GravDuro = Gravel + Enduro | 26 Ocober

Red Cherry Events

I don't think the entry fees are too outrageous here for a big day of fun, nice bottle of wine too in the mix. Maybe because i've got my eyes back on trail runs and there the proverbial is ripped out the ring. This unnamed race has this opening tagline on their website. 

Why does a 100 miler have to cost R1000? It doesn't!!! That's why we are charging R590! Don't worry though, XXXXXXXX will have all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a race of this caliber.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

With the amount of roadies doing gravel and with so few road events, it's a pity this is the day before Boland 100 Miler, on of the few road events of the Spring season. I enjoyed this same race format at Eroica, so it's a pity to miss out on this one.

not to mention Gravel monster being the day after durbie dash...

This should be a fun event. We did this exact type of gravel enduro event back in 2018 from Trails End. Lots of the same trails including Hans se Kop. The 100km is going to get a tougher day than most people realize. 

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Basics you recon .....

Maybe an economy 101 course would be a good place to start .... IF he goes ahead with his statements on sports broadcasting that will be the end of dstv.  Now I am NOT a fan of dstv !!  But I do understand the impact of their broadcasting fees for clubs and sporting bodies ....  this guy is worse than a bull in a china shop.

They don't need help…DSTV will be the end of DSTV. Complacency, greed and a lack of vision got them here.
Cant wait to talk about them in past tense.

Edited by MORNE

Back on topic:

this looks like a cool concept. If you’ve ever done an Enduro MTB event you’ll know how lekker it is to just casually praat stront between stages with the guys around you. People are a lot more lax when they arent being timed and thats part of what makes it fun. 

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Basics you recon .....

Maybe an economy 101 course would be a good place to start .... IF he goes ahead with his statements on sports broadcasting that will be the end of dstv.  Now I am NOT a fan of dstv !!  But I do understand the impact of their broadcasting fees for clubs and sporting bodies ....  this guy is worse than a bull in a china shop.

He's going to get nowhere, just like everyone before him. Grand plans, grand ambitions, zero execution. 

17 hours ago, Jbr said:

not to mention Gravel monster being the day after durbie dash...

And Durbie Dash also has a gravel option. I wonder to what extent the clashes are due to gravel falling under MTB instead of road, or if they would have managed to mess it up any way. Gaps in the calendar and then double booked weekends. 🙁

55 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

And Durbie Dash also has a gravel option. I wonder to what extent the clashes are due to gravel falling under MTB instead of road, or if they would have managed to mess it up any way. Gaps in the calendar and then double booked weekends. 🙁

OR .... maybe the likes of Durbie Dash is assisting the growth in Gravel races.

Durbie Dash has three relatively SHORT distances.  The longest being 86km.

Boland Gravel Monster is a monster by comparison with 100 and 160 km routes.

Not that much of an overlap in the target audience with these two events.  If anything, Durbie Dash might attract more riders to the gravel scene.

As for gaps in the calendar and then double booked weekends.  Can only wonder why ....

27 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

OR .... maybe the likes of Durbie Dash is assisting the growth in Gravel races.

Durbie Dash for sure is one of the OG organisers keeping the sport alive.

I would have loved it if it was possible to end the elite race on a circuit of some sort. Make the distance longer and give the other riders opportunity to watch the racing after finishing their own race. Not possible for this or any other venues really though.

Absolutely not blaming DD. It's the gravel monster Org in my opinion. They were moaning about numbers last year, and this year they decide to pick the same weekend as an OG event (not to mention very well rewarded in terms of seeding) that everyone racing bikes will attend, wether it's on the road, gravel or MTB.

Right now I'm seriously considering skipping Gravel Monster, it's a tough enough race for a weekend already. I'll decide closer to the time if I'm skipping DD rather, but don't see myself doing both

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Absolutely not blaming DD. It's the gravel monster Org in my opinion. They were moaning about numbers last year, and this year they decide to pick the same weekend as an OG event (not to mention very well rewarded in terms of seeding) that everyone racing bikes will attend, wether it's on the road, gravel or MTB.

Right now I'm seriously considering skipping Gravel Monster, it's a tough enough race for a weekend already. I'll decide closer to the time if I'm skipping DD rather, but don't see myself doing both

Did some digging out of curiosity ...

Durby Dash dates :

16 October 2021

15 October 2022

14 October 2023

12 October 2024

Seems they have been consistent with their date.

Real pity other organisers are crowding this weekend

On 7/24/2024 at 11:50 AM, mecheng89 said:

O look, another gravel race in the WC 😭

Oh but this is no ordinaruygravel race, have you checked out the route feature for the stages you will be racing across? https://www.gravduro.co.za/route/

Its then all social riding in between

Edited by Red Cherry Events

On 7/25/2024 at 12:26 PM, betaboy said:

This will be a hit! This format has proven to be extremely popular and inline with the spirit gravel across the globe. Gravel is the future, and clearly we have a unique event on the horizon right on the southern tip of Africa! Well Done to the men and ladies behind this one. I need to gift myself a birthday present!😃

Thanks Betaboy, we think it should be very exciting and allow for all sorts of riders to have a good time over the event. That lekka mix of racing with good vibes, its sure to be a cracker out on the Paul Cluver and oak valley Trails! Have you checked out the route yet? https://www.gravduro.co.za/route/

On 7/26/2024 at 6:52 AM, MORNE said:

Back on topic:

this looks like a cool concept. If you’ve ever done an Enduro MTB event you’ll know how lekker it is to just casually praat stront between stages with the guys around you. People are a lot more lax when they arent being timed and thats part of what makes it fun. 

Yes exactly Morne! There is nothing scarier than the start line to a race but with riders setting off at a leisurely pace and only being timed for sections, we believe it's going to be a hit. This concept isn't unique as it happens in the US already, we are just the first to bring it to South Africa. So please come and support and checkout our route! https://www.gravduro.co.za/route/