iBike power meter

_Daemon_

What I love about this product is that the company marketing it are constantly improving it and adding upgrades' date=' some for free, some at a cost. The people at Powertap simply redesign the unit evertime they make a change to keep you buying it. The pending wireless version is a case in point.

Hopefully soon, iBike will have an version that will be switchable from Road bike to MTB. Then the powertap wheelset will be up for sale

I know which Power meter I'll be buying when the Powetap's lifecycle comes to an end.

It won;t be another Powertap.
[/quote']

So when iBike want to include a new feature like cadence or MTB version like you want,  are you telling me this new feature appears magically.......?

I'm sure you have buy / upgrade SOMETHING if you want the new functionality.  The same with Powertap.  You can buy the new one IF you want wireless or buy the older version if not.

From all the power forums that I have visited, the iBike has been mentioned only a few times as an option and usually NOT in a very good light.

I'm no Engineer but some of the drawbacks of the iBike seem pretty obvious to me too.

Personally after reading about all the different ypes, I too am going for the Powertap as the best value for the money I can spend. I'd rather save and wait longer than spend money on something like the iBike.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey gianni' date=' pop over to the "Most Sensitive Topic for 2006" thread and stir up a storm there!!
LOL
[/quote']

Just did.   going to get lynched.....Big%20smile

Bruce, GoLefty - you guys are arguing about the same thing - you are both right.

The sum of forces will be equal to zero, and opposing forces(drag, friction VS rider output) will be equal, but in opposite directions.

As for which product is better - you can still have a go at each other over that - it is quite entertaining, and insightful.

Bruce' date=' GoLefty - you guys are arguing about the same thing - you are both right.

The sum of forces will be equal to zero, and opposing forces(drag, friction VS rider output) will be equal, but in opposite directions.

As for which product is better - you can still have a go at each other over that - it is quite entertaining, and insightful.

[/quote']

Velouria, I think you need to read the other thread on this topic.  The one in which GoLefty!! seems to take issue with the concept you have just explained.

i believe valverde only recently started training with a power meter.. must be kinda crap for other riders on the pro tour that have been actively following power training programs etc. and getting their assess kicked by someone that did not pay attention to all this stuff before Wacko.

yep.

He trains a lot on feel and I think he still largely ignores his trainers suggestions.

The gadgets are good but one should never underestimates one's intincts.

One of the interesting things about Power Based training, is that it has validated the way some of these guys used to train.

i believe valverde only recently started training with a power meter.. must be kinda crap for other riders on the pro tour that have been actively following power training programs etc. and getting their assess kicked by someone that did not pay attention to all this stuff before Wacko.

But Valverde does everything the traditional way.  He trains with his mates in the mountains, he eats what he wants and makes up for it with a combination of unbelievable genes and unnatural enhancements.  He is has an excellent relationship with one Dr Fuentes who was his team doctor at Kelme and has continued that relationship.

But Valverde does everything the traditional way.  He trains with his mates in the mountains' date=' he eats what he wants and makes up for it with a combination of unbelievable genes and unnatural enhancements.  He is has an excellent relationship with one Dr Fuentes who was his team doctor at Kelme and has continued that relationship.
[/quote']

his name was linked to the "list".....

I thought about this for some time, I think one should have HR as well as power sessions. Seperately... So one day youl so HR training, keeping constant for aerobic, and next day, power, where you don't care where the HR go, so doing power endurance if I may call it that. And the same with intervals... don't think you can just say you won't do HR training anymore.

Its simple, if you want to know your power and dont want to spend alot buy the iBike. But if you want more accurate readings buy a PowerTap and if you are serious about power training and want your presise watts get an SRM, they are alot more expensive but it is worth it

I thought about this for some time' date=' I think one should have HR as well as power sessions. Seperately... So one day youl so HR training, keeping constant for aerobic, and next day, power, where you don't care where the HR go, so doing power endurance if I may call it that. And the same with intervals... don't think you can just say you won't do HR training anymore.[/quote']

i agree with you there, although i have never gone out and say "Today I am gonna do some interval training "

Perhaps a new year resolution for me is to start doing some interval trainingWink

I thought about this for some time' date=' I think one should have HR as well as power sessions. Seperately... So one day youl so HR training, keeping constant for aerobic, and next day, power, where you don't care where the HR go, so doing power endurance if I may call it that. And the same with intervals... don't think you can just say you won't do HR training anymore.[/quote']

Cervelo - I am afraid I do not follow your logic here at all ?

Both HR and Power are used as metrics for measuring exercise intensity. Power is a direct and accurate measurement of exercise intensity whereas HR is a measure of the body's response to exercise intensity.

HR has many flaws, including;

1. It only measures the body's response to training

2. It is subject to many non exercise intensity based variables (Temp, hydration, fatigue etc)

Your assumption that "aerobic" type training would be better suited to HR is misguided - steady aerobic training is still better measured by riding within a range of power than by a range of HR. You are far more likely to stay in the correct zones when using an accurate, direct and responsive measure of the intensity of the session than using an indirect measure of the body's response to the intensity of the session.

Its simple' date=' if you want to know your power and dont want to spend alot buy the iBike. But if you want more accurate readings buy a PowerTap and if you are serious about power training and want your presise watts get an SRM, they are alot more expensive but it is worth it

[/quote']

Not correct - the PT has an accuracy of +/- 1.5% (Claimed)

SRM Amateur +/- 5%,

SRM Pro +/- 2%

Only the SRM Science has a better claimed accuracy of +/- 0.5% - (and it is a serious research tool only & not for regular use)