Support for Development Team in Khayelitsha

Kimikaze

Anyone out there keen to change some young lives? :)

There is a Development Team in Khayelitsha in need of some consistent support (not necessarily financial support). It starts with just getting donated kit and spares to them. They use EVERYTHING. I've been doing this with a team in Nomzamo/Lwandle for a couple of years, and have seen the life changing impact first hand. 

The team needs someone who is active in the cycling community and has a passion for helping youth from disadvantaged backgrounds. It's up to the person how much time to put in, but I suggest starting as follows:

- Put the word out regularly to their cycling community and local bike shops to donate any kit and spares (including holy tubes, which the team patch and reuse). Arrange drop off points or collect every month or 2. Bike shops are generally very happy to act as drop-off points.

- Arrange with the Team Manager in Khayelitsha to give the stuff to him every month or 2. He's based in a safer area in Khayelitsha (I've dropped things off there often), but I'm sure he can arrange pickup from somewhere else if needed.

It can evolve into something greater, like getting the team involved in fundraising (I do this for the Wine Lands Cycling Club), if someone wants to do that. But regular spares and kit is a life changing start, and doesn't require much time and effort. Just consistency. 

The team has a great team manager, Lubabalo. He works in IT full time (mostly from home in Khayelitsha) and he does the best he can with what he can access. He's lovely to connect with. More info about the team here: https://www.facebook.com/WWW.BONGACYCLINGACADEMY.ORG?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Please connect with me if you feel moved to help... Or maybe there's a cycling club or team who want to own this :)

Kim 061 479 2496 

Bump.

I cannot help on the 'main' request, as it were, but I will donate some cycling kit; i presume good condition 2nd-hand kit is in order?

Cheers

Chris

Thank you for the bump 🙏 And appreciate the offer of kit donation - that's perfect! Will DM you.

Also any "disposable" things - tyres, tubes (with a puncture is fine), bar tape... these seem to be the greatest needs.

I did some spring cleaning this weekend and put a box of unwanted parts and kit together to take through in a week or two.

If anyone else wants to add to the collection, give me a shout. I'm based in Muizenberg - so Southern Suburbs and Deep South, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Zebra said:

Good meeting you, Kim(ikaze); thanks for the excellent work you do, and will dig out more kit later this month.

Cheers

Chris

Thank you sooo much for the support 🙏  Great to meet you too!

23 hours ago, Nick said:

I did some spring cleaning this weekend and put a box of unwanted parts and kit together to take through in a week or two.

If anyone else wants to add to the collection, give me a shout. I'm based in Muizenberg - so Southern Suburbs and Deep South, I suppose.

This excites me! Thank you so much Nick! This is exactly what the team needs 🙏

I dropped some donated goodies off for the Khayelitsha team this morning. They are super appreciative 🙏 Three teams have an opportunity to do Wines 2 Whales this year. They are looking for some help with MTB tyres, nutrition, and a cycling computer per team. Anyone out there have any of these you'd be willing to donate? 😁

• 4 weeks later...

@Kimikaze i have another bag of used and unused parts, some bibs, some cleats etc, for the Kayelitsha crew from Monday onwards, at Flying Brick, if you can collect when next in the City/ Paarden Eiland?

Cheers

Chris

072 211 7725

On 8/2/2024 at 12:44 PM, Zebra said:

@Kimikaze i have another bag of used and unused parts, some bibs, some cleats etc, for the Kayelitsha crew from Monday onwards, at Flying Brick, if you can collect when next in the City/ Paarden Eiland?

Cheers

Chris

072 211 7725

Awesome, thank you so much, Chris! I will connect with you via whatsapp to arrange. I'm that side again on the 20th. Much appreciated 🙏 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kim, just confirming I have the other bag of goods that another rider (Ian) dropped off, so all ready for you to collect, either immediately, else on/after the 20th...whatever suits.

Cheers

Chris

Excellent, yes I (or my team) can accept donated goods for Kim, if that helps: Flying Brick: 8 Shropshire Street, Paarden Eiland (1 road BACK from Marine Drive Service Road)...

Cheers!

Chris

I have a lot of kit that I would like to contribute and donate. 
Shoes, pedals, cycling kit, cycling glasses etc. 

I'm based in Constantia, Cape Town. Where can I drop it off? 

thank you 

Nick Wright 

9 minutes ago, Bike.Up said:

I have a lot of kit that I would like to contribute and donate. 
Shoes, pedals, cycling kit, cycling glasses etc. 

I'm based in Constantia, Cape Town. Where can I drop it off? 

thank you 

Nick Wright 

Awesome! Message sent.