Do you get an 11 speed cassette for a SRAM XDR Freebody

I have a wheelset with an XDR freebody but I  need to put an 11 speed cluster on it for the Shimano Ultgera group i have on the bike - does such a beast exist ? If so wheer can i get one. Seems to be an unusual ask i.e. XDR is 12 speed.

Sram stop to produce them to force everybody to go 12 speed... :ph34r:

I might have a used one, but not sure if will take a new chain / or even an other used chain...

You can still get third party cassettes on AliExpress.

But usually they are 42t or bigger, so your Ultegra rear derailleur might not like it.  

Edited by Mongoose!

SRAM's road 11sp cassettes were HG, so the only 11sp XD from SRAM is MTB 10-42T. You can use the MTB stuff with a 1.85mm spacer.

Aftermarket you can get the E13 XCX 9-34 which should work with the Ultegra 11sp (although not officially), but they're ********* pricy and rare as rocking horse poo. I'd love one but can't justify R4k + for a cassette that I'd have to import.

There may be others out there, but the only ones I've seen are SROAD which I trust about as much as a politician.

6 minutes ago, droo said:

SRAM's road 11sp cassettes were HG, so the only 11sp XD from SRAM is MTB 10-42T. You can use the MTB stuff with a 1.85mm spacer.

Aftermarket you can get the E13 XCX 9-34 which should work with the Ultegra 11sp (although not officially), but they're ********* pricy and rare as rocking horse poo. I'd love one but can't justify R4k + for a cassette that I'd have to import.

There may be others out there, but the only ones I've seen are SROAD which I trust about as much as a politician.

where do you get said 1,85mm spacer ? 

LBS should have one in a spares bin, it's the same one you fit behind a Shimano 11sp cassette on an HG driver. You get them with most MTB wheelsets.

24 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

where do you get said 1,85mm spacer ? 

21 minutes ago, droo said:

LBS should have one in a spares bin, it's the same one you fit behind a Shimano 11sp cassette on an HG driver. You get them with most MTB wheelsets.

Or use the cog spacers from an old 11spd cassette. Sure its 2.1 or something but it makes 0 difference if your OCD can handle 0.2mm spread across 11 gears

1 hour ago, Mongoose! said:

You might be better off to change the freehub rather. 

Better options for cassettes for sure, but will depend on the hub.

OP - I have 2 11sp 105 cassettes for sale if you decide to go this route, 11-28 and 11-32. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Or use the cog spacers from an old 11spd cassette. Sure its 2.1 or something but it makes 0 difference if your OCD can handle 0.2mm spread across 11 gears

Look, I'm partial to a bodge if I can't get the right thing, but as a mechanic with my shop logo as my avatar I'm kinda obliged to offer the textbook answer, particularly if I haven't personally tested the alternative...

1 hour ago, droo said:

Look, I'm partial to a bodge if I can't get the right thing, but as a mechanic with my shop logo as my avatar I'm kinda obliged to offer the textbook answer, particularly if I haven't personally tested the alternative...

Lol, then i probably shouldn’t remind you that it was you that got me to start doing it in the first place😅. Around the time stoke was still in Salt River…with a set of MTX33 rims and silver hope hubs you built for me. The hubs didnt come with the 1.85mm spacer in the box like they should have.

so i tried it on your behalf and can confirm it is fine. Still do it till this day, quite a few bikes later🤫😉

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, droo said:

I thought you enjoyed the ….”off the beaten path”? 🤭

28 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Lol, then i probably shouldn’t remind you that it was you that got me to start doing it in the first place😅. Around the time stoke was still in Salt River…with a set of MTX33 rims and silver hope hubs you built for me. The hubs didnt come with the 1.85mm spacer in the box like they should have.

so i tried it on your behalf and can confirm it is fine. Still do it till this day, quite a few bikes later🤫😉

That's HG, not XDR. Not quite the same, even though they use the same spacer.

5 minutes ago, betaboy said:

I thought you enjoyed the ….”off the beaten path”? 🤭

All my bikes and my car currently have knobbly tyres, so you're not wrong...