Cycling for beginners

Spindy

One of the first things you must do is have your bike setup professionally. It will make a huge difference in your riding and will avoid countless injuries.

If you are in the Western Cape area then you have Chris Willemse Cycles or Cycle Lab that can do it for you.

Its the best R250 I have spent for my cycling

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

spindy the main aim of cycling is to go out and enjoy yourself !!!! make new friends and stay healthy .

I started cycling two years ago for health reasons and have never looked back its a great sport and form of recreation with so many good friends that i have made in the two years Big%20smileBig%20smile

My first argus was on my MTB which i bought in nov 2005 and did my first Argus in 2006 march.

I tell you i suffered more with my wife Sweetie looking for her wedding shoes than i did riding the Argus so dont worry you will be fine its a easy ride you must just have FUN Big%20smileBig%20smile

No Hagar' date=' I think all booties are toffie. No point for their existance in a normal road race and absolutely no place on a MTB.

[/quote'] Not even on the TransB when I was freezing my toes off at night............and no one could see me wearing them? Embarrassed

I have developed a generic checklist which I go through before a race even if you dont need everything at least you wont forget anything if you have the list. I also make sure that all these essentials are stored in a carry box which can be purchased at any P n P. It is so important to make sure that your timing chip, lube, tools etc are always safely kept as you dont want start playing hide and seek the night before a race.

Defnitely agree, have seen some bad accidents in groups. One guy not thinking can blow everyone of their bikes

Please share your checklist - this will be great.

Will it be o.k to ride the argus with MTB? Is it not much more difficult?

If you must, do it with slick tyres. It will be way easier.

If you must' date=' do it with slick tyres. It will be way easier.
[/quote']

panzie.. Titus rode argus A group with his 29'er and full knobblies ths year. mad fool

its a bit slower on your MTB but much more fun and much easier to get up those little hills you glide up them effortlessly.

If you dont want to ruin your MTB tires get some smooth roads tires for the MTB quite cheap and just use them on the day !!!

the plastic box its a good idea my wife has got all my things in the box so it does not lye around the house Clap

I have a MTB - Kona

We went to Majik forest (5min from us)

So much fun

BUT i wanna do road cycling as well. So scared, as a female...

I must just do it

If you must' date=' do it with slick tyres. It will be way easier.
[/quote']

panzie.. Titus rode argus A group with his 29'er and full knobblies ths year. mad fool

jislaaik, and what was his time? I improved my 94.7 time a lot by fitting slicks. Pansie, and proud of it.

jislaaik' date=' and what was his time? I improved my 94.7 time a lot by fitting slicks. Pansie, and proud of it.
[/quote']

2:51:32

I have a MTB - Kona

We went to Majik forest (5min from us)

So much fun

BUT i wanna do road cycling as well. So scared' date=' as a female...

I must just do it

[/quote']

Riding an MTB is fine, it is more comfortable riding position and better gearing for hills. I did all my early riding on an MTB and only bought a road bike because I got tired of passing guy's on every hill only to have them ride away from me on the downhills and flats with their longer gearing and better aero position.

If you want a cheap set of tyres that works well on the road (ie - low rolling resistance) as well as off road, get a set of Kenda Komodos. Otherwise use slicks for road riding like the rest have suggested.

Lastly, the one place to spend money and not skimp is on riding shorts. By the best ones you can afford, it is worth it.

Will PM you with the list Spindy.

spindy the main aim of cycling is to go out and enjoy yourself !!!! make new friends and stay healthy .

I started cycling two years ago for health reasons and have never looked back its a great sport and form of recreation with so many good friends that i have made in the two years Big%20smileBig%20smile

My first argus was on my MTB which i bought in nov 2005 and did my first Argus in 2006 march.

I tell you i suffered more with my wife Sweetie looking for her wedding shoes than i did riding the Argus so dont worry you will be fine its a easy ride you must just have FUN Big%20smileBig%20smile

I have to echo Hagar on that one. Dirty Twin and I started cycling almost two years ago. DT was 93kg and I was 90,2kg! we are both sitting at 72ish kg now and feel great. Its all about having fun for us and that will always be our outlook. Big%20smile