Holdfast bicycle carrier - hatchback

What are the views of using this type of bike carrier on my 2020 Kia Picanto? 

To transport maximum 2 MTBs on holiday, bike trips, etc...

Anyone used or using this combo successfully?

Much appreciated 👍🏻 20240529_102714.jpg.2baabf8ba43ac5ba592a8fd75231fdc9.jpg

Screenshot_20240712_002133_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ant in the NL

It is probably not a good idea. Thule don't recommend hatchback racks for cars with plastic spoilers and I would think same would apply to Holdfast. Although it may hook on the steel of the lid it is still resting on the plastic and with 2 MTB might not survive. 

I have the same bike rack on my Hyundai i10 Grand. Works just fine with 2 MTBs. I wouldn't load more than 2 MTBs or ebikes on though. I cut an inner tube into small hoops to sit on the hooks that connect to the body of the car to prevent damaging the paintwork as a precaution.  Don't switch your rear windscreen wiper on when the racks installed 🤪

I used a Buzzrack rack on hatchbacks and sedans.  Worked on most of them without any problem.  Used it for 1000's of kms.  IT DOES NOT WORK ON ALL MODELS, like my Ford Kuga.

Also clean the part of the car where the rack is fitting, as dust and dirt between the rack and the car can damage the paintwork.

Also, do not try more than two bikes.  Two bikes works fine.  Mine had place for four bikes, but I would never try it.

2 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

I used a Buzzrack rack on hatchbacks and sedans.  Worked on most of them without any problem.  Used it for 1000's of kms.  IT DOES NOT WORK ON ALL MODELS, like my Ford Kuga.

Also clean the part of the car where the rack is fitting, as dust and dirt between the rack and the car can damage the paintwork.

Also, do not try more than two bikes.  Two bikes works fine.  Mine had place for four bikes, but I would never try it.

Shot, just worried about the arm that rests on the rear window and weight displacement...wouldn't want it to push too hard and crack the glass 😲😲

Just now, Ant in the NL said:

Shot, just worried about the arm that rests on the rear window and weight displacement...wouldn't want it to push too hard and crack the glass 😲😲

Mine was on the glass, never had a crack.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's designed that way.

51 minutes ago, Albatross said:

I have the same bike rack on my Hyundai i10 Grand. Works just fine with 2 MTBs. I wouldn't load more than 2 MTBs or ebikes on though. I cut an inner tube into small hoops to sit on the hooks that connect to the body of the car to prevent damaging the paintwork as a precaution.  Don't switch your rear windscreen wiper on when the racks installed 🤪

Great, thanks for this. And then no issues with the arm resting on the window and there being too much weight on it....don't wanna crack the glass 😬😬

1 minute ago, Ant in the NL said:

Great, thanks for this. And then no issues with the arm resting on the window and there being too much weight on it....don't wanna crack the glass 😬😬

I would think the most weight goes on the lower arms and the upper straps.

3 minutes ago, Ant in the NL said:

Most of weight is on the lower cushions, no danger of cracking glass

9 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Most of weight is on the lower cushions, no danger of cracking glass

The OP stated that he might be transporting bikes for extended periods, ie. holidays etc. I'd be nervous to have 2 bikes hanging from the rear hatch for long periods on your typical SA roads.

Short stints from home to the start of a ride is perfectly fine, yet extended travelling could place more weight and wear on the hatch than I'd be comfortable with.

Then again, I have never used one of these myself.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

The OP stated that he might be transporting bikes for extended periods, ie. holidays etc. I'd be nervous to have 2 bikes hanging from the rear hatch for long periods on your typical SA roads.

Short stints from home to the start of a ride is perfectly fine, yet extended travelling could place more weight and wear on the hatch than I'd be comfortable with.

I travelled from Cape Town to Hermanus a few times with no issues, I was initially worried and kept checking the straps but never had an issue. I think the OP is in Holland?

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

I traveled from Kimberley to Capetown and back more than once.  No problems.

4 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

I traveled from Kimberley to Capetown and back more than once.  No problems.

You could probably drive the full length of the Netherlands 3 times compared to CT to Kimberley 🤣

Why not go to Thule and/or Holdfast and see what they recommend. In my opinion the best option will maybe be roof racks depending on your budget

Nope and nope again - I had personal experience with these types of carriers - I mounted mine and pulled it tight when the boot was closed - When i opened the boot to get somethiong out i bent the boot lid, luckily the panel beater was able to bend it straight again so it would close

Rather spend the money on a tow bar and get a proper carrier

Edited by madmarc