Bib Shorts going Transparent after relatively little use

JBK

1 hour ago, RaymondC said:

So many variables here, after all the tick boxes of the washing process are done. 
The fit and cut can be a big factor, if the fabric is at its extreme every ride the lycra will perish quicker regardless of the brand. My 2 cents. 

the fabric of my shorts and those of my wife's are most certainly not stretched "at its extreme" on any ride. Our shorts are the correct fit.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, no calves said:

Just to throw another spanner in the mix:

What about IDT riding. I often find myself riding in a very wet bib even with a fan on etc. the natural cooling from riding outdoors keeps my clothes a lot dryer. even things like a simple sweatband on my wrists help keep my handlebars and towel over handlebars dry.

Back to the point: I wonder iff riding in salty corrosive wet bibs on the trainer does not help deteriorate fabric fibers.

Just my 2c 

I have two indoor bibs, Ciovita and Le Col, and they see about double the volume of my outdoor bibs (same brands). IDT bibs are properly soaked with sweat after each session. I am a salty sweater. The indoor bibs don't the white crack issue, but my outdoor Ciovitas are starting. So I don't think its an IDT issue (although this is a sample size of 1). 

Unsaturated grease, fatty acids will degrade elastane materials. However the issue is not that it will degrade, rather that some garments last 3 months and others 20yrs before the degradation takes effect

35 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

But sweat does have an effect with all the salt, electrolytes etc ... if it can cause a reaction on paint, alloys etc. Then amongst other factors it must contribute to the breakdown of textile material? 

I've only had one pair of bibs ever start developing the dreaded window, but it seems more common for others.

Sweat is the worst.. there’s salt, urine, all sorts of other NASTY WASTE.. my kit gets washed almost immediately after a cycle.. everything from ciovita, except a white jersey that went yellow super quick is holding up well..

For all of you to whom this has clearly never happened before, here is a one year old pair of Assos Mille GTS shorts, worn no more than once per week in this period. The thinning starts in the centre of the panels and not at the seams. 

20240611_105443.jpg

20240611_105434.jpg

Edited by JBK

40 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

But sweat does have an effect with all the salt, electrolytes etc ... if it can cause a reaction on paint, alloys etc. Then amongst other factors it must contribute to the breakdown of textile material? 

I've only had one pair of bibs ever start developing the dreaded window, but it seems more common for others.

Sweat affects polymers and metals differently. One is a dielectric issue due to salts and water and the other is a weakening of bonds caused by fatty acids within the fibres that’s generally neutralised with soap. 

the issue is why does similar conditions affects similar elastane materials differently 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Sweat affects polymers and metals differently. One is a dielectric issue due to salts and water and the other is a weakening of bonds caused by fatty acids within the fibres that’s generally neutralised with soap. 

the issue is why does similar conditions affects similar elastane materials differently 

The only possible thing I could think of is the variable of usage; frequency, exposure to elements etc.... 

Hi JBK, a while back I was using a Santini bib that started to show a little too much. I never gave it much thought and simply replaced it (after someone behind me said he can see my crack)

Now after reading this thread, it got me thinking.... I consider myself to be a "slightly" better than average technical mountain biker. Keeping this in mind I move around a lot on the saddle so as to  reposition my weight for the next obstacle, etc etc. I found on one or two of the saddles I was using it would bite a little, hindering me when I slide up or down on the saddle. Without thinking too much about it I simply changed the saddle until I found one that worked for me.

I see the guys are talking about washing procedures, detergents, make of kit, etc etc. I'm not saying that your saddle is the cause of the wear and tear of your bibs, but maybe something different to consider.

Good luck

48 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

The only possible thing I could think of is the variable of usage; frequency, exposure to elements etc.... 

there is also quality of the material that is a big contributor. There are so many elastane spinners around the world, and I bet very few are licensing the DuPont Lycra formula.

2 hours ago, Anthem24 said:

I reckon it's purely quality of the lycra if you're cold water washing, no tumble dry, no direct sun. And I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to soak lycra.

In the last year I've bought a pair each of First Ascent, Cape Storm and Rapid Sport. The cheapest -- the Rapid Sport -- clearly have the thickest lycra when held up to the light.  I'm pretty sure they're going to last longest.

I have a couple of Rapid Sports cycling shorts  (not a bib fan)

I much prefer the Rapid Sports to the Assos bibs, even when doing a 3-day stage race.

Okay, this has more to do with the fact that I overheat in bibs.  But when doing 6+ hour rides my sitbones are equally happy with both.

I also have a First Ascent set form 2017, still going strong, though not as comfortable on 3+ hour rides.

1 hour ago, JBK said:

For all of you to whom this has clearly never happened before, here is a one year old pair of Assos Mille GTS shorts, worn no more than once per week in this period. The thinning starts in the centre of the panels and not at the seams. 

20240611_105443.jpg

20240611_105434.jpg

What is that strange appendage top center? 

1 hour ago, BruceNotTheBoss said:

Hi JBK, a while back I was using a Santini bib that started to show a little too much. I never gave it much thought and simply replaced it (after someone behind me said he can see my crack)

Now after reading this thread, it got me thinking.... I consider myself to be a "slightly" better than average technical mountain biker. Keeping this in mind I move around a lot on the saddle so as to  reposition my weight for the next obstacle, etc etc. I found on one or two of the saddles I was using it would bite a little, hindering me when I slide up or down on the saddle. Without thinking too much about it I simply changed the saddle until I found one that worked for me.

I see the guys are talking about washing procedures, detergents, make of kit, etc etc. I'm not saying that your saddle is the cause of the wear and tear of your bibs, but maybe something different to consider.

Good luck

Thanks pal but its not the saddle issue. Same happens to my wife and also to our mates with the new generation Assos bibs.

21 minutes ago, Headshot said:

What is that strange appendage top center? 

you referring to my hand desperately trying to hold the shorts up and wide apart so that the other hand can take a picture ?

Maybe sweat is the answer. Everybody sweats differently.

From my own perspective, I do not sweat a lot and maybe because of this, the salt affects my clothing less than someone that sweats bucketloads.  Probably clutching at straws here but I cannot see any other reason.

We got bigger problems guys.! 😳😳🤣🤣

the SPECIALTREK MADMAC is here to hurt all of us. 😰

kind regards

mike

IMG_2700.jpeg