Buying New Bike

mspalk

I am looking for a new dual suspension mountain bike to buy, around 8-9 000 Rand, and am not sure what to buy. I want a good bike, with good parts that I can use for jumping and offroading alike. I have looked around, but am having trouble finding anything. If you want to suggest nything, or if you have a bike to sell, then message me.

1 hour ago, mspalk said:

I am looking for a new dual suspension mountain bike to buy, around 8-9 000 Rand, and am not sure what to buy. I want a good bike, with good parts that I can use for jumping and offroading alike. I have looked around, but am having trouble finding anything. If you want to suggest nything, or if you have a bike to sell, then message me.

If you want a new dual suspension good bike you have to spend good money.
sorry, but the budget doesn't match the request, why not second hand , maybe hardtail maybe 26" or 27,5" wheels maybe all of that and your budget matches.

52 minutes ago, Brakepad said:

If you want a new dual suspension good bike you have to spend good money.
sorry, but the budget doesn't match the request, why not second hand , maybe hardtail maybe 26" or 27,5" wheels maybe all of that and your budget matches.

I think he is saying new to him bike. But yeah 8/9k not going to get much if anything. 

Don't. There are no cheap dual suspensions, what you save on the bike you pay for on repairs. Been there, done that. Rather wait or buy a hardtail.

So an entry level dual sus starts at R16999.99 like the Titan Cypher Sport RS or 120, when on sale.
You can generally upgrade this to a 12spd drivetrain for R3000 - R4000. I think they're at R28999.99 now at all your big bike shops.

Current cheapest option is the Silverback Stratos AL Elite MS from Cycle Lab, they have on promo for R24999.99 if you want something decent to get into. Decent Suntour suspension and even has UD dropouts so if you're really feeling adventurous, you can upgrade to a Sram Transmission drivetrain, but more importantly, hangers will be widely available at all most all bike stores.
Decently spec'd bike and has 11spd Microshift which is actually quite decent, of course not comparable to a 12spd Deore or Sram SX, but it'll get the job done. 

Your cheapies that you'll find new for sub R15k will be your steel Raleighs, Totems, etc from your big box stores like Game and Makro. I can not recommend more to not buy this. It will put you off cycling for possibly your entire life.
You will have a crappy time from the get go, and when you have problems, nobody in those stores will help you, because they dont know how to help you.

Perhaps get a decent hardtail. Look at something with a 10spd Deore, like a Stride Deluxe.
Or, if you're willing to spend R10k, look at the Marvel Prime that Cycle Lab currently has on promo. It has a Sram SX drivetrain with a Suntour air fork. I think the next closest bike with similar spec is at R18k. Plus you got the protection of dealing with a cycling specific store that has knowledgeable staff and will support and look after you. This of course goes for all cycling specific outlets, they're all super friendly and always willing to help.

Edited by Bl4d3

I am 1.55, so I usually have a medium or small frame with a 26" or 27.5"

well thats perfect. this is ONLY available in a small, and while a little outside your budget, you wont come close to this kind of value anywhere else, and wont need to do any upgrades for a long time:

https://www.decathlon.co.za/mountain-bikes/308986-14749-xc-500-29-rr-cn-fr.html

i think you can even use payflex, so split it over 4 payments (every 2 weeks) interest free.

Edited by RossTopher

Well, I am looking for a full suspension... But Maybe I could buy a cheap bike and then upgrade it??? I am quite new to the biking community, but I do know what I am looking for.

In your first post you mention jumping. I'm assuming you also want to do some "aggressive" trail riding with this bike. If it was me, I'd rather do this type of riding on a hardtail with better suited geometry and dropper post, than on an old xc dual suspension with no dropper.

I spotted this Trek Roscoe that looks in (dare I say it) mint condition. Maybe a fork upgrade down the line when more funds are available. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/704887/trek-roscoe-7 

7 hours ago, RossTopher said:

well thats perfect. this is ONLY available in a small, and while a little outside your budget, you wont come close to this kind of value anywhere else, and wont need to do any upgrades for a long time:

https://www.decathlon.co.za/mountain-bikes/308986-14749-xc-500-29-rr-cn-fr.html

i think you can even use payflex, so split it over 4 payments (every 2 weeks) interest free.

Holy **** thats a flippen good deal. R14k for a GX hardtail with a Rockshox Reba and Sunringle Duroc 30 wheelset.

3 hours ago, Bl4d3 said:

Holy **** thats a flippen good deal. R14k for a GX hardtail with a Rockshox Reba and Sunringle Duroc 30 wheelset.

And for enduro riding, is this still fine?? I'm just saying that a full suspension is much nicer and comfortable to ride. But if I am looking for a full suspension, I won't find anything for that price???

I just am not sure if that bike will really be the right thing.

3 minutes ago, mspalk said:

And for enduro riding, is this still fine?? I'm just saying that a full suspension is much nicer and comfortable to ride. But if I am looking for a full suspension, I won't find anything for that price???

I just am not sure if that bike will really be the right thing.

Enduro, no, won't be suitable in my opinion. Some people ride hardtails in enduro events, but for really you'd want something with a longer travel, at least 140mm IMO.

Look at something like the Titan Skyrim LT, but this is way out of your budget, they start at around R25k.

What about financing? Some outlets offer finance options over 12 - 48 months? If you go this route, just make sure you can afford it and what the total amount is you'll pay back.