Dome to Dome yesterday - UCI rules

Contaminated Haggis

Although the race is a UCI  race, only the first group that left at 5:45 was a UCI mens group. All other racing catogries were normal CGC events and were not part of UCI.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry about the caps but i was very aggravated.

Respect is a two way street.

Slow riders keep left , please.

Slow riders keep left ' date=' please.
[/quote']

Question, if the race then moves on to the right of the road, do you want slow on the left or the right?

Not argueing, just a question.

To keep it simple i think the slow riders should keep left

at all times , as not to confuse people.

I suppose it depends on the marshals and what the

erace organisers decide.Smile

in the last ride for sight  the same thing happened,

i saw about 3  accidents , where faster riders

went into the back of slower guys.

its dangerous for everybody.

Gobbo, cant agree more, slower riders should be on the left.

Just a suggestion though (difficult to actually do for some) is to just say comming past on the left/right.

Its flippen scary when you are totally knackered in a ride and some oke comes flying past screaming at everyone. My thinking is like the reverse of being in the faster groups - if you are slow in a fast bunch, you a danger to everyone, but if you a fast rider in a slow bunch you are a danger to the slow people.

Gobbo We differ there.

I would rather say slow riders keep to the curb side of the road. That way no confusion. If right lane, then stick right, that means that should there need for a big group to go past, they don't have to wrap around slow riders in the middle of the road, or risk going off the edge of the road...

But hey, am not fussed. Just a thought, use it, don't use it.Pickled2008-09-15 07:49:32

I'm with Slowbee on this and hate it when people shout at slow riders - it's usually a sign of inflated ego and no class.

It's easy to ask nicely & we want these folk to come back.

An experienced rider approaching from behind can sort the situation out & there will be a few hairy moments but that's how it is.

Hats off to anyone going 30kmh on the last 15km of D2D.  The slow riders were going slow and getting off for a reason.

UCI...UCI....UCI.....

I got info that this was actually NOT a UCI race????

Why do you guys think the girls was allowed to race VS?  If it was "UCI classified"' date=' they would not have been allowed!!

So......I think UCI had nothing to do with it.

Jules.....

Get over it dude.

The Open cats HATE it if a "licensed" rider drops down and come make the tired and take their play money...LOL

I think if you WANT to drop down, do it properly, drop down to ZZ and ride your MTB.  Maybe then CSA will allow you to? Wink
[/quote']

Well, something went amiss then between this article, on the cyclingnews.co.za website and the race:

MTN SA has announced its sponsorship of the internationally

sanctioned elite men?s and women?s cycling events that form part of the

PowerAde Dome2Dome Cycling Spectacular on the weekend of 13-14

September.

The Dome2Dome is part of world cycling?s global

calendar, presenting a women?s sanctioned event for the first time this

year alongside the men?s UCI Africa Tour event which took place in 2007

for the first time.

Full article here:

http://www.cyclingnews.co.za/Pages/Default.asp?More=D2D%20on%20global%20cycling%20map%20thanks%20to%20MTN&FeatureID=3113&SectionID=82

I would have thought a women's UCI-sanctioned race would have to be ridden as a women-only event too.

What was the prizemoney? UCI-status event prizemoney is quite a whack compared to what our races usually offer. I know Amashova had to find a lot more prize money to gain UCI-status

[/quote']

Slow riders have every right to be there as well, sorry, but I only pull over for beer, - pass me where ever you like, shout a friendly "coming through"' and I will try and accomodate you, but swear at me and I am going to come looking for you.

[/quote']

Slow riders have every right to be there as well, sorry, but I only pull over for beer, - pass me where ever you like, shout a friendly "coming through"' and I will try and accomodate you, but swear at me and I am going to come looking for you.

Porky I fully agree with you. The 'slow' and often derisively referred to as 'funriders' are the okes who make our sport. It gets tricky on a MTB course sometimes with singletrack when you are lapping other guys and sometimes little kids, but you are quite right - treat everyone with the due respect that they have every right to be there, let them know you are coming and wind it when safe.....saw Nick Bester overtaking a little kid like that in the highland gate MTB last year, he was encouraging the little okie through a technical section even though the kid was holding us up and we were racing flat out. That to me is the sign of a champ..

so do we agree that only the elite and u23 men were in a uci race? (sorry' date=' i did not read the whole thread)[/quote']

I do believe that even the results are showing it the way you are stating it!

so do we agree that only the elite and u23 men were in a uci race? (sorry' date=' i did not read the whole thread)[/quote']

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I beleive only the elite men (pro teams such as MTN and Neotel) were in a uci race.  The u23 men started and rode with the Juniors.  Which may be the reason why the Junior start time was 3 minutes earlier than it was supposed to be (I think moving start times forward without notifying participants before hand is unacceptable on the organisers side).

I take my hat off to any cyclist on a ride , the fact the people

are actually doing some excercise is great.

The only problem is towards the end of these rides we are all

very exhausted and concentration is not at its best due to

fatigue , this can cause accidents.

I will be more polite in future.

You live and learn.Big%20smile