Chainring one tooth missing !

American Flyers

Last Saturday I took part 66km SA challenge at Stellenbosch and I went over the stormwater channel, my front large chainring hit it and lost one tooth. But I managed to finish the race.

The chainring was quite new and some people say I must replace new chainring and others say it wont make any difference.

What do you think? Must I replace or not?

If it is on the big chainring ... i would not bother to replace it .... there are enough teeth to pull the chain!

You're in the western cape, missing teeth is not uncommon. You could always replace the tooth with a gold one...

Thank you for your advice and I will leave it for now. If it makes noise or slip, I will replace it.  I am a bit worried that it might cause the chain to wear quickly.

I like ChrisH's idea the best.  Otherwise just keep using it.  If the chain slips then there is a problem - if not, ignore it.

Thank you for your advice and I will leave it for now. If it makes noise or slip' date=' I will replace it.  I am a bit worried that it might cause the chain to wear quickly.[/quote']

You don't have to worry about chain wear with a missing tooth.

Chains cause chainrings and sprockets to wear, not the other way round.

I may make a click sound initially but that will soon sort itself out as the chain whips the chainring into submission.

You're safe. Go ride.

Some semi-useless information. A cog is a tooth on a gear or sprocket.  Technically therefore you lost a cog.

I like people who insist on using their big blade, especially in the rough stuff. Thrash it out until they are all gone!