Bike Carriers

Dashen

31 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Been to one in Bellville and one back in Pta, both refuse, want to sell me a new Proride 598 .... 🙈

Hi, did Thule try fitting a standard lock barrel with key. Not sure if it would work but the barrels all seem to be interchangeable old and new. I have a few old plastic barrels you are welcome to try. They should lock the same but not with a flat screwdriver like yours.  

20240327_144312.jpg

The Thule dealer in Retreat, Cape Town, Orka Paddles, says:

Yes we can definitely help, we can order the part for him.

Please ask him to get in touch with us either here on email (orkapaddles@gmail.com) or on 021 701 7913

Ive had phenomenal service in-store at two of the Thule dealers (Cape Town area). Probably helps to actually be inside the store speaking one-on-one with someone (so they can se the desperation in your eyes 😁).

3 hours ago, TheoG said:

Been to one in Bellville and one back in Pta, both refuse, want to sell me a new Proride 598 .... 🙈

Bellville Willowbridge ?

Certainly not the service I have received over the past few years.  

Hope this was a once off glitch from their side .... they normally are very helpful.

1. Defintely get a platform rack.
2. Invest in a good one, it will last close to a lifetime.

7b. I'm selling a Westfalia 3 bike platform rack. Reviewed here on Bike Hub. If anyone is keen let me know, I just need to scrub it then get it listed in the classifieds.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:06 PM, ChrisF said:

Bellville Willowbridge ?

Certainly not the service I have received over the past few years.  

Hope this was a once off glitch from their side .... they normally are very helpful.

Yes it was at Willowbridge.

And yes they were friendly and helpful, but as far as supplying parts, no way.

Seems like that is the business model in SA, since in other countries it is very possible to buy all the spare parts I need:

image.png.5119662f8f2822d63f22834596eb594d.png

21 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Yes it was at Willowbridge.

And yes they were friendly and helpful, but as far as supplying parts, no way.

Seems like that is the business model in SA, since in other countries it is very possible to buy all the spare parts I need:

image.png.5119662f8f2822d63f22834596eb594d.png

Seems like they weren't really helpful then 

I have used this type mount for one bike (hardtail and road) for a couple of years, not the easiest to load the bike but for the price it works great. Just make sure about the exhaust and tyre placement. I bought replacement straps for R80

For more than 2 bikes you will want to go the platform style, much easier to load the bikes

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/bike-racks/708494/thule-xpress-2-bike-carrier

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/bike-racks/708711/rubber-bike-rack-strap

Edited by Jensie

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody in the Western Cape had a Brink towbar fitted locally? Web search only comes up with authorised fitment centres up country. I have emailed Brink for a list of WC fitment centres but no response yet.

Also, anybody using a detachable towbar? What is it like to use?