Aero wheels vs Climbing wheels

Prince

I'm pretty light (around 63kg last time I checked) and I use zipp 404 tubular wheels in all weather conditions. As BikeMax said, the crosswind effect is exagerated. The only warning I can give you is that the breaking power isn't as good as an aluminium rim when its raining. That said I used them this weekend at Bonnievale and had no problems. Except that I hit a railway line and the front wheel went out of true...

In my opinion the Zipp 404 is the best value wheel your going to find. (Well the best high end performance wheel) They are light and aero and you will notice the difference when you ride them, I guarentee it. The important thing to remember is they are specifically racing wheels, so if you plan to train on them then buy something else!
Cocaine2006-11-07 08:02:24

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aerodynamic wheels are one of the biggest marketing successing that we cyclist have lapped up.

The designers throw number at us and we go Confused wow...

But the basic principals of aerodyanmics remain unchanged. Frontal area still governs the ultimate aero performance. All the smoothing of airflow of the rim is churned up by the spokes a they move from 3o'clock to 9 o'clock, thereafter the relative velocity of each drops and it plays less of a roll.

The biggest gains that avergae Joe can make is to get leaner,  and thus get lower on the bike.

Wear a helmet that's aerodynamic.

These have more of an effect on your ultimate speed than whether you ride ZIpp 404 or Mavic Open pro's laced to Record hubs.

For wheels, weight is farmore important than the aerodynamics but light weight aero wheels do have advantages.  They just cost too muchAngry

But aero carbon wheels like Zipp are still the ultimate piece of bling most people want.

sure, because it's bling,not because they'll ride faster. Maybe the placebo effect will make them go faster but this wears off.

Then theres the cross wind effect. Aerowheel are terribl in crosswinds.

All an aero wheel does is give the manufacturer more space to throw their logo in your face. It's called marketing

Never under estimate the bling effect. Watches are the best example, Rolex at R25K Casio at R500. Both tell you what the time is!!

Aerodynamic wheels are one of the biggest marketing successing that we cyclist have lapped up.

But the basic principals of aerodyanmics remain unchanged. Frontal area still governs the ultimate aero performance. All the smoothing of airflow of the rim is churned up by the spokes a they move from 3o'clock to 9 o'clock' date=' thereafter the relative velocity of each drops and it plays less of a roll.

The biggest gains that avergae Joe can make is to get leaner,  and thus get lower on the bike.

These have more of an effect on your ultimate speed than whether you ride ZIpp 404 or Mavic Open pro's laced to Record hubs.

For wheels, weight is farmore important than the aerodynamics but light weight aero wheels do have advantages.  They just cost too muchAngry
[/quote']

Go Lefty - see table below - you are correct about frontal area and aero hemet but I think you underestimate the significance of aero wheels (front particularly)

I would go for aero over weight any day (within reason) due to the speed at which we ride and the relatively small effect weight has on the power needed to produce that speed.

The aero shopping list, ranked by Kyle (13), shows possibilities of reducing aerodynamic drag.

The costs are rough estimates; the proportional reduction of aero

drag are relative to a conventional racing cycle and a rider with

the usual racing clothing (racing shorts, jersey, cotton socks,

gloves with knit backs) and without a helmet; the time gained is

relative to a 40 km time trial at approximately 37 km/h - elapsed

time 1 h 5 min. At higher speeds the time gained becomes smaller

because of the shorter riding time.

Aero Shopping List

Approx. Cost

Aerodynamic
Advantage

Time saved over
40 km

Costs per % of
Aerodynamic Advantage

Part

DM

%

seconds

DM/%

Remove water bottle and cage

Tape over shoe laces

Pump under top tube instead of in
front of seat tube

Shave the legs

Remove the small chain ring

Fill the front tire gap at the rim

Benotto Aero bottle with cage

Smooth nylon socks

Pearl lzumi lycra shoe covers

Aero helmet. ANSI approved. Bell
Stratos.

