Training / Natural Talent?

Jean-Jay

How many of you have heard someone say to you "Oh well i am not fit at the moment, i have not been training for a while" and then in the heat of the race they are at the front hammering the pace home and actually finish with a brilliant result and you who has been training finishes in the next calendar month. Confused

Can natural talent account for such a diff???

What is meant by natural talent?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you have heard someone say to you "Oh well i am not fit at the moment' date=' i have not been training for a while" and then in the heat of the race they are at the front hammering the pace home and actually finish with a brilliant result and you who has been training finishes in the next calendar month. Confused

[/quote']

Don't believe everything people tell you before the start of a race!!

It's called muscle memory dude! You get people that did a lot of

riding/racing in the past and they are still strong even after little

training. For example, I did a race recently with Kosie Loubser and I

know he hasnt done any or very little training this year and he was

very strong. I reckon he will pick up very quickly again after a bit of

training Tongue.

i think that natural talent only comes into play with sports where some level of skill is involved such as golf & other ball sports.

with endurance sports i think that the only natural talent that could count in your favour is body composition i.e. height and overall body mass.  the rest can be trained.

I think its a bit of a mindset as well. If you are a good cyclist and havent been training, you still know how to take the pain psychologically. Fitness has obviously got alot to do with it but cycling is about mental toughness!!!

Guest Michelle
Cruxie.... tell Dr Seuss about that guy that went from never riding a bike to taking part in the TDF in 2 years....

Cruxie

.... tell Dr Seuss about that guy that went from never riding a bike to taking part in the TDF in 2 years....

tell me more!

This is kinda related & I'm asking for opinions so that should save me....

Down in the nether regions of groups E-Z where me and my kind find ourselves there is fierce, if not pointless, rivalry.

I'm on a mission to get to the top of this primeval sludge in time for Hyper-Hyper  on 28th Jan but will be away 26th Dec to 12th Jan and no chance of training in that time.

Will natural talent and/or training beforehand see me through or should I target a later race for making the big splash?

In cycling there is no replacement for hard work, if you're not fit enough ride more, if you're not fast enough ride faster, all very simple really. The people that are fitter and faster than you have been training harder for longer. And yes muscle memory and the ability to suffer, are enormous factors for success.

In cycling there is no replacement for hard work' date=' if you're not fit enough ride more, if you're not fast enough ride faster, all very simple really. The people that are fitter and faster than you have been training harder for longer. And yes muscle memory and the ability to suffer, are enormous factors for success.[/quote']

I agree with u somewhat, but i made the mistake of overtraining lately and i did very bad.

mmmmm, sometimes you dont realize something until someone takes it out of your hand and slaps u thru the face with it!

NICE ONE!

I agree with u somewhat' date=' but i made the mistake of overtraining lately and i did very bad.

[/quote']

I really don't think that such a thing as "overtraining" exists. I think you can put in too much training with not enough recovery, or an ill-structured training regime that doesn't enable you to peak at the right time, or leave all your training till the last minute, and be at the wrong point in the process at the wrong time.

But, as far as cycling goes, I don't think I have ever heard a pro talk of being over trained... And these guys (I'm sure) spend a hell of a lot more time on the bike than us.