Advice on training/motivation slump

sias

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You guys are serious!

I have a small ride in November and have no idea where I am re tracking/fitness.

I find if I exercise 4 or 5 times a week, be it running, riding, surfing, trainer, stretching/yoga, golf etc I am fine to turn things over.

Consistency is key and being less focussed and more open to change/variety/rest also keeps me going. I find being too structured/chasing goals sometimes kills my motivation and/or keenness

I see exercise like I see parenting. A little bit of good stuff every day is better than grand gestures and inconsistency.

Years of 'lifestyle' exercise is tweekable and trainable, but if you're not exciting the ticker and keeping the blood flowing most days you're always playing a 'training for' game instead of a 'this is life' type thing.

I'm not saying this will get you into racing groups, that takes tweeking and training, but a very wise Kenyan runner once said, 'you have to run for years before you can train to race'

100% on the lifestyle

if im not getting up early in the morning to train, it’s like I’ve not done a basic morning routine.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just lucky ... I ride because I want to not because I have to for some reason (race, goal etc.)

My family also are at a point where they arrange things around the fact that I will more than likely ride in the morning (besides Mondays), and if I don't go they'll ask why and send me out if its a trivial reason

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I track my progress on Elevate. It helps to see where you are in relation to the same time in prior years.

As can be seen in this graph, one crash and some rain and the steady gains plateau pretty quick.

image.png.bfccd614caa3f64144fa18989f7e5f98.png

At least you doing better than the Rand.🤙🏻

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

and since I found out that I can live link an excel spreadsheet to intervals.icu I also have a tracker running on there. More just to satisfy my tinkering spirit though.

I'm a bit of a data nerd, but I work with data so I suppose it comes naturally. I didn't know about intervals.icu allowing Excel tracking. Mmmmm.

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm a bit of a data nerd, but I work with data so I suppose it comes naturally. I didn't know about intervals.icu allowing Excel tracking. Mmmmm.

Me too, also a data nerd, love playing with numbers, only recently found out about intervals.icu allowing the excel tracking and promptly went ahead and spent to many hours playing.