Riding tips for my 10 year old son

Dirk Stoffberg

My son is now participating in Gauteng schools racing events, he is a bit on the shorter side within his age group and rides a specialized rhyme fs 27.5 bike.

He currently rides about 30km per week, mainly trail riding.

In his last race he tried to position himself as close to the front of the group behind the seeded riders, all seeded riders are positioned in the front and everyone one else is behind. At the start of the race a rider went down in front of him and he went down as well, so when he eventually got going he was back of the pack.

In having no racing experience myself, what is the best advice one can share that could assist him in better positioning/avoiding potential crashes/passing riders who dont give way, training tips etc.

He has been riding for about 3 years, we try to keep it fun but also encourage him to focus on the correct cycling techniques etc, so he learns correctly and avoids possible injury.

Appreciate any advice that can be passed on TIA.

Edited by Dirk Stoffberg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

short answer: don't be behind people who crash.

You increase that chance by being seeded

Also you can just be born with insane skills and hone them like this guy

This of course isn't actual practical advice - he is just 10 let him learn some lessons the hard way

What happened to him is part of racing . Watch with him some pro racing . It happens there as well . I think he has learned , the fact that he tried to be right behind the seeded riders shows he has what it takes . But I tell the youngsters from the township that I mentor it is better to make up that half a meter gap a bit later than catching up right from the back.

Dirk a fellow Hubber's daughter is doing the series in the Cape.

2022 she podiumed a couple of times.  She had a good year.

2023 she had the benefit of the earlier seeded start.  First race she got taken out after a 100m ...  2nd or 3rd race she was in a secure second spot, heading into the final straight when a dog ran in front of her and she wiped out.

As much as we ride with her, and work on skills ..... these things happen.

She still managed 6th for the championship in 2023.

We are looking forward to the 2024 season.  Her skills keep on improving.  Looking ahead, and being ready for the next section of trail.  Still working on "spinning", she like to ride low cadence ....

Sadly racecraft is not a single session with a coach .....  

In fact, a number of coaches around here only do "skills training" with the younger kids.  Whole different topic about "race training" for the young ones ....

BEST wishes for "your" season :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

What happened to him is part of racing . Watch with him some pro racing . It happens there as well . I think he has learned , the fact that he tried to be right behind the seeded riders shows he has what it takes . But I tell the youngsters from the township that I mentor it is better to make up that half a meter gap a bit later than catching up right from the back.

Which reminds me .... with Maritz we worked on his "track stand" skills.  Initially he struggled with slow riders in front, he would ride into them or STOP and put his feet down ...

Doubt this is what happened to Dirk's son.  Still a handy skill to have, to be able to stay on the bike at slow speeds and maintain that 1m safe distance.... then GO when the gap is there.

You will get some good advise here. You also seem to have this thing reasonably under control.😁

Let him have fun, but teach him the correct way.

And this is where I want to add a comment.

It seems to me that something these youngsters are never taught is how to navigate traffic. At some point (around 14-19 years of age), they are going to do 20 or 40km events, where there will also be longer distance riders in front of them. Coaches never teach them how to handle this.

Most social (40 or 70km riders) knows they are coming and want to get out the way, but they need to be clear on what they are doing. I have seen to many accidents and complaining parents after the event. 

Hi Dirk

I hope the following helps:

1. A lot of crashes happen at the start in every age group.

2. You can try to mitigate the risk by trying to give yourself space. Put your elbows out. And try to leave a gap to the row ahead. ( Hard because other riders see space and try to move into those spaces)

3. I recommend trying to position yourself on the outside. You can sometimes find space  on the  outside where the middle places and the inside are just a crush.

4, You did not mention your boys age so it is impossible to give training advice. Keeping it fun is key. Arranging for him to ride with his peers is ideal. Try and ride regularly rather than making cycling a seasonal activity.

3 minutes ago, amac said:

Hi Dirk

I hope the following helps:

1. A lot of crashes happen at the start in every age group.

2. You can try to mitigate the risk by trying to give yourself space. Put your elbows out. And try to leave a gap to the row ahead. ( Hard because other riders see space and try to move into those spaces)

3. I recommend trying to position yourself on the outside. You can sometimes find space  on the  outside where the middle places and the inside are just a crush.

4, You did not mention your boys age so it is impossible to give training advice. Keeping it fun is key. Arranging for him to ride with his peers is ideal. Try and ride regularly rather than making cycling a seasonal activity.

Apologies, I not you said he is 10 in the heading. Too young for training. Ride regularly and do other sport as well.

