Spin bike setup with MyWhoosh

LizMTB

Hi, I want to make a spin bike setup with the added fun of using MyWhoosh (Zwift alternative). 

I don't want to pay a fortune for a smart bike. 

Ideally I want the spin bike to cost under R10k, and then my understanding is I will need bluetooth and a power meter. 

Anyone have any experience with this? 

If not, just some spin bike recommendations would be excellent!

Thanks x 

Edited by LizMTB
Added the request for spin bike recommendations

If you are wanting a spin bike rather than a smart trainer with a normal bike on it, then maybe look at this app as a bridge to using other software like mywoosh https://www.qzfitness.com/

I would suggest that you look at the specifications on the mywoosh website with regard to trainers as they do not support wheel on smart trainers or spin bikes, only direct drive smart trainers.  

I would suggest that you consider looking for a smart trainer and putting a cheap road bike on it, if wanting to use mywoosh, rather than a spin bike.

Edit, there are quite a few direct drive smart trainers in the classifieds for less than R10k

Edited by shaper

6 minutes ago, shaper said:

If you are wanting a spin bike rather than a smart trainer with a normal bike on it, then maybe look at this app as a bridge to using other software like mywoosh https://www.qzfitness.com/

I would suggest that you look at the specifications on the mywoosh website with regard to trainers as they do not support wheel on smart trainers or spin bikes, only direct drive smart trainers.  

I would suggest that you consider looking for a smart trainer and putting a cheap road bike on it, if wanting to use mywoosh, rather than a spin bike.

Edit, there are quite a few direct drive smart trainers in the classifieds for less than R10k

I don't own currently own a bike as I will be too busy to actually leave the house and go for a ride. Thanks for the app recommendation! 

@shaper summed it up perfectly.

Same data, different presentation ....

My sister bought a spin bike last year ... read I had to go with her, help choose the bike and then go assemble it.  She is perfectly happy to sit and "spin" while watching cricket or that other sport with the not-a-round-ball ....  Pretty sure has has just set that resistance and long gone forgotten about it.

Indoor trainer, and these apps .... The bike must speak TO the app.  This can be done with a cadence sensor and a speed sensor on the wheel (but now are restricted to a "wheel-on-trainer...noisy).  The app will see what you are doing, and you should be able to navigate the routes .... BUT, the magic with these apps are in the FEEDBACK .... as you turn up a hill the trainer uses an eletrco-magnetic brake to simulate extra resistance.  You FEEL the hill !!  Steep hills you quickly grab a lower gear.

Looking at the Wheel-OFF trainers in the classifieds .... 

Trainer + a cheap second hand road bike is cheaper than a decent spin bike.

BUT ... and this is a BIG BUT .... do your homework on what electronic gadgets you are going to use to get this setup to work.  The Apple clan has a way of linking it to their smart tv and the app on the phone - ZWIFT.  Heard some questions about this approach with MyWhoosh and IndieVelo .... dont know how this played out.  The tricky bit is that the different trainers use different signals ... some older units used Ant+.  For this you need an Ant+ receiver and this gets plugged into a USB port .... most of these apps are graphics hungry .... so you end with a powerful setup to drive it all.  The newer trainers apparently use wifi, thus easier to link everything to a tablet ....

Sure this may seem like a mountain of information.  Figure out what you already have, come back and ask the clever kids to help you get the correct kit to minimize abortive costs and dead end routes ....

The spin bike works for my sister, and many others.  It can be cheaper .... the extra functions does not warrant the steep jumps in price.  Then rather spend that money at places like "MiFitness" and buy a quality machine with industry back up.  They supply gyms, and also have a range for home use.  The nice thing with the spin bike .... nice rollers in front make it super easy to pack away after use .... well at least move it from the middle of the room, it will always be a bulky thing in the corner.

Trainers and apps .... LOVE mine !!!  Glad I jumped in and upgrade the electronics over time ....  IndieVelo is the next big thing in this game !!!!!  Currently free to use.  MUCH easier on computer resources than MyWhoosh.  Make no mistake, Zwift has years of experience on their side .... just the exchange rate that killed it for me.

37 minutes ago, shaper said:

Where do you see that? I have been using my wheel on Tacx Vortex without any issues on Mywhoosh, connected via ANT+ or Bluetooth. I just see a list of recommended trainers on their site...

7 minutes ago, Johnny82 said:

Where do you see that? I have been using my wheel on Tacx Vortex without any issues on Mywhoosh, connected via ANT+ or Bluetooth. I just see a list of recommended trainers on their site...

If you follow mywoosh on Facebook, whenever anyone asks about a wheel on trainer, they state they do not support it and only recommend direct drive.  But often say they may be getting a wheel on trainer in the office to test, however never add wheel on trainers to their list.

Whilst a wheel on might work, if for any reason cadence/speed/power is off on a wheel on trainer or not working they will point you to the recommended list, which is all direct drive smart trainers or the smart bikes.  There are no wheel on trainers on the list of recommended.  

I didn't say a wheel on doesn't work, only that mywoosh do not support them and recommend you to go with a direct drive.