Stolen: Specialized Turbo Levo (orange) - without battery 2016 (Western Cape)

MTBAustria

9 hours ago, Oliver1012 said:

I am not an active cyclist and signed up with bike hub when we went through a cycling phase. The price did not sound right but I never gave it so much thought. My son buy and sells regularly on FB so it was not an activity out of the ordinary. Lesson learnt 

I understand that but, to me, it throws "buy and sells regularly on FB" into question as he could just be a safe conduit to launder money from stolen goods, maybe inadvertently but ignorance is no excuse in law. A forgiving owner, lax SAPS and the SA justice system may let it slide but it is the type of thing that could result in a criminal record. I would reconsider the "model".

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Barry said:

@MTBAustria was last active on Monday. Maybe @Matt can pop him a mail or heads-up on developments.

and if the insurance enters the triangle it becomes a square...  Hopefully, this stays a straight line.

32 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

I understand that but, to me, it throws "buy and sells regularly on FB" into question as he could just be a safe conduit to launder money from stolen goods, maybe inadvertently but ignorance is no excuse in law. A forgiving owner, lax SAPS and the SA justice system may let it slide but it is the type of thing that could result in a criminal record. I would reconsider the "model".

He buys and sell smaller items like clothing and computer parts, this is the first time he bought a bicycle to resell but I understand and agree with you ignorance is no excuse and that is why I said lesson learnt (both morally and financially as this set him back 6k total that is a big chunk for an 18 year old).

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Calm down there bud. If you buy stolen goods 'unknowingly' and refuse or hide them from the police when they want to confiscate, then it's jail time.

If you give it up willingly and/or return it to the police there is largely no recourse.

Edited by Pandatron

25 minutes ago, Oliver1012 said:

He buys and sell smaller items like clothing and computer parts, this is the first time he bought a bicycle to resell but I understand and agree with you ignorance is no excuse and that is why I said lesson learnt (both morally and financially as this set him back 6k total that is a big chunk for an 18 year old).

R6k now?

Lessons for all. If you drove all the way to Kylemore, you would have at least googled the cost of the item new first. This is what comes up for me as the first search item.

https://specializedbicyclesafrica.com/products/levo-alloy-blk-ltsil-blk-s1

R90k. 

I was going to preach from a high horse, but instead figured this would be a better clip despite it only being marginally relevant to the issue.

12 hours ago, Barry said:

@MTBAustria was last active on Monday. Maybe @Matt can pop him a mail or heads-up on developments.

I have emailed the OP to ensure they're aware & can make contact (only details they have supplied). 🤞

It is close to Friday so another angle for the CPO to consider

So what is an 8-year-old tech eBike that is missing its major components worth? 

Out of warranty, no service history, resprayed but chipped, no battery so I assume no charger, unknown motor condition 

Must be close to paper weight status  

6 minutes ago, Milosh said:

Out of warranty, no service history, resprayed but chipped, no battery so I assume no charger, unknown motor condition 

was advertised for resale at R25k......

9 minutes ago, Milosh said:

There is a similar spec levo for sale on hub incl battery going for R35k

56 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

R6k now?

Lessons for all. If you drove all the way to Kylemore, you would have at least googled the cost of the item new first. This is what comes up for me as the first search item.

https://specializedbicyclesafrica.com/products/levo-alloy-blk-ltsil-blk-s1

R90k. 

I was going to preach from a high horse, but instead figured this would be a better clip despite it only being marginally relevant to the issue.

Ya 6k with the service cost. Not sure where kylemore is but he met the seller at Boland college. Contacted stellenbosh police station this morning to report the purchase, they said they will call me back after they searched their records for the case number. 

30 minutes ago, Oliver1012 said:

Ya 6k with the service cost. Not sure where kylemore is but he met the seller at Boland college. Contacted stellenbosh police station this morning to report the purchase, they said they will call me back after they searched their records for the case number. 

Maybe Bottlery Hills have a contact or number. 

Screenshot_20240425_103557_Chrome.jpg

Now to see if we can find the other bike as two were stolen. 

Edited by Barry

We have found two of them. Another Levo hard tail without a battery was reported to Specialized Stellies..
So there were 3 bikes stolen in 2 days.
The second Levo we found and have the sellers number, but he's not answering, SPAS have his details
Same guys, cause they came back onto our farm the next night to take the last bike. 
No sign of the Scott Contessa yet.