3 hours ago, Dirk Stoffberg said:

My son is now participating in Gauteng schools racing events, he is a bit on the shorter side within his age group and rides a specialized rhyme fs 27.5 bike.

He currently rides about 30km per week, mainly trail riding.

In his last race he tried to position himself as close to the front of the group behind the seeded riders, all seeded riders are positioned in the front and everyone one else is behind. At the start of the race a rider went down in front of him and he went down as well, so when he eventually got going he was back of the pack.

In having no racing experience myself, what is the best advice one can share that could assist him in better positioning/avoiding potential crashes/passing riders who dont give way, training tips etc.

He has been riding for about 3 years, we try to keep it fun but also encourage him to focus on the correct cycling techniques etc, so he learns correctly and avoids possible injury.

Appreciate any advice that can be passed on TIA.

My daughters aged 8 and 10 also did their first school race this past weekend in Gauteng. They were unseeded, so we tried to have them just behind the seeded riders and positioned at the outside and also outside of the first corner. 

The youngest still had someone stopping in front of her on the start, but at least no crashing. The older one had a good start on the outside. 

They now have good seedings for the next race. 

They need to learn to manage traffic during the rest of the race when catching slower riders. (and very few will make space for a faster rider coming through)

It seems your on the right track, just keep at it, don't let him despair after one crash, or poor race. 

Important for the parents to not have high expectations or pressure on them. 

PS oldest also on a Rhyme 😉

4 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

It’s all about gaining experience hey, and learning how to avoid crashes is probably to be in them at first.. eventually you’ll notice the signs and know how to manouvre out of harms way before it goes down.. 

he’s also ten years old, let him be a kid and enjoy riding and racing as a kid without layering on the pressure.. if you get what I’m saying..🤙🏻

16 hours ago, Bichael Dewing said:

It’s all about gaining experience hey, and learning how to avoid crashes is probably to be in them at first.. eventually you’ll notice the signs and know how to manouvre out of harms way before it goes down.. 

he’s also ten years old, let him be a kid and enjoy riding and racing as a kid without layering on the pressure.. if you get what I’m saying..🤙🏻

Thanks for your input Bichael, what would you equate to "layering on the pressure" to give everybody the info you are referring to?

18 hours ago, Kuys said:

My daughters aged 8 and 10 also did their first school race this past weekend in Gauteng. They were unseeded, so we tried to have them just behind the seeded riders and positioned at the outside and also outside of the first corner. 

The youngest still had someone stopping in front of her on the start, but at least no crashing. The older one had a good start on the outside. 

They now have good seedings for the next race. 

They need to learn to manage traffic during the rest of the race when catching slower riders. (and very few will make space for a faster rider coming through)

It seems your on the right track, just keep at it, don't let him despair after one crash, or poor race. 

Important for the parents to not have high expectations or pressure on them. 

PS oldest also on a Rhyme 😉

Thanks Kuys, I will take some time and draw some scenarios for him to understand where the congestion is likely to happen when riders are bunching in the middle and rather taking the outside line going into the first corner. Cheers

1 hour ago, Dirk Stoffberg said:

Thanks for your input Bichael, what would you equate to "layering on the pressure" to give everybody the info you are referring to?

I’m in no way making assumptions about your parenting style.. please don’t get me wrong.. but you know how some parents demand perfection from their kids and pressure them to excel.. forgetting that being a kid is supposed to be fun, and falling is learning.. 

sometimes the lesson is that you won’t always start at the front so it’s up to the kid to learn how to get around them as an example.. or now he knows that if he’s not at the front he needs to be even more careful of crashes.. he’ll learn how to avoid them on his own🤷🏼‍♂️.. but encouragement to get back up and tips to get better will benefit him well.. 

2 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

I’m in no way making assumptions about your parenting style.. please don’t get me wrong.. but you know how some parents demand perfection from their kids and pressure them to excel.. forgetting that being a kid is supposed to be fun, and falling is learning.. 

sometimes the lesson is that you won’t always start at the front so it’s up to the kid to learn how to get around them as an example.. or now he knows that if he’s not at the front he needs to be even more careful of crashes.. he’ll learn how to avoid them on his own🤷🏼‍♂️.. but encouragement to get back up and tips to get better will benefit him well.. 

Thanks for your input Bichael, noted.

Dirk have you checked out the XCO provincial races? More technical, but much smaller field. 

7 hours ago, Kuys said:

Dirk have you checked out the XCO provincial races? More technical, but much smaller field. 

Hi Kuys, Sounds great, please send me more info.