GX cassette replacement

TPN

Hi hubbers,

I am looking for some advice. 
The GX cassette on my MTB needs to be replaced. Apart from fitting another GX cassette, I am considering two other options.

1. Using a SunRace CSMZ91X WT5 10-50T cassette. It uses XD hubs. It's almost half the cost of the GX. I am seeing mixed reviews on this cassette.

2. Replacing the XD hubs with Microspline and using an SLX or XT cassette. This works out simular in price to a GX cassette. In the long run it might be cheaper.

What do you suggest? 

I would not mix and match 

Although it might 'work' sram runs at its best with brand on brand.

Get a 10-50 from bike addict for like 4k i think , if you look after the chain a gx cassette still gives lots of life.

Shimano is a cheaper ecosystem and if changing the freehub i would change all together cause again , brand on brand works best.

If you do go with the sunrace or shim cassette+ freehub option, either way it will probably work okay but will give less milage and worse quality shifting 

I'm running Sram Lunar with Shimano XT cassette and chain. Has never missed a beat, shifts fast and quiet even shifting under load is smooth. My main reason was Shimano's ratios is just so much better than Sram and the overall smoother quiet ride is definitely a plus. 

That said I was building my bike from scratch with that in mind. Some freebodies are inexpensive and some are m#&r duur. So it might be cheaper just to go with the same cassette again. 

Thanks guys. I see Keanbikes has a very good price for the GX cassette. I will go that route.

5 hours ago, TPN said:

Hi hubbers,

The GX cassette on my MTB needs to be replaced. Apart from fitting another GX cassette, I am considering two other options.

1. Using a SunRace CSMZ91X WT5 10-50T cassette. It uses XD hubs. It's almost half the cost of the GX. I am seeing mixed reviews on this cassette.

2. Replacing the XD hubs with Microspline and using an SLX or XT cassette. This works out simular in price to a GX cassette. In the long run it might be cheaper.

What do you suggest? 

Just go with sram, had a few clients at the Epic with mixed up Shimano and sram parts, the pickups get worn off on odd shifts.

Would suggest just bite the bullet, you won't be disappointed !

071 491 4594 

Pop me a whatsapp if you want we also have some cassets (new) chains and chainrings ! 10/52 T or 10/50T

Kindest

Edited by Bicycle Yard WESTERN CAPE
Added info

5 hours ago, TPN said:

Hi hubbers,

What do you suggest? 

Id personally go for a gx Cassette again. Currently running a gx cassette with 2 x01 chains and a xx1 chainring, switching chains every 500km, heard you can get some serious milage with that type of setup. 

9 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Id personally go for a gx Cassette again. Currently running a gx cassette with 2 x01 chains and a xx1 chainring, switching chains every 500km, heard you can get some serious milage with that type of setup. 

what do you mean switching chains every 500km ? You throw them away ?

My current GX cassette has 9500km and is as new, and I thought I was a bit extreme changing chains every 2000km or so, I'm running those KMC Gold Ti with hot wax melt setup and squirt top ups, and they hit the .25 wear mark at around that mileage, I'm sure with a XX1 chain I would do triple that distance. If I were to change chain every 500km I'd change them every week and half..

Edited by Jbr

44 minutes ago, Jbr said:

My current GX cassette has 9500km and is as new, and I thought I was a bit extreme changing chains every 2000km or so, I'm running those KMC Gold Ti with hot wax melt setup and squirt top ups, and they hit the .25 wear mark at around that mileage, I'm sure with a XX1 chain I would do triple that distance. If I were to change chain every 500km I'd change them every week and half..

I assume the poster means he rotates a set of chains at 500km intervals.

Re XX1 chains ... I get about 3500km out of them .... so not cheaper to run than other chains but they seem to run a lot cleaner which in turn saves the cassette. I did 13000km on the last X01 cassette which included some hectic mud crunching up in Africa

44 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Re XX1 chains ... I get about 3500km out of them .... so not cheaper to run than other chains but they seem to run a lot cleaner which in turn saves the cassette. I did 13000km on the last X01 cassette which included some hectic mud crunching up in Africa

59 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

I hope so although I don't really see the point of that, why not just clean the one chain and replace it once it's passed the .25 mark ? because once your two chains are passed that, you'll start chewing your cassette anyways

Edited by Jbr

18 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I hope so although I don't really see the point of that, why not just clean the one chain and replace it once it's passed the .25 mark ? because once your two chains are passed that, you'll start chewing your cassette anyways

The argument people use is that by rotating chains like this the cassette take less strain... ie it is ridden for longer at less worn chains.

PS: I do not rotate and just replace at 0.5 wear

3 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

The argument people use is that by rotating chains like this the cassette take less strain... ie it is ridden for longer at less worn chains.

PS: I do not rotate and just replace at 0.5 wear

yeah I've had a chain skip on a fresh chainring at just about .25 so I don't wait further to change chains those KMC's aren't that expensive and well rated in the friction tests so worth it imo

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

Yep switch them every 500km 👍🏼