Fietsryers se veiligheid tel nie,dis geld wat tel

Call Me Crazy

Another suggestion: Maybe the finish line should have been a "finish banner" accross both lanes. This would have allowed both lanes to be used for sprinting ... meaning also no barriers and/or cones were necessary then?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another suggestion: Maybe the finish line should have been a "finish banner" accross both lanes. This would have allowed both lanes to be used for sprinting ... meaning also no barriers and/or cones were necessary then?
I agree Klapperknop, but if you look at the timing mats on the photo's, they could hardly cover one lane Confused... but that can be sorted, I think. If not... the chaps will still all have to squeeze to get on to the mat... I dunno. Lets just hope the sun shines on Sunday Big%20smile.

Klapperknop , this was a tragic incident that should not occur in any race. I just feel that in this case both cyclists and organisers are partly to blame. And feel that both should share the responsibility of this. This topic could go on forever and ome feel they are right and the others do too. The fact that the organisers made an attempt to prevent another crash - which incidentally (and unfortunatly) caused another crash - shows that the organisors do worry about our safety. I'm fortunate that I was not part of the crash and would probably have had the same amount of anger as the other cyclists should I have been part of the fall. But we sometimes need to take a step back and think carefully before we make hast comments.

Perhaps admitting to rider error or lack of rider courtesy (signals) could be part of the cause.
shammy_rash' date=' I agree with you but the rider courtesy?!? Like I said... You don't have the Boonen's doing it... why must the Malcolm Lange's, Rheeders and Jay Thompson's do it?

At that point in the race it's flat out... 1st place = lots of prize money... The finish should be set up before the start of the race and the managers should make the riders aware of any dangers... so if the sh*t hits the fan then blame the manager... Big%20smile Sorry Cruxie! WinkTongue
[/quote']

Jason, with regards to the signals I know no-one shows them in last km of the race, meant throughout race. But you must admit would be funny if they were to signal and then miss the sprintLOLLOL of course don't think the team or sponsors would be happyAngry

I honestly think we should all come together and come up with some ideas covering all the worry aspects in racing. Then put them to table with the road commissioner for CSA. I will and I am sure pedal will gladly help getting issues to table. I like the diagram Jason did and we should propose things like that. We also need the elite riders to get involved. The riders only complain and I think they should get actively involved. Remember most of the CSA officials have full time jobs and I am sure the riders can help getting their points across.

cyclemania, i'm 100% with you on this view.

btw, i'm not sure if i ever want to try race again sooooo... although i'll do a couple of events for the fun of them, i certainly won't be putting myself at the mercy of other riders in a bunch that much in the comming year... i'm more than willing to do whatever courses are required and to make myself available to assist in an official capacity at events where i won't be riding.... how do i go about doing this. (i'm asking this here so that any other people interested can also see what they need to do)

Look..... all I can do is act as the link but the riders need to document their issues. No use telling me their problems. If it is on paper and was sent to the correct parties the riders have something to fall on and demand answers.

That's why I posed the question...

The problem then is getting the bunch from the gutter to the left of the white line' date=' more than it is a lack of space for the bunch to sprint in?.

Soooo? how do you get the gutter to move from the edge of the road to inside the white line, so as not to collide with the barriers???

Now there?s a good question, and for all the riders and managers that are so quick to throw accusations?

What would you do (knowing that with racing comes tactics and gutters) to make it safe???

[/quote'] Instead of throwing blame around, lets try and find a workable solution to the problem....

Crux that is why I suggest that we start an open forum with representatives of all parties. That would be a representative of the elite riders, CSA, fun riders or clubs and then organizers. Maybe have a monthly meeting were issues of the past month be disgust. These issues then need to be formally sent to the Road Commission President for personal attention. That is way the provinces voted for the people to be there.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Let?s make use of the people voted in power. If they don?t pull there wait then take it further. I just feel that the rider complain loads but never wants to put it on paper for CSA to further the issues.

If the meeting is anything like the monthly meeting at work then it is talk to death. LOL......

I just think it is a good start.

Gutter riding does not mean you should be on the wrong side of the white line.

Gutter riding means the rider that throws the gutter ride as close to the edge of the road (read white line) as is posible to allow his team slip stream on the correct side of the line.

The problem : Weaker riders can't/don't create their own slip/gutter/pace line and cross over the white line, putting themselves in danger.

The solution : commisaires should disqualify any and every body that cross over the line.

Suggested solution: Change wind direction in the last 100m

No, better yet, Ban anyone who makes us ride in the gutter....