Chappies Update

milky4130

Just an update that Chapmans Peak is now officially closed at the top for bicycles too. There use to be a gap for cyclist to slip through the fence but that now has been closed off too.

Also just want to say thanks to the MTB'er who helped me scale the cliff to get around the fence. So if you're alone you'll have to turn around at the top unless you have a partner who can hand your bike to you then it should be ok, but be prepared for a few cuts from the barbed-wire, luckily I had longs covering my legs & arms.

Ag damn, I thought you were telling us about a new Chappies flavour or something us Vaalies actually give a damn about.

*grabs coat and starts running*

Just an update that Chapmans Peak is now officially closed at the top for bicycles too. There use to be a gap for cyclist to slip through the fence but that now has been closed off too.

Also just want to say thanks to the MTB'er who helped me scale the cliff to get around the fence. So if you're alone you'll have to turn around at the top unless you have a partner who can hand your bike to you then it should be ok' date=' but be prepared for a few cuts from the barbed-wire, luckily I had longs covering my legs & arms.
[/quote']

Will it be open in time for the Argus next year???????????

Be careful! There is a camera by the fence, if you damage the fence.

I won't ride teh argus if they don't open Chappies in time. 

Why can't they send more workers to clean up? Lazy bastards!!!

In that case it would be back to Ou Kaapse weg I presume?

You presume correctly IanJ. I know they are working hard behind the scenes to resolve the situation as it has a massive effect on International/upcountry entrants. However it is not looking good.

I would like to have another crack at the Detour, only because I would like to post a sub 3 on that route.

In that case it would be back to Ou Kaapse weg I presume?

You presume correctly IanJ. I know they are working hard behind the scenes to resolve the situation as it has a massive effect on International/upcountry entrants. However it is not looking good.

Where more or less does the route go to if chappies is closed - just major roads??????

Also just want to say thanks to the MTB'er who helped me scale the cliff to get around the fence. So if you're alone you'll have to turn around at the top unless you have a partner who can hand your bike to you then it should be ok' date=' but be prepared for a few cuts from the barbed-wire, luckily I had longs covering my legs & arms.
[/quote']

Wonder why they put a fence there, damn in considerate?.

Wondering aloud to self......

Boyes Drive instead of Main Rd,

and Ou Kaapse instead of Chappies

this will make the pro's ride more interesting ...

... and give me an excuse for not finishing with the bunch Big%20smile

RUMOUR has it that the toll operators get cash from the Government regarless of the road being open or not, so it is not in their interest to have the road open during  winter when there is much less traffic. I just called the operators; they tell me that it should be open by 15 December 2008 and thus will be open for the Argus.

yoh! they've been taking long to sort this out now. How much damage could it possibly be?

4 mud/rock slides from Noordhoeks side only, so much that I was still able to drive through it on my road bike without having to get off the bike.

It's ridiculous that the road is still closed right now. How much revenue is being lost to tourism, clearly somebody needs to pull their finger.