Bike Carriers

Dashen

Hi all. I am new to the cycling game and just purchased a SignalS930. I wanted to find out what vehicle carrier I should look at? are all carriers versatile? 

any suggestions? 

thanks

Morning Dashen

Personal choice , vehicle specific and/or application requirements...

So if you have a bakkie/trailer there are a few options on which a bike can be loaded onto...towbar specific carriers - hanging/ride-on type...I prefer ride-on type - bike is fixed onto a carrier.... or the type you "strap" to your vehicle (normally used on hatchbacks).

And last but not least ... how big is your wallet ...

I have a thule since 2006, holdfast since 2020 ... no issues on either thusfar ... so a few brands you can have a look at Buzzrack,Thule or Holdfast.I am sure there are more threads on this topic...

I can write a lengthy analysis on ...

Ley's cut the chase: Thule.

Your children will be happy when they inherit it one day (and will probably be able to get parts for it then too).

Hi @Dashen,

Not the most experienced here with bike racks but have had a couple of experiences.

For the sake of saving you time my answer is Thule all the way.

However, I have not tried Buzzrack or Holdfast, but I did try a cheaper alternative rack (similar design to Thule) but had endless problems with parts continuously breaking and half the rack not being able to be used due to having to wait for parts.

In the supplier's defense, they were great with their aftersales support but the product was just not of great quality. "It costs a lot of money to buy cheap", was the moral of the story with this specific item.

I also had a Thule hang-on towbar mounted, but you need to be careful how you load and secure your bike (specially wheels) as they can end up touching the ground, your car or worst be in the way of your exhaust. The last one can happen with the Thule Euroway, but you can buy deflectors to protect your wheels/bike.

Good luck on your bike rack purchase!

I have the Holdfast 2 Bike tilting rack -https://holdfast.co.za/product/platform-sports-tilt
I have had 1 issue with it after 3 years, they replaced the entire rack for me.

I will need to upgrade this when the kids get older and would only look at Thule or Holdfast.
As mentioned above, it will depend on your budget, vehicle and number of bicycles you need to transport.

You have lots of options with that bike, since it's a hardtail without a shock sitting in the triangle, although bottle cage placement can be an issue if it's a small frame.

If your car doesn't have a towbar, that will be where the main expense is. You can pick up used bikeracks -- Holdfast and Thule -- very cheaply. Just avoid the old Holdfast ones with wheels for the clamps.

The problem with the cheapish towbar racks - the hang on types - is that it is very easy to scratch your car if you misjudge the putting your bike on/off process even slightly. That scratch will cost more to fix than the cost of a proper bike rack. I have also never felt that my bike is quite secure on that setup, especially if you add another one.

If you car can fit a roofrack I would go for that, for me that was the best option. 2nd one of those mounted platform racks (although the Thule people are recommending here is stupid expensive nowadays, probably worth more than your bike)

Edited by Skubarra

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. Much appreciated. I have a towbar and ideally would like to exercise that option for the mount. will definitely scout around but would invest in something durable and recommended like the Thule.

40 minutes ago, Dashen said:

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. Much appreciated. I have a towbar and ideally would like to exercise that option for the mount. will definitely scout around but would invest in something durable and recommended like the Thule.

Yeah towbar mount is ideal.. the straps can scratch and you’ll have issues with insurance if you are going to insure.. they don’t like the strap ones.. get a thule tow bar mount and forget about it.. 🤙🏻

What do these go for? as i phoned Thule and they said R3500 and i contacted another supplier and they say R13500. Obviously, the bells & whistles added but is that really necessary.

1 hour ago, Dashen said:

What do these go for? as i phoned Thule and they said R3500 and i contacted another supplier and they say R13500. Obviously, the bells & whistles added but is that really necessary.

The R 3 500 is a towbar mount hang on thing.

download.png.35b828e5076aa0cbd11a68d84e7ba014.png

The R 13 500 is a proper platform rack.

Screen_Shot_2019-03-08_at_3_03.39_PM_1024x1024@2x.webp.3e5eab086656ea2eb7b6570a6bb6e7cb.webp

The towbar options for Thule are all here:
https://thulestore.co.za/catalog/category/view/s/towbar-bike-racks/id/116/

and Holdfast here:
https://holdfast.co.za/towball-mounted
You can find the simplest ones for R500 on Facebook marketplace. 
Just remember that a 2-bike carrier is best for one bike and a 3-bike carrier best for 2 -- otherwise the risk of scratching frames is quite high without major padding / pool noodles etc between them.  

Anyone know where in SA I can get proper support from Thule?  Where they actually want to help fixing and not try to ONLY sell new stuff?

I'm specifically looking for this part:  52677

Getting it abroad no problem:  https://www.roofracks.co.uk/under-tray-clip/p/4400

But locally they seem to be not interested to even try to help .... 🙁

6 hours ago, TheoG said:

Anyone know where in SA I can get proper support from Thule?  Where they actually want to help fixing and not try to ONLY sell new stuff?

I'm specifically looking for this part:  52677

Getting it abroad no problem:  https://www.roofracks.co.uk/under-tray-clip/p/4400

But locally they seem to be not interested to even try to help .... 🙁

Apologies if this is a stupid question but have you been to one of the Thule stores, last time I needed a spare part the store ordered one for me