CSC Wannabees

Groot Lem

Apparently you have to ride behind them and not mingle while you ride.

Not true. And most of them were quite talkative and pleasant despite their hectic schedules and the constant public attention (except Zabriskie who is on his own planet). Julich and a couple of the other guys even pushed some tannie on her brand new Cervelo up Boyes Drive.

Sorry I tak it back then that is what I heard' date=' but stilll R15 000??? If someone wants to ride Motocross with me I dont charge them that!!!
[/quote']

The way I understand it is that if you paid R15k you had 3 days with the CSC team - Fri, Sat & Sun. Then on Monday (in CT anyway) those people who had bought a Cervelo bike recently got invited to ride with them for a couple of hours - free & gratis (3 groups in total). I guess that there were also a few slots open for people who had not bought a Cervelo recently. Then finally, someone responsible had to marshal each of the groups. 

I'm very responsible Wink

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll laugh about it. Wouldn't believe that people got suckered into paying R15k to ride with them. As they say "a fool and his money soon parts" And ya, I have around R30k to play with, but not to ride with CSC, I'll love it. But someone else is now using an oppertunity to make money charging a ridicilous fee for it. #SSHOLES(MAX) It wasn't to provide the oppertunity for someone to ride with CSC, it was arranged to make money out of it.Angry I can go on 5 holidays for that money. oH, with the extra money, make it 10.

I almost took down 15 CSC riders (not wearing helmets) on monday's ride (the