Advice on Dual Suspension Bike

StaticX

hi @StaticX

Maybe post some links of the bikes you fancy here and we can advise you more accurately.

I am around 1.88 and I ride XL. I have often wondered about perhaps riding L but when I sit on one it feels cramped. Maybe, go to a bike shop and sit around on a few sizes between L and XL and see what feels better.

Nothing worse than getting an ill-fitting bike that you spend hours on and start feeling cramped in the cockpit.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly as Robbie says. That bike has a 460mm reach, which is more in the realm of a size M these days. For reference I am 175cm and my size M Ibis is the same size as that Trek (reach wise). It could work for you, but may feel a bit cramped. A proper ride would be needed to see if you end up with any aches and pains which could indicate a substandard fit

Edited by thebob

34 minutes ago, StaticX said:

Hi Everyone

Once again for all the feedback and advise.

Currently waiting on feedback from the sellers on some more details.

All the bikes are large frames, I'm 1.85m.

Regarding the Trek, its black with red stickers, but it seems to be 2x gearing. I asked the seller to confirm the groupset setup.

I should maybe take more time on this and see what else comes up for sale in the next few weeks, luckily there is no hurry.

Its just difficult knowing what to look for when you don't know the parts, i google the parts when i read the marketplace ads to get some sort of information and then also comparison reviews

The trek is a the smallest Large in that group. That’s mostly due to its age than anything else. I don’t think it will be too small for you at all but it will require a 70-80mm stem to fit you which won’t go down well with the fashion police 

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

The Trek is the most versatile bike in the posted selection. The Pyga is nice but heavy and heavier than the Trek (which is also alloy I assume) 

Something to watch out for with the Pyga 110 29 alloy frames is that they crack on the seat tube below the top rocker link cradle. Make sure you insure the bike if you opt for it.

How does insurance cover a frame failure if it's not caused through an accident?

Carbon Trek Top Fuels are known to fail in the same place. Happened to my brother and warrantees without quibble into a new Suoercaliber.

6 minutes ago, love2fly said:

How does insurance cover a frame failure if it's not caused through an accident?

Carbon Trek Top Fuels are known to fail in the same place. Happened to my brother and warrantees without quibble into a new Suoercaliber.

If its mentioned beforehand and you're covered for all risk then why not 

I claimed a frame in 2016 that broke and i was not the original owner , paid out no fuss 

31 minutes ago, love2fly said:

What he says 👇🏼

25 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I claimed a frame in 2016 that broke and i was not the original owner , paid out no fuss 

31 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

5 years ago my frame cracked. Insurance and Ombud rejected claim on basis that it wasn't accident-induced but "wear and tear" Santam via a broker....  Frame replaced under warranty.

My bikes are insured and specified ....

I second the - more modern geo and sizing vs older with fancy components - like what Bob said. The very modern slacker than 64deg enduro bikes have little place in SA terrain. Longer is also not always better from a trail riding point of view and bigger bikes don't corner was well or easily as slightly shorter bikes. 

That said, you'd get used to anything and adapt to whatever you get within reason. 

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What he says 👇🏼

Lifted from my Cyclesure policy document.....

"An unexpected and unforeseen event. It can be a single incident, or series of incidents
related to the same cause, that results in loss of or damage to your cycling equipment."

Edited by love2fly

16 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Lifted from my Cyclesure policy document.....

"An unexpected and unforeseen event. It can be a single incident, or series of incidents
related to the same cause, that results in loss of or damage to your cycling equipment."

Is that under exclusions ? If so then you need to shop around for a better all risks cover. Santam is no longer the leader. In fact I’m having several issues with santam, one that might go all the way to court

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Is that under exclusions ? If so then you need to shop around for a better all risks cover. Santam is no longer the leader. In fact I’m having several issues with santam, one that might go all the way to court

Nope, that's the Insured Event definition.

The claim that got warranteed was rejected by .....Santam....

2 hours ago, love2fly said:

5 years ago my frame cracked. Insurance and Ombud rejected claim on basis that it wasn't accident-induced but "wear and tear" Santam via a broker....  Frame replaced under warranty.

My bikes are insured and specified ....

Okay no doubt 

but I literally fine comb my policy multiple times to make sure of every possible eventuality 

I now have a broker and still went through it myself.

If i get home tomorrow and my frame has spontaneously developed a crack I have little to zero doubt they'll pay out.

Hi Guys

Okay so majority of the biks so far have been 2015 to 2017 specs, the Pyga i found out today is a 2012.

What bikes would you guys advise to look out for in the R20k to R30k mark when looking for a more modern bike?

1 hour ago, StaticX said:

Hi Guys

Okay so majority of the biks so far have been 2015 to 2017 specs, the Pyga i found out today is a 2012.

What bikes would you guys advise to look out for in the R20k to R30k mark when looking for a more modern bike?

There’s a few titan cyphers in that price range  2nd hand