someone who very recently paid the school fees, suffering from your described symptoms for a year or so, and of similar age:

Go and see your Dr, you may have a herniated or bulging disc that is putting pressure or your nerves.

Mine got progressively worse to the point I could not move without a searing pain. Long story short, back operation (laminectomy) to relieve the pressure on the nerve, and I'm off the bike for at least Six weeks.

13 hours ago, DodgeB said:

Hi folks

Thanks,

Rodger

go for a setup and be honest with the guys who are doing it  - not a Specialized BG Setup but a real one - one that takes in to account, age, flexibility etc. You will be amazed at how this will make a difference. you aren't Tadel Pgacar so the ratios that are good for him arent good for you and your age. Core exercises are of course good. What bike are you ridng - have you checked the suspension and ensured you are getitng full benefit from it. All these factors add up. I had a long online discussion with some of the guys on the forum and the single major factor that changed it all for me and was completely wrong was my setup. I assumed pain was just something i was going to have to live with - especially lower back. Ping @Eldron - havent seen him here for a bit... He may know of some people local to you. But start with getyitng your setup right....

26 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Advice from someone who very recently paid the school fees, suffering from your described symptoms for a year or so, and of similar age:

Go and see your Dr, you may have a herniated or bulging disc that is putting pressure or your nerves.

Mine got progressively worse to the point I could not move without a searing pain. Long story short, back operation (laminectomy) to relieve the pressure on the nerve, and I'm off the bike for at least Six weeks.

The culprit is usually the disk between L4 & L5. Disk presses againt the scaitic (spelling?) nerve.

Got the t-shirt as well. Mine was so bad, that I lost all feeling in my left leg and went for an emergency op. Still have zero feeling or strength in my left foot. 

Edited by KB280DT

12 minutes ago, KB280DT said:

The culprit is usually the disk between L4 & L5. Disk presses againt the scaitic (spelling?) nerve.

Got the t-shirt as well. Mine was so bad, that I lost all feeling in my left leg and went for an emergency op. Still have zero feeling or strength in my left foot. 

Mine was L5/S1, pinched the sciatic nerve good and proper. Also had to go emergency op after it got so bad I could not stand, sit or lay down without this searing pain down the back of my leg.

Strange, had no issues with dead/numb foot, but after the op the outer part and sole of my left foot (the affected side) is numb, at certain stages more than other. Found that doing my stretch exercises actually helps with it for a few moments. I trust this will heal properly and go away.

To the OP, go see your Dr, my symptoms was the same, lower back pain that came and went, normally more aware of pain after a hard session of Mtb, but then it was fine again for a period.

Edited by Wannabe

1 minute ago, Wannabe said:

Mine was L5/S1, pinched the sciatic nerve good and proper. Strange, had no issues with dead/numb foot, but after the op the outer part and sole of my left foot (the affected side) is numb, at certain stages more than other. Found that doing my stretch exercises actually helps with it for a few moments. I trust this will heal properly and go away.

I sincerely hope for your sake it does. Had my op about 15 years ago and my foot is still dead. Helps when I bump my little toe against furniture 🤣But zero lateral strength in my foot causes me to walk predominantely on the left edge of my foot and this causes other issues. And can't balance on the left  for more than 3 seconds either.

Dunno if it is just me, but I hear more and more of people having back issues and the resultant back op

57 minutes ago, KB280DT said:

I sincerely hope for your sake it does. Had my op about 15 years ago and my foot is still dead. Helps when I bump my little toe against furniture 🤣But zero lateral strength in my foot causes me to walk predominantely on the left edge of my foot and this causes other issues. And can't balance on the left  for more than 3 seconds either.

Dunno if it is just me, but I hear more and more of people having back issues and the resultant back op

How did the op/procedure affect your cycling? Less pain in the legs/cramps, or still much the same?

I also really hope this numbness/dead feeling goes away, as I already can see how it affects my walking. As soon as I start to tire, I tend to "drift" to the left like a crab.

1 minute ago, Wannabe said:

How did the op/procedure affect your cycling? Less pain in the legs/cramps, or still much the same?

I also really hope this numbness/dead feeling goes away, as I already can see how it affects my walking. As soon as I start to tire, I tend to "drift" to the left like a crab.

Cycling is fine. Zero back pain or cramps. I do find however that my foot gets "tired" after long distances and then I tend to put more pressure on the outer edge.

My lower back was killing me 6 or so weeks ago when I started training more intently for CTCT. I was eating anti inflammatory meds like smarties until my wife pointed out I look like a clown on a minibike when I ride. Turns out I allowed my dropper post to progressively sag into the seat tube over time and got used to it. I lifted it out and tightened it properly and voila, problem solved.

