What

TNT1

Ok, reading some of this stuff.... Why do you use discs over V brakes? Water? Mud? Aren't discs heavier? If water is the issue, why don't road bikes use them? 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So no technical reason? (I mean apart from the untrue wheels, which I suppose could happen during a ride/race, but then fixed afterwards, so not valid for me)

TNT, I think it is a combination of braking power (needed by Mtb),

on the route ease (if you hit something hard and bend the wheel) also more relevant to mtb)

Easier to set up

River crossing and dust.

Most of these are not common on the road, where weight is a bit more of an issue than on the trail.  ergo no disc on the road.

Cyclo cross is starting to go disc though.

to be honest in huge muddy rides you do lose braking power with V brakes and yes the untrue wheel situation also is a problem but yes they are lighter and they are easier to maintain and relatively easy to set and any good set of V brakes has the same if not better stopping power than disks so if you looking to save weight go V brakes but if you wanna look like the rest of the crowd then go disks

Question!  If I want to buy a MTB for primarily commuting to work when it is raining, what brakes would be best to have on?  V-brakes, mechanical disk brakes or hydraulic disk brakes?

OK I have seen this V's can be better than disks before . I would really like to test such a set at some stage , just for the hell of it . And then we always get the story of how complicated and full of sheeet disks are ! I got three bikes with different models and makes of disks , yet to have a problem that did not take 5 minutes to solve . Ok so why then disks was the question : More controlled braking under all conditions .

"More controlled braking under all conditions" Meaning? Better modulation? Wont lock a wheel? 

TNT' date=' I think it is a combination of braking power (needed by Mtb),

on the route ease (if you hit something hard and bend the wheel) also more relevant to mtb)

Easier to set up

River crossing and dust.

Most of these are not common on the road, where weight is a bit more of an issue than on the trail.  ergo no disc on the road.

Cyclo cross is starting to go disc though.
[/quote']

Kona, you've been hanging around here for long enough to know that disk brakes don't provide more braking force (not power) than rim brakes. We've discussed this ad nauseum and I'm sure you've participated a few times.

If you need reminding, do a search on "overturning momentum" and me as the author.

Both rim brakes and disks have their ad and disadvantages but none of those you cite are relevant. For instance, how does dust or water affect rim brakes? Set-up. V-brakes are set up chop-chop and then stay that way until you remove the pads or break a component?

Why is weight an issue on the road and not the trail?

Methinks you have a bad case of MAS.

smiley36.gif How does water affect rim brakes ? Maybe you should go and ask the few blokes that went over the edge on day one on the Hell 2 back when the rain came and they had to go down the hill !!!

disk breaks are more responsive in wet muddy conditions, they got more breaking power, but yes they are slightly heavier.