Shimano SLX or Novatec SL Team?

Hello all! New to this forum. Quick question for the group. I received my new/old 2021 Diamondback Catch 2 yesterday and I'm unclear as whether or I was bumped up or down on the hubs? Listed as Novatec SL team on both ends, but what was received were Shimano SLX??? Fortunately, they were not lower level than that, considering it's A full SLX build. Curious though? Didn't see anywhere showing potential alternate replacements and was wondering, did I get bumped up or down on this swap out? Thanks for any info you van provide! It's demo time.

Edited by PJ's Catch

Not sure? Since my bikes I've been riding, have ranged from 1958 Schwinn to 2001 GT. Decided on something a little different to add to the collection and the Diamondback had the best group for the price. Hubs are marked as SLX 7110 and are 15/110 F and 12/148 R

Shimano hubs are solid, even if they are cup and cone. May be slightly on the heavier side, but I would not be concerned with the hubs

Novatec hubs are not bad, but I would say you’re better off with the SLX hubs. All Shimano hubs are cup and cone. Just have them serviced once or twice a year, depending on how much you ride and they will last for years.

Novatec are quick and easy to maintain parts are somewhat available from Cape Cycles but you shouldn't really need replacement parts apart from sealed bearings.  They are lighter, sounds good and should last a very long time if looked after.

SLX probably also have a plus but I have scrapped 2 rear hubs due to the hexbolt seized in the back of the freehub and other was no Freehub availability older shimano Freehubs are not the greatest . My opinion. 

Edited by Barry

All the specs I see list as Novatec so I don't know if this was a local supply swap issue. 

1000003156.jpg

1000003157.jpg

On 6/1/2024 at 3:37 PM, PJ's Catch said:

Hello all! New to this forum. Quick question for the group. I received my new/old 2021 Diamondback Catch 2 yesterday and I'm unclear as whether or I was bumped up or down on the hubs? Listed as Novatec SL team on both ends, but what was received were Shimano SLX??? Fortunately, they were not lower level than that, considering it's A full SLX build. Curious though? Didn't see anywhere showing potential alternate replacements and was wondering, did I get bumped up or down on this swap out? Thanks for any info you van provide! It's demo time.

You should query this with the bike shop where you bought the bike.

Now that the weekend is over, it's what I plan on doing. Problem being, doesn't matter if it's a huge downgrade, do I think they'd tell me so? No! I was hoping for a cut and dry, from those that have knowledge of these. (I've never owned either) Novatec is trash or vice versa?