[Event] Durbie Dash

Ernst Viljoen

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Gravel Monster moved from September and now clashing

Any insight why this happened? 

September looks quite barren on my calendar (road + gravel). Hoping some more events will be announced...

12 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

September looks quite barren on my calendar (road + gravel). Hoping some more events will be announced...

Maybe due to so many events that rained out the last couple of Septembers.

23 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

No insight there...

But we do have the Race to the Sea, Canola Roller and Paarl Bike Fest in Sept so there are at least 3 other gravel options that month.

7 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

This is the day before Gravel Monster, so also will need to consider discipline carefully...

Depends on whether you want to was a bike Friday...
And then again Saturday...

5 minutes ago, Akon said:

Depends on whether you want to was a bike Friday...
And then again Saturday...

Eish...
And that's not counting the post race washing required...

On 7/3/2024 at 10:04 AM, Skubarra said:

Paarl Bike Fest in Sept so there are at least 3 other gravel options that month.

Didn't know they offer a gravel event also...

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

Didn't know they offer a gravel event also...

The event website not yet updated but it is the 5th event in the WC gravel series

Here's my issue with ebikes in events like this... and this happened last year despite no ebikes supposed to be allowed in the gravel event. The race is short enough that ebike riders can use Boost mode for a large portion of the race. They start last but they catch groups of riders that have been shelled out the bunch. These riders then hook the ebikes and get dragged back to the bunch. It makes for unfair racing. If they're being allowed to race this year then they somehow need to find a way to avoid this happening.

16 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Here's my issue with ebikes in events like this... and this happened last year despite no ebikes supposed to be allowed in the gravel event. The race is short enough that ebike riders can use Boost mode for a large portion of the race. They start last but they catch groups of riders that have been shelled out the bunch. These riders then hook the ebikes and get dragged back to the bunch. It makes for unfair racing. If they're being allowed to race this year then they somehow need to find a way to avoid this happening.

@BuffsVintageBikes At what event did this happen?

We will take a look at the timing sequence closer at the time, at the moment I don't expect many ebikes but lets see. At the Knysna MTB they started ahead of the other riders, thought that worked well for the most part, might be an option to look at.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

@BuffsVintageBikes At what event did this happen?

We will take a look at the timing sequence closer at the time, at the moment I don't expect many ebikes but lets see. At the Knysna MTB they started ahead of the other riders, thought that worked well for the most part, might be an option to look at.

When are the routes gonna be made available? I don’t need a gpx file or anything that exact. Just a rough idea so I can decide which event to enter.

43 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

When are the routes gonna be made available? I don’t need a gpx file or anything that exact. Just a rough idea so I can decide which event to enter.

Hopefully today, tomorrow at the latest - I will also post it on here

The gravel routes

We were given access to a few of the local farms and the condition for access is no gpx files to be published.

Only gravel roads and a bit of tar - no singletrack, jeeptrack or mtb a-frame bridges. No big climbs either so it should be fast, "non-technical" races.

The short gravel route an easy ride that replaces the old mtb short route - it is literally impossible to do a short mtb route for beginners/kids starting Durbanville without a ton of climbing.

The 30km route should be great for casual gravel riders wanting to do some riding on the local farms not normally accessible to public. Also an option for mtbers who don't want to do the technical trails of Tygerberg (yes I know the hub thinks Tygerberg is non-technical but many out there find it intimidating + its much less climbing) 

Long route should be a proper fast route for the racing snakes and doable for mtb weekend warriors who want a longer ride)

12km

30km

86km

Edited by Skubarra

7 hours ago, Skubarra said:

The gravel routes

We were given access to a few of the local farms and the condition for access is no gpx files to be published.

Only gravel roads and a bit of tar - no singletrack, jeeptrack or mtb a-frame bridges. No big climbs either so it should be fast, "non-technical" races.

The short gravel route an easy ride that replaces the old mtb short route - it is literally impossible to do a short mtb route for beginners/kids starting Durbanville without a ton of climbing.

The 30km route should be great for casual gravel riders wanting to do some riding on the local farms not normally accessible to public. Also an option for mtbers who don't want to do the technical trails of Tygerberg (yes I know the hub thinks Tygerberg is non-technical but many out there find it intimidating + its much less climbing) 

Long route should be a proper fast route for the racing snakes and doable for mtb weekend warriors who want a longer ride)

12km

30km

86km

Awesome. I’m in for the 86km gravel👍