Dr Stuart McGill is the authority and his big three exercises for back pain are the curl up, side plank and bird dog. Look them up. Based on ca 10 sec static holds and low reps. Important to build core strength before doing too much on flexibility. 

Try lots of therapy options before surgery.

From experience (I'm your age) try the following in order before you see a Dr.:

1. Tilt the nose of your saddle down a little. If your hands/shoulders start to hurt, do some upper body training. 

2. Core exercises - Pilates, Yoga, gym core, doesn't matter, just do something core at least twice a week. I like this guy: https://www.timsenesiyoga.com/ Be patient and disciplined, it takes months before core work pays off. And don't stop once the back pain goes away or it will just come back again.  

3. If you're on a hardtail, ditch it and get a full squish bike. Hard tails are for young backs only. 

4. Ride more :)

5. Check your bike fit, but don't over think it - if you've "been riding for decades" it probably close to where it should be. 

been there and have the t shirt - or in this case the surgery scar!

Similar to Wannabee got to a point where any movement was impossible - had discectomy - L5 S1

Years later I still have stiff back at times but I have found that since I have become ALOT more disciplined about core exercises and stretching, as well as managing my weight it has gotten alot better. Some days no discomfort at.

Start with basic stuff like already mentioned - cat and cow - very good to loosen up the area.

Try not to sit for too long - sitting is the worst for your back!  

Hey folks

Thanks for sharing great thoughts! Started core exercise. Must still look up what 'Bird dog\ Dead Bug' are. heading to physio tomorrow. It is now clear that I have to do maintenance exercise as a way of life.

Have many great rides,

Rodger

2 hours ago, openmind said:

From experience (I'm your age) try the following in order before you see a Dr.:

1. Tilt the nose of your saddle down a little. If your hands/shoulders start to hurt, do some upper body training. 

2. Core exercises - Pilates, Yoga, gym core, doesn't matter, just do something core at least twice a week. I like this guy: https://www.timsenesiyoga.com/ Be patient and disciplined, it takes months before core work pays off. And don't stop once the back pain goes away or it will just come back again.  

3. If you're on a hardtail, ditch it and get a full squish bike. Hard tails are for young backs only. 

4. Ride more :)

5. Check your bike fit, but don't over think it - if you've "been riding for decades" it probably close to where it should be. 

Everything else above - i agree with. Whilst I respect all the information about backs and the consequences and I didnt have this problems the line above about your bike fit is exactly the opposite of what you should be doing.

But No 5 above. please don't do this. Pay attention to your bike fit and get it done regularly, as it changes and your body changes with age. And get professional help. Not your eye and some googling and assumptions as to what worked in the past is good for you now....

How do i know? I assumed exactly this as well. I have over 25 years on bikes so should know what fits me from experience. Turns out that was completely wrong. I assumed like you did that as i had been on the bike a long time and had a little pain it was just age and sagging core muscles. I was also 57 at the time. I was sore in shoulders, lower back and neck after a ride but hey i am old etc etc. Comes with the territory and age. Suck it up. the fit was good as it was what i always used. 

Hmm

After long and arduous conversations with @Eldron on this topic I went to see Richard Baxter for a full fit. The very next ride post my fit and using the new setup and all the changes (saddle, bars, stem, shoes)  both my VO2 max and FTP increased as measured on the bike computer and no change in my training. I was also comfortable in the saddle for longer periods and had no neck/lower back issues. This was just from a setup. I related this on the hub at the time. So not only was I more comfortable and therefore able to ride longer but also faster. Best money I ever spent.

Unless you're are a genetic throwback , our body changes over time mostly for the worse and your flexibility and strength reduce, hence my line that you shouldn't have a setup based on Tadej Pogacar if you are 57. I now sit a lot more upright, i have a lot wider bars and also have pedal extensions as i am built like a prop. I need a wide Q factor. Added to this Lake shoes for my wide flat feet - there were so many changes but all for the better.

PLease don't assume you are able to get your bike fit right and if you are uncomfortable go to the professionals and get it done properly. FWIW i am not a fan of Specialized BG fits - they always seem wrong to me so make sure you share what you are looking for. #justsaying.

As a final proof point i got my old Colnago C40 back from my nephew recently after he had borrowed it for some time. This is the bike I raced seriously (for me) on and was at my fastest on in all my results. My go to race bike for 10 years.  It's a really stiff carbon race bike and I did thousands of kilos on it, most of them when i was lean and fit and fast.

When I got it back a couple of weeks ago I took it for a short run and with the seating position it is set up for which is the one i used for all this racing, i doubt i would be able to go 50 kms without being in serious pain. This is the bike that felt like home for years. I can hardly ride it.

PLease get a proper fit done.....