Fox suspension oil VS alternatives

Rikert

Good day all,

I’m seeking advice on suspension oils for my Fox 34 Rhythm fork. I’ve had difficulty finding Fox-specific oils but noticed that Enduroplanet in Bloem has them available online. Can anyone recommend alternatives from brands like Motorex or Motul, or any other brands that might be suitable? I’m looking for 20wt gold and either 5wt or 4wt, depending on availability.

Here are the current options I’ve found:

• 20wt Gold: R650 from Enduroplanet (I haven’t found it elsewhere)
  • Fox 5wt Gold: R599 from Enduroplanet (I haven’t found it elsewhere)

Alternatives I’m considering:

• Motorex Race Fork Oil: R290 per bottle in 5wt and 15wt, but no 20wt (available from Bike Addict online)
  • Motul Fork Oil: Approximately R300 per bottle (appears to be for motorbikes, not specifically MTB)

Any recommendations on where to find these oils or suitable alternatives that are a bit cheaper would be greatly appreciated!

If you can get the cSt rating of the oil rather then the wt, that is preferable. The wt rating tends to differ depending on the company, while cSt is a standard.

Ping @droo for the correct alternate.

For the 34 Rhythm (and anything with a GRIP damper) it's best to use the proper Fox oils in our experience.

That said, Fox are out of stock of the 5W PTFE stuff that's meant to go in there, so the Motul 5W will do the job.

As for the 20W fork oil, it's not the same stuff as the Gold 20W which is closer to a motor oil than a suspension oil.

6 minutes ago, droo said:

For the 34 Rhythm (and anything with a GRIP damper) it's best to use the proper Fox oils in our experience.

That said, Fox are out of stock of the 5W PTFE stuff that's meant to go in there, so the Motul 5W will do the job.

As for the 20W fork oil, it's not the same stuff as the Gold 20W which is closer to a motor oil than a suspension oil.

So maybe buy the 20wt gold and 5wt motul if they dont have the fox in stock, and the motorex oils being sold on bikehub is there no proper alternative for both?

3 hours ago, Rikert said:

Good day all,

I’m seeking advice on suspension oils for my Fox 34 Rhythm fork. I’ve had difficulty finding Fox-specific oils but noticed that Enduroplanet in Bloem has them available online. Can anyone recommend alternatives from brands like Motorex or Motul, or any other brands that might be suitable? I’m looking for 20wt gold and either 5wt or 4wt, depending on availability.

Here are the current options I’ve found:

• 20wt Gold: R650 from Enduroplanet (I haven’t found it elsewhere)
  • Fox 5wt Gold: R599 from Enduroplanet (I haven’t found it elsewhere)

Alternatives I’m considering:

• Motorex Race Fork Oil: R290 per bottle in 5wt and 15wt, but no 20wt (available from Bike Addict online)
  • Motul Fork Oil: Approximately R300 per bottle (appears to be for motorbikes, not specifically MTB)

Any recommendations on where to find these oils or suitable alternatives that are a bit cheaper would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.rbco.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_81&product_id=395

20 hours ago, Rikert said:

Thank you for the link

Make sure to check out the rest too. There are smaller bottles as well as the other weights you are looking for.