Poor road manners

MWdeJager

how hard is it to have a rolling closure?

Maybe it's easy. Why not find out which events have a "rolling closure" currently and then point the PPA to them. At what point does the rolling closure stop - after the Elites, D,E,F etc.

The A group was giving it as much stick as I've seen in the vets races. What happens when the "gutter" is on the gutter side - do you ride on the gravel - I don't think so! So what should make the white line any different. Nothing but discipline!

You have to realise that it will take ONE accident with a vehicle and that could easilly mean the end of the organised rides in the Western Cape - never mind the danger to the cyclists themselves.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colonel

Token: Hey buddy how you? Whats up lately? You not riding and you seem lank grumpy?

Exactly the same mentality as the thugs and criminals who beat up Oupa. THEY WERE BREAKING THE LAW OF THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!. It is this type of attitide which breeds vehement responses from people like Deon Maas. Not one of us can ever again complain if things go wrong.... seriously wrong...... Put your hand into your own bosom and see if it comes out pure. We ourselves can only be blamed for road rage and negative views towards cyclists.

I WILL blame the Bedfordview Six and the behaviour of the so called "elites" (see their name spelled in L/C, the do not deserve a capital letter!!!!) if any road rage or deliberate harm become M and myself or any other cyclist in the future.

Shame on all of you!!!!!! NOTHING justfies what you have done!!!!!!!

Hi Guys.

Everyone is looking for Deon Maas, but he is right, Cycling SA needs to clean up before we try and justify our actions.

I also spoke to Deon Maas yesterday and asked him to lift these photo's for his next cycling related article.

He got all the gun power in this struggle, and you still going for him.

Sorry, but somewere , someone needs to take action.

Hi Guys.

Everyone is looking for Deon Maas' date=' but he is right, Cycling SA needs to clean up before we try and justify our actions.

I also spoke to Deon Maas yesterday and asked him to lift these photo's for his next cycling related article.

He got all the gun power in this struggle, and you still going for him.

Sorry, but somewere , someone needs to take action.
[/quote']

Popeye, I think that you are muddling the two issues. There is NO justification for increasing the aggravation between motorists and cyclists. NONE. That is what he did.

I think that what you did was stooooopid! This guy has absolutely no interest in promoting the well being of cycling. His article is self-serving & inflamatory and now he will use this (as well as any abusive material that he will have received in the past few days) to JUSTIFY what is really unjustifiable. 

I have no clue what you mean by "he got all the gun power in this struggle" but he and the Volksblad deserve to be taken to task for his article in a reasonable manner by reasonable people. The "STRUGGLE" is to get everyone to start to obey ALL the road rules!!! And that includes all cyclists! Full stop.

how hard is it to have a rolling closure?

Not hard' date=' but are you willing to pay the cost of all the cops and vehicles to do it?[/quote']

the entry fee for this race was the almost the same as the argus/94.7, which has full road closure. so yes, we did pay

Windbreaker.

For how long do we aergue this point "DON'T GO OVER THE WHITE LINE" ?

For how long do you hear the argument that they call it "GUTTERING"?

Do you see the back groups going over the white line ? = NO

Why is the elites and racings VETS / Sub Vets allowed to brake the race rules.?

Noone ever gets DQ, and everytime its happening again and again.

Who can remember that our own Elite group went "right" around the front of Ou Kapse weg in one race, and the PPA had a big fuss, promising that it will never happened again?

Who is going to stop that?

or .. Do we wait till a car , oneday, kill the first 20 cyclists in the bunch ?

So, Maybe I'm stupid, but not short sighted...Soemeone needs to answer why this is still happening.

And thats the race orginizers and race referee.

The sponsers is going to get gatvol for the bad publicity they get in their sponsered races.

Than you guys don't have to pay and orginize your own races and pay if you wants the road to be closed.

We are our own enemy.

Why don't they have racing marchells in the various groups?

You cant have racing marshals in the elite group... its battle of survival in a tour de gutter race like yest

Believe me, this has been discussed in some length, but Donkey is right; with the elites etc is kinda hard to find a marshal to ride with them...Confused;  in the spring league we had a marshal on a motorbike "policing" the ride up at the sharp end..seemed to work quite well.   You must also remember that the marshals are all volunteers, and as we are normally all involved at the start, we therefore leave last.  To get marshals in all the groups would mean getting more marshals, and with the ablility, to ride with C, D, E etc etc.  So, all volunteers are welcome!  If you want to give something back...only 6 rides per season....anybody?

popeye, I understand that you are concerned and annoyed. Fine. Have you sent a mail to the PPA complaining about this latest incident? If not why not? If you have and have not received a satisfactory response then use this forum to drum up support for your argument with the PPA.

But realise that Deon Maas doesn't give a sh*t about what you and I feel strongly about i.e. cycling safety and that he will use anything that you give him for his own personal agenda.

Getting back to the original problem -

If riders decide to not follow the racing rules, ie riding on the wrong side of the road, it is the race comm/marshal's job to enforce the rules - warning followed by DQ. If they didn't do that then they're not doing their job. That's one of the things you're paying for with your entry fee.

Getting back to the original problem -
If riders decide to not follow the racing rules' date=' ie riding on the wrong side of the road, it is the race comm/marshal's job to enforce the rules - warning followed by DQ. If they didn't do that then they're not doing their job. That's one of the things you're paying for with your entry fee.
[/quote']

True. So do everyone a favour and lodge your complaint so that they know that they have the backing of the majority of the cyclists.

I am surprised that there weren't any comments on the hub about the poor discipline at the DC. It was the same thing - rules ignored all over the place which compromised safety. I know someone who gave up his weekend to marshall and he will never do it again. He was sworn at and threatened by the support vehicles of 2 of the top 10 teams because he objected to their "rolling support".

As a group we have a lot to consider.

Burp, you protest to much..... where you in the gutter perhaps mmmmm?????

I know I was, I made the descision to not get dropped, I  agree it's wrong, but when the choice comes you make it. Get dropped or sit wrong side gutter? We should have been DQ'ed for sure, have no idea why they didn't do it?

We should have been DQ'ed for sure' date=' have no idea why they didn't do it?[/quote']

I believe there was some discussion in this regard yesterday...not sure what the outcome was (the PPA is well aware of the events that occurred).  I guess it would be difficult to DQ people after the fact.