Help needed if you can! Basil Cohen: Cycling history in South Africa

pmswanepoel

Hi all, I am a historian writing on and researching the history of cycling in South Africa. I am looking for a book called "Basil Cohen: South Africa's Mr. Cycling".

Online searches have proven futile!

I believe Mr Cohen's family is still around, though my attempts to contact them have failed. 

Thanks!

Edited by pmswanepoel
spelling

Contact crown Cycles in Lansdowne , Cape Town. The shop is run by the Cloete brothers. Their dad was an avid cyclist and rode races on both sides of the apartheid curtain. He may know how to assist you.

Basil was a great guy, 

He was our club Chairman (Northern Wheelers) and I often attended committee meetings at his house.

I also went training with him and  the former Italy Olympic team coach who set my position properly. 

His commentary on Sunday afternoons at the track were legendary. and for me one commentary of a Kermesse in Boksburg where he was in a cop car behind the bunch using the cop radio. I jumped at the bell and managed to tuck in behind the lead cop motor bike and heard exactly what was happening  in the bunch over his radio loudspeaker.  ( Fortunately he could not see the massive tow I got from the motor bike4. 

• 1 month later...

I am researching the history of cycling too. Although, my focus is on Cape Town and my work will be part of a book called cycling cities Africa. Have you seen the book "Cycling Cities: The Johannesburg Experience" ?? I have a digital copy If you would like to read it. 

I am at the point where I am putting together a photographic essay to go with my text, If anyone reads this and has old pictures or information (from 1900-2024) about cycling, cyclists, and anything related to cycling please feel free to share. 

11 hours ago, Christopher P. said:

I am researching the history of cycling too. Although, my focus is on Cape Town and my work will be part of a book called cycling cities Africa. Have you seen the book "Cycling Cities: The Johannesburg Experience" ?? I have a digital copy If you would like to read it. 

I am at the point where I am putting together a photographic essay to go with my text, If anyone reads this and has old pictures or information (from 1900-2024) about cycling, cyclists, and anything related to cycling please feel free to share. 

PM me the electronic copy as per the above, tx.