Opinions required: Pyga Slakline & Trek Slash

Scott roy

Morning all, so I’ve just built up a pyga slackline, it’s well specced with brand new fox factory 38, 4 pot XT brakes and wheels on a second hand frame. I haven’t even gotten to ride it yet as the wheels only arrive today. 

I was a trek last night and they are having some insane deals. I can get an alloy slash (previous gen) for 40k with gx groupset, code brakes and ZEB select fork. Claiming VAT back and it’s 35k which is mind boggling. I’m going this morning to purchase one for my dad, but the question is, should I get myself one too? If I do I will probably go for the carbon one as that’s all they have left in stock in my size. 

I love the pyga but the warranty is very attractive on the treks and I would be paying less for a brand new bike than I can sell my pyga for. I may want to keep my fox 38 for the trek if I go that option though as I in anycase have warranty on that. 

Trail/enduro people of the hub, what’s your recommendations? 

Edited by Scott roy

That is a good deal but will the trek make you feel all warm and fuzzy like the pyga that youve put so much effort into.?!

Edited by Bike Dewing

4 minutes ago, Bike Dewing said:

That is a good deal but will the trek make you feel all warm and fuzzy like the pyga that youve put so much effort into.?!

That’s another question I can’t answer

Any chance of test riding the Slash as this will give you chance to then compare the ride to the Pyga when your new wheels arrive.

You might save yourself the cost of another bike (but then it's a whole new discussion as to whether you should have an n+1 (second) bike anyway).

If the budget allows, a second bike could be an advantage but terrible if you fall in love with one and for whatever reason the second just sits around. To me they seem to be quite similar and I would more understand having two different bikes that offer you two distinctly types/ styles of riding. But this depends on the trails/routes that are accessible to you and what types of riding that you could see yourself doing in the coming years...

I hope this has given you some food for thought

19 minutes ago, Bike Dewing said:

I support this way of thinking - when we make the buying decision, we tend to get swayed by weight, specs, value for money, etc.

6 months on, I think the only thing that really matters is does looking at the bike make you want to go out and RIDE! 

1 hour ago, dexterdent said:

I support this way of thinking - when we make the buying decision, we tend to get swayed by weight, specs, value for money, etc.

6 months on, I think the only thing that really matters is does looking at the bike make you want to go out and RIDE! 

I look at my aluminum scott mish mash groupset everyday like that and i just love it so much.. i want a fancy carbon feame but then i wont have my goose anymore and i hate that idea😰🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Scott roy said:

Morning all, so I’ve just built up a pyga slackline, it’s well specced with brand new fox factory 38, 4 pot XT brakes and wheels on a second hand frame. I haven’t even gotten to ride it yet as the wheels only arrive today. 

I was a trek last night and they are having some insane deals. I can get an alloy slash (previous gen) for 40k with gx groupset, code brakes and ZEB select fork. Claiming VAT back and it’s 35k which is mind boggling. I’m going this morning to purchase one for my dad, but the question is, should I get myself one too? If I do I will probably go for the carbon one as that’s all they have left in stock in my size. 

I love the pyga but the warranty is very attractive on the treks and I would be paying less for a brand new bike than I can sell my pyga for. I may want to keep my fox 38 for the trek if I go that option though as I in anycase have warranty on that. 

Trail/enduro people of the hub, what’s your recommendations? 

n + 1

45 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Decided to keep the pyga, if my dad doesn’t like his new slash then I’ll maybe take that over. 

Inmean you cant hate a slash.. and if it was given to me, well, thats a different story all together.🤣🤣🤣

i think you making the right choice though.. 

I highly recommend taking a look at treks sale. Most xc bikes are sold out but a lot of longer travel bikes are still there for half price, some less and some more. There is no way you can get such well specced bikes for these prices. 

Edited by Scott roy

I had a Slakline, great bikes, but they dont pedal that well, not terrible, but not great, I found the Slash was slightly easier to pedal up hills, but the Slakline won the confidence game going back down again, at least that was my experience. 

Also, we have seen/heard of at least 5 Slash frames breaking, just because of that, I would personally avoid the Slash