WP Winter League

MongooseMan

I see WP Cycling has started putting events up for the winter road league on their site: https://www.wpcycling.com/event-calendar/cat_ids~51

Some very ignorant questions, because I can’t find a lot of info online:

As a non-elite, how worth it is it for me to look at doing these events?

What categories are there, and what category would I likely find myself in (3:02 CTCT from &, 37 year old male)?

How many events are there usually in the league?

When does it normally end?

thanks!

Based on my experience of the WP:

I raced WP league in 2022 and it was definately worth it. Its full gas racing unlike the typical group ride approach at most PPA races. 

There was Cat 1, 2, 3 and theres is usually not enough numbers for cat 4. I rode cat 3 and yeah it was k**k hard but it acted as launch pad for me to pursue proper training.  Based on your CTCT time you could probably be solid it Cat 2 but if thats too easy you can always mix it up with the big boys in the next race.

There was about 5-6 races if I remember correctly. Slanghoek, Paarl de Ville, Redhill, Atlantis etc

Edited by Ncayi

18 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

Based on my experience of the WP:

I raced WP league in 2022 and it was definately worth it. Its full gas racing unlike the typical group ride approach at most PPA races. 

There was Cat 1, 2, 3 and theres is usually not enough numbers for cat 4. I rode cat 3 and yeah it was k**k hard but it acted as launch pad for me to pursue proper training.  Based on your CTCT time you could probably be solid it Cat 2 but if thats too easy you can always mix it up with the big boys in the next race.

There was about 5-6 races if I remember correctly. Slanghoek, Paarl de Ville, Redhill, Atlantis etc

Sounds hectic, excuse my ignorance but how do the categories work?

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

I see WP Cycling has started putting events up for the winter road league on their site: https://www.wpcycling.com/event-calendar/cat_ids~51

Some very ignorant questions, because I can’t find a lot of info online:

As a non-elite, how worth it is it for me to look at doing these events?

What categories are there, and what category would I likely find myself in (3:02 CTCT from &, 37 year old male)?

How many events are there usually in the league?

When does it normally end?

thanks!

You will be fine in Cat 2, give it a go.

No frills, no waterpoints, no medals (for participation) - just racing on your road bike and the opportunity to improve your cycling ability.

9 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Sounds hectic, excuse my ignorance but how do the categories work?

Hectic in a good kind of way though or I am just a sucker for punishment. I dont actually remember if there was a specific metric for seeding. But a lot of people would self seed. A lot of "racing snakes" would run from the heat in cat one and drop to cat 2. 

But one thing about WP racing it wont take you long to know if you are in the wrong cat. For context , I rode 3:33 at the 2022 CTCT and rode cat 3 at WP.

Ps. Make sure you do Veldriff to Veldriff its an epic race thats also part of the league now.

1 hour ago, Cippo said:

Which licence is required for the league? This one?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 20.37.28.png

At least for Cat 2 and lower the normal CSA membership is fine, not sure about Cat 1

Csa membership isn’t a racing licence, you buy the racing license on top of the membership (for some reason)

Fun story, 2 weeks back i had to visit the Fisantekraal area, for the 1st time in 15-or 20-odd years….

It was then that I DROVE OVER - was reminded of - THE BRIDGE -; a bridge that we raced over in the League series, all those years ago…

Significance of the bridge was that, after some hardish racing, a group would come across the bridge in the OCCULTDALE/ WELLINGTONADDERLY road area, and if you did not IMMEDIATELY stand and give 1000% percent, the entire group fractured into 2 groups; the MANNE in the front groups, and the WANNA-BE’s getting BLOWN out the back!

Somebody please remind where that short, but sharp, bridge is located; it gave me a FEW sleepless nites!!!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KidCharlemagne said:

Does cat1 = elites, cat2=30+, cat3=40+ or is age irrelevant?

Unsure as to how accurate this is but it gives some idea ...

20240407_180004.jpg

20240407_180020.jpg

20240407_180039.jpg

20240407_180102.jpg

Edited by Thomo

How many ride in Cat 4 ?

Is this racing only, or are there fun riders in Cat 4 ?