I'm confused,V or disc brakes...

AndreZA

The date is closing for when I'm gonna buy my MTB. At the expo I spoke to alot of people and everone's opinion regardign the two brake systems are different. I'n not goo get a bike that got top of the range brakes but there will still be a R1000 price difference between the same bike with different brake options. The bike is for playing in the dirt and will not be doing marathons or major events. So far what I've realised is that disc brakes give better stopping in the wet. It can be costly as the discs can wear down quickly. V brakes can still give you good braking in the dry but not in the wet/mud.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And there you've summed it up nicely.  I love my discs, won't change for anything.  But it's your choice.

If you get decent discs and use decent pads they last forever and give you better stopping power and better modulation.

It all depends what you want to spend really... and whether you plan to ride in the rain. I agree with Ti's comments, but is that what you want? Also if you haven't tried you don't know any better and you will love your good pair of V's. You don't want to know how awesome a good set of discs are...it hurts your wallet. but you will still fork out.

I thought this debate had been settled years ago!?

I'll NEVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER go back to V's. A pain in the @$$ to setup, useless in the wet, barely adequate in the dry(once you've spent some quality time on good discs) and to quote someone on MTBR...:

"Nothing compares to hydraulic schmooooov. Using cables feels like pulling barbed wire out of a badgers a$$"

V-brakes work very well, only crap if you're lbs set them up k@k and you only notice this on the descendAngryLOL

otherwise I'm very happy with the V'sThumbs%20Up

TitusTi - can you comment on pads perhaps? I run Juicy 7's, have the Avid pads in the rear and BBB pads front. Just installed these brakes, bought them second hand. Do you have any experience regarding Avid original versus 'OEM' pads like BBB?

If you are not into serious stuff then go V - Why, they are lighter, cheaper, work well in 90% of situations. the only drawbacks I can see are the don't work as well in the wet and mud and your hands get tired if you need to do a lot of braking around technical tracks.

I have disks and they work well and last OK, but give them lots o mud and they are toast very quickly. ask anyone from the last Epic.

most of those with V brakes made it through the stage without too many problems. O yes, the pads are also normally much easier to change and more freely avaliable.

I've just gone back to V's after years with discs....I'm happy with them although I haven't ridden in the rain with them, but will avoid riding in pouring rain if I can.......set them up right and they will be fine...... 

better suspenion will be money better spent imho

TitusTi - can you comment on pads perhaps? I run Juicy 7's' date=' have the Avid pads in the rear and BBB pads front. Just installed these brakes, bought them second hand. Do you have any experience regarding Avid original versus 'OEM' pads like BBB?[/quote']

I've been running Juicy7's since March 05. Just sent them in for the first rebuild. Absolutely haven't touched them once. Rotor's aren't even showing any substantial wear.

I use Koolstop pads. Seem to last as long or longer than the originals, but are slightly smoother. Haven't used the BBB's.

The only thing i'd swop these for are Juicy Ultimates....got a case of UGI coming onBig%20smile

There are pros & cons within each system and it depends on the type of riding you are planning on doing.

In an Adventure race, where there is no-one to help you out should you suffer from Hydraulic brake failure (and it's happened), V's are the way to go and of course lighter when you have to lug your bike around.