I'm confused,V or disc brakes...

AndreZA

Mintsauce is very likely a fellow who likes to lock his brakes hence the obsession with power.

as far as modulatin goes' date=' V' brakes are far better in modulation but and not too far away interms of brake torque generated.

Sure discs are great but the best disc are far far more expensive than the best V-s
[/quote']

WTF....which thumb do you suck your assumptions out of!?

I very clearly stated why i prefer more power. There's no obsession. I prefer more power because i like trails as technical as possible and in those situations i have more control if i can brake with one finger on the lever as opposed to two. An extra finger on each side of the bar means more control and finesse in techy sections.

As a matter of fact, i strongly preach against locking of brakes on any trail....if you're gonna start hurling derogatory remarks, at least try base it on facts and not whims!

As for v's having better modulation, that's your opinion. I've ridden all the best v's available and i find that discs give better modulation....and that's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

Get over it....and get over yourself

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of that list I would upgrade to the Avid Single Digit 7's not the 5's, you can pick them up online at virtually nothing. If you want the best all-round disc brakes, look at the old XT 4 pot brakes.

Mampara,

For a lot less than a set of disks, you can get yourself a set of Avid Arch Rivals, about the best rim brakes arround, also check out Chainreactions sale on avid Singlle digit 7's.

I've done two bikes up in the last 2 months with LX shifter/brake combo (not the dual) and SD7's, absolutely brilliant braking, better than my XT duals with SD Ti's and ceramic SL's.

After watching Greg Minnaar do a 30 foot controlled endo, I'd have to say disks must have pretty good modulation.

I've reacently got my first set of disks (Juicy 7's) and they are powerful, without being on or off,

So I'm going to take the now rather grumpy MintSauce's side on this one

Sorry for being grumpy Giant....i just don't take very kindly to people making assumptions about me that have no factual basis! Especially if they're not very kind assumptions!

In the world of GoLefty! he is right, everyone else is wrong LOL..pay him no attention, he is actually quite a nice guy in real lifeApprove, just convinced his opinion is right, and if he wants yours, he will give it to you LOL

In the world of GoLefty! he is right' date=' everyone else is wrong LOL..pay him no attention, he is actually quite a nice guy in real lifeApprove, just convinced his opinion is right, and if he wants yours, he will give it to you LOL[/quote']

LOL

This is what i was thinking! Met him on the trail once or twice and he seems like a decent oke!

Mintsauce is very likely a fellow who likes to lock his brakes hence the obsession with power.

as far as modulatin goes' date=' V' brakes are far better in modulation but and not too far away interms of brake torque generated.

Sure discs are great but the best disc are far far more expensive than the best V-s
[/quote']

WTF....which thumb do you suck your assumptions out of!?

I very clearly stated why i prefer more power. There's no obsession. I prefer more power because i like trails as technical as possible and in those situations i have more control if i can brake with one finger on the lever as opposed to two. An extra finger on each side of the bar means more control and finesse in techy sections.

As a matter of fact, i strongly preach against locking of brakes on any trail....if you're gonna start hurling derogatory remarks, at least try base it on facts and not whims!

As for v's having better modulation, that's your opinion. I've ridden all the best v's available and i find that discs give better modulation....and that's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

Get over it....and get over yourself

Ohhhhh seeeenC.tiiiive...

But I apologise for equating your power needs to trail wrecking... I wasjust trolling for a reaction and it seems I got one..

Yes it is my opinion that V's have better modulation and if you've tried Magura HS 33 you'll understand why i say so. You don;t have to accept it, just try to understant that there are people who have experience as well and therefore entitled to an opinion.

you like one finger braking power,........so do I. And I did when I had Vee's too. In fact the XTR V's i used were probably the best brakes I've tried, especially when mated to a ceramic rim. Perhaps the MTR M965 disc or Juicy 7 disc's are now better but not by that much that they are a must have.

My opinion is that disc are not absolutley necessary and that is what I believe. It seems you're the one with an issue around accepting opinions other than your own.

So kindly get over yourself and move on

In the world of GoLefty! he is right' date=' everyone else is wrong LOL..pay him no attention, he is actually quite a nice guy in real lifeApprove, just convinced his opinion is right, and if he wants yours, he will give it to you LOL[/quote']

LOL

It seems you're the one with an issue around accepting opinions other than your own.

So kindly get over yourself and move on

Please explain what you base this assumption on?

I have no problem with your opinion. I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I never disrespected it, i simply gave you mine, which is fair. I can agree do disagree.

The only thing i have a problem with is that when our opinions differed, you started hurling insults.

There's no need to get personal.

Get to know me first and then, if you think i'm a dick, have the balls to tell it to me to my face, i'll say thank you and good-bye and avoid you in future.

That's you're opinion respected.

However, don't trash me on this forum when you don't know me and you have no facts to base it on!

agreed, no need to get personal and I apologise that I offended you by making a silly statement around locking back brakes. You're right I don;t know you, have never ridden with you and have no just cause for saying that.

I painted you with a brush reserved for a large number of dicks in Tokai, obsessed with big brakes and big tyres and literally trashing the place. I got ahead of myself.

Can you feel the love?

Hug

Thanks Lefty. Had some experiences in life with people forming opinions of me, so sorry if i maybe seem over-sensitive.

I tend to take a very firm stand.

Apology accepted.

Hope to see you at the groupride in Jonkershoek!

Cheers

Mint