Floor Pump Question

love2fly

Both my floor pumps started doing this at around the same time .. .

At the bottom of the pump stroke I get a lot of back pressure and a hiss at the valve which is either escaping air or it going SLOWLY into the valve.

It starts to become high pressure and reads off the scale ...

My high capacity pump just pushes straight back.

A while ago I replaced the head on my one pump as it was popping off the valve on my road bike at 7 bar so I use that for my MTB as it's high capacity and the other for my road bike 

I know I may have to buy a new one but money is tight and I hate throwing stuff out.....

Thanks

Very common 

Issue is sealent clogging up your valve core 

Just replace the core ( to much effort to clean them ) costs 50 bucks at my shop for both. 

Yeah if you struggle to open your valve then the sealant is clogging it up. I have the same issue right now with my bike when pumping the wheels just haven’t had a chance to sort it out.

38 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Very common 

Issue is sealent clogging up your valve core 

Just replace the core ( to much effort to clean them ) costs 50 bucks at my shop for both. 

Jip, most likely just the core.

If you dont have a spare core, just remove as much of the muck as you can.  Not perfect, but should work a while.

SORRY I meant to add that I replaced the valve core and verified by blowing that it "flows". Apologies, I should have mentioned that....

I'm thinking valve issue on pump.

😬

Edited by love2fly

8 hours ago, love2fly said:

SORRY I meant to add that I replaced the valve core and verified by blowing that it "flows". Apologies, I should have mentioned that....

I'm thinking valve issue on pump.

😬

Maybe one more test .... with the valve core removed, use a thin rod to check if the valve stem is blocked.  I have seen this a few times.

Obviously a much quicker and better test would be use the pumps on another bike where you know the tyres are correct.

I have had a connecting head cause similar issues .... but you say you have already replaced one.

It's the head of the pump that needs a clean, mine also did the same, I would pump and the pressure just builds and builds with every stroke. I removed both sides (mine has got Presta and Schrader on one head) then I cleaned it out before reassembling the unit. The blockage was quite small. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe one more test .... with the valve core removed, use a thin rod to check if the valve stem is blocked.  I have seen this a few times.

Obviously a much quicker and better test would be use the pumps on another bike where you know the tyres are correct.

I have had a connecting head cause similar issues .... but you say you have already replaced one.

Yip, we have 3 bikes between my son and I and they all do it......☺️

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

It's the head of the pump that needs a clean, mine also did the same, I would pump and the pressure just builds and builds with every stroke. I removed both sides (mine has got Presta and Schrader on one head) then I cleaned it out before reassembling the unit. The blockage was quite small. 

That might be it. Despite the new head, maybe that's the issue.

Did you use anything to clean out the sealant? The only stuff I've found when cleaning a tyre inside that works as a solvent is Benzine .....

44 minutes ago, love2fly said:

That might be it. Despite the new head, maybe that's the issue.

Did you use anything to clean out the sealant? The only stuff I've found when cleaning a tyre inside that works as a solvent is Benzine .....

maybe the issue is in the pipe leading up to the head

25 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

maybe the issue is in the pipe leading up to the head

Thanks but both are pomping fine without the head. Got both heads soaking in hot water at the moment.

I might take them down to the petrol station for a good blow....make of that what you will 😁