Rear derailleur service - Pretoria

Tacet

Morning all!

My Shimano XT rear derailleur is sticking - there's barely any movement on the derailleur.  It seems like either there's a dirty bit I'm missing or the tension spring may be tired.  Cycle Lab wants to replace, but I'm not convinced that it is necessary.  Is there anyone in PTA who actually keep spares like the tension spring, and who can work on derailleurs?

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

Morning all!

My Shimano XT rear derailleur is sticking - there's barely any movement on the derailleur.  It seems like either there's a dirty bit I'm missing or the tension spring may be tired.  Cycle Lab wants to replace, but I'm not convinced that it is necessary.  Is there anyone in PTA who actually keep spares like the tension spring, and who can work on derailleurs?

Short answer no 

Those tension springs would be a fantastic thing to keep spares of but they're not available.

Johan at Trek Lynnwood eill do what you want done but he'll probably tell you it will be cheaper to replace the whole thing.

Taking them apart takes effort and know-how, putting them back together takes about 10 times as much.

Sorry, doubt this is what you wanted to hear

6 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Short answer no 

Those tension springs would be a fantastic thing to keep spares of but they're not available.

Johan at Trek Lynnwood eill do what you want done but he'll probably tell you it will be cheaper to replace the whole thing.

Taking them apart takes effort and know-how, putting them back together takes about 10 times as much.

Sorry, doubt this is what you wanted to hear

I’ve seen them at UK shops, but not local yet. I’d have liked to order one, but the waiting time is a pain. 😅

Is it sticking when going up & down the cassette or backwards and forward when taking up tension? Could be a seized cluch or spring could also have popped out of its location hole maybe worn pivots. Have you removed the cable when testing could be rust/dirty cable.

Edited by Barry

I am sure @RobertWhitehead could probably fix it or have a broken derailleur for parts he might even have a good used derailleur for fraction of new.

19 minutes ago, Barry said:

Is it sticking when going up & down the cassette or backwards and forward when taking up tension? Could be a seized cluch or spring could also have popped out of its location hole maybe worn pivots. Have you removed the cable when testing could be rust/dirty cable.

It doesn’t take up tension. I removed the whole derailleur, opened the clutch and cleaned, including the tension spring, but it wasn’t better after reassembly. Chances that I missed something is almost 100%- I worked on Youtube, not experience. But I had it at Cycle Lab this morning, and they also couldn’t get it to work.

19 minutes ago, Tacet said:

It doesn’t take up tension. I removed the whole derailleur, opened the clutch and cleaned, including the tension spring, but it wasn’t better after reassembly. Chances that I missed something is almost 100%- I worked on Youtube, not experience. But I had it at Cycle Lab this morning, and they also couldn’t get it to work.

Did you try quarter turns on the clutch tension?

42 minutes ago, Barry said:

I am sure @RobertWhitehead could probably fix it or have a broken derailleur for parts he might even have a good used derailleur for fraction of new.

You've not mentioned the speed but yes I do have some spares. Funny enough, I once had a similar experience with an NX rear mech, it went up perfectly and then nothing, nadda, niks when I wanted it to drop, sorted it out fairly quickly after some proper harsh words were spoken :oops:

IMG-20240309-WA0043.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

You've not mentioned the speed but yes I do have some spares. Funny enough, I once had a similar experience with an NX rear mech, it went up perfectly and then nothing, nadda, niks when I wanted it to drop, sorted it out fairly quickly after some proper harsh words were spoken :oops:

IMG-20240309-WA0043.jpeg

Found that even a brand new NX/GX  derailleur should get a little more grease pack it full before assembly and installing. 

Edited by Barry

Same thing happened to me. The pin that goes through the clutch was seized. Pulled it out, cleaned it, hosed the spring in WD40 and gave it some love with some fine grit sandpaper and reassembled it. Smooth shifting all the way 👍🏻

3 hours ago, thebob said:

Same thing happened to me. The pin that goes through the clutch was seized. Pulled it out, cleaned it, hosed the spring in WD40 and gave it some love with some fine grit sandpaper and reassembled it. Smooth shifting all the way 👍🏻

How did you get the centre pin out? I was afraid of breaking it, so left it dirty. 🙈

7 minutes ago, thebob said:

I pushed it out using an Allen key. 

So it goes out the back of the clutch - to the spring’s side?

Doddy from GMBN Tech explains it best. You will probably need a bit of force and a twisting motion to get it out

51 minutes ago, thebob said:

Doddy from GMBN Tech explains it best. You will probably need a bit of force and a twisting motion to get it out

A very good video 👍 

56 minutes ago, thebob said:

Thanks! This will help a lot.