Cycling for beginners

Spindy

Hi ppl...guess everyone needs to start somewhere.

Well please give advise of any kind that will help for road and MTB cycling that beginners can work with.

If Im doing the Argus for the first time, can you guys suggest training schedules, important things to remember, stuff to avoid. any great tips.

Thanx a million - hope to hear from all of ya soon  Star

20080918_004309_bike2.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Training schedules I can not advice you since I really don't train like that .

Remember you bike , helmut , gloves , entry forms , water , gel , sammies .

Avoid the manholes , back of the bunch , middle of the bunch , any bunch . Especially if this will be your first Argus .

Things to look out for : The mountain , Brass Bell , the Finish .

stay away from alcohol, smoking (both kinds), late night parties and get enoug sleep. Saturdays cycle for 50 km and on Sundays go for long slow rides about 4 hours worth. You can also try spinning during the week at your gym.

Smile

If you want to race long races, you must first be able to finish them before you can start worrying about the time you're doing them in. It does not help you train on a 50km route and you want to do 100km races. You need time in the saddle to get your body use to it.

Another thing is you need good shorts and a good saddle. One will not make up for the other.

If you want to race long races' date=' you must first be able to finish them before you can start worrying about the time you're doing them in. It does not help you train on a 50km route and you want to do 100km races. You need time in the saddle to get your body use to it.

Another thing is you need good shorts and a good saddle. One will not make up for the other.

[/quote']

now why did not one tell me this before I got that dodgy black Sella something or other SLR ??

pwwwaaa hindsight..... is a perfect art

Try do one of the Argus seeding races before the time to get a better seeding otherwise you will be seeded at the back

stay away from alcohol' date=' smoking (both kinds), late night parties and get enoug sleep. Saturdays cycle for 50 km and on Sundays go for long slow rides about 4 hours worth. You can also try spinning during the week at your gym.

Smile
[/quote']

are you outta your mind?Shocked

Hi ppl...guess everyone needs to start somewhere.

Well please give advise of any kind that will help for road and MTB cycling that beginners can work with.

If Im doing the Argus for the first time' date=' can you guys suggest training schedules, important things to remember, stuff to avoid. any great tips.

Thanx a million - hope to hear from all of ya soon  Star

[/quote']

My advice? Stay off the road! LOL

Buy a MTB, some baggy shorts, don't shave your legs. Go out, get dirty, have fun and don't get killed. Doesn't get much better than that! Tongue

stay away from alcohol' date=' smoking (both kinds), late night parties and get enoug sleep.

[/quote']

Must be a fascist roadie. Beer is a carbohydrate. Carbo loading is good, especially before a race. Big%20smile

Don't stop pedaling' date=' EVER.

Find a group riding near you as soon as possible, join them, learn from them.
[/quote']

agree - join up with somone that you can cycle with. its safer riding in a group than on your own. they also know what roads are dangerous and to avoid.

depending where you stay the following clubs can accomodate you.

Cyclelab - Southern Subs

City - Goodwood/Plattekloof/Edgemead/Bothasig

Outriders - Tableview/Parklands/Milnerton

There is also a group called the High Street Cycles that operate somewhere along Durban Road Bellville.

Buy a MTB' date=' some baggy shorts, don't shave your legs. Go out, get dirty, have fun and don't get killed. Doesn't get much better than that! Tongue

[/quote']

Hog, you forgot, drink beer, eat red meat and party all night.

Hog' date=' you forgot, drink beer, eat red meat and party all night.

[/quote']

WHAT? Are you saying there's people out there that don't drink beer, eat red meat and party all night? WHY? LOL

Buy a MTB' date=' some baggy shorts, don't shave your legs. Go out, get dirty, have fun and don't get killed. Doesn't get much better than that! Tongue

[/quote']

Hog, you forgot, drink beer, eat red meat and party all night.

worked for anquiteil. (just avoid knocking up your step-daughterWink)