Aero front wheel: Araya aero rim,

28 Hoshi bladed spokes,

Dura Ace hub,

Avocet 190 g tire

One-piece skin suit, short sleeves
and legs

Aero rear wheel: as above, but 32
spokes

Aero brakes and levers, Dia Compe
AGC 300

Gloves with Lycra backs

Disk wheel in front

Clipless pedals

Disk wheel in back

Cinelli aero bar

Edco Competition Aero crank set

Shimano Sante aero Schaltung

But the basic principals of aerodyanmics remain unchanged. Frontal area still governs the ultimate aero performance. All the smoothing of airflow of the rim is churned up by the spokes a they move from 3o'clock to 9 o'clock' date=' thereafter the relative velocity of each drops and it plays less of a roll.

[/quote']

Go Lefty - see table below - you are correct about frontal area and aero hemet but I think you underestimate the significance of aero wheels (front particularly)

I would go for aero over weight any day (within reason) due to the speed at which we ride and the relatively small effect weight has on the power needed to produce that speed.

The aero shopping list, ranked by Kyle (13), shows possibilities of reducing aerodynamic drag. The costs are rough estimates; the proportional reduction of aero drag are relative to a conventional racing cycle and a rider with the usual racing clothing (racing shorts, jersey, cotton socks, gloves with knit backs) and without a helmet; the time gained is relative to a 40 km time trial at approximately 37 km/h - elapsed time 1 h 5 min. At higher speeds the time gained becomes smaller because of the shorter riding time.

Aero Shopping List

Approx. Cost

Aerodynamic Advantage

Time saved over 40 km

Costs per % of Aerodynamic Advantage

Part

DM

%

seconds

DM/%

Remove water bottle and cage

Tape over shoe laces

Pump under top tube instead of in front of seat tube

Shave the legs

Remove the small chain ring

Fill the front tire gap at the rim

Benotto Aero bottle with cage

Smooth nylon socks

Pearl lzumi lycra shoe covers

Aero helmet. ANSI approved. Bell Stratos.

Aero front wheel: Araya aero rim,
28 Hoshi bladed spokes,
Dura Ace hub,
Avocet 190 g tire

One-piece skin suit, short sleeves and legs

Aero rear wheel: as above, but 32 spokes

Aero brakes and levers, Dia Compe AGC 300

Gloves with Lycra backs

Disk wheel in front

Clipless pedals

Disk wheel in back

Cinelli aero bar

Edco Competition Aero crank set

Shimano Sante aero Schaltung

I would have thought the table credible if tehy had left out the 5sec hain from sahved legs.

There is plenty of aerodynamic data availabel on the web on studies conducted to understand the effectsof hair, or other rough surfaces on overall drag and in most studies the effect of hair cannot be measured. Not sure where this study was derived from but I view it with suspicion.

An aero wheel is only effective if the cumulative effects of aero tuning elsewhere result in a nett reduction in drag. Merely fitting a aero wheelset does little simply because the air flow is being disrupted up stream.

If you want to reuce drag then sure an aer front wheel helps but then this must be combined with fitting the bottles to the seat tube, using a larger diameter seattube, aero tubes on the bike, aer stays.

The biggest gain any cyclist can make aerodynamically is too reduce their frontal area.

- sit lower on the bike at the fron ie lower handle bars

- close the area ahead of your chest.

- wear an aero helmet since this governs airflow over the rest of your body.

Fitting aero wheels, handle bars and stem as well as an aero fork become secondary to these gains but the cost of making these gains increases exponentially.

But which is lighter?

titus, it wouldn;t matter if its done on a rather flat route. So if the majority of you'r rides gonna be on flattish terrain , pick aero. For RSA races rather go aero. I don't think there are significant climbs to really make a difference by using the lightest wheelsets.

Cervelo i agree with you. RSA climbs cannot be compared to the mountain passes in Europe. Our races are really rolling hills not actual climbs in the true cycling sense, which means aero before weight.

I would have thought the table credible if tehy had left out the 5sec hain from sahved legs...............

WEll, there's that, and the fact that this study seems to come out of 1988 or so... they use Shimano Sante... released in 1987, and disapperaed about the same...

Technology has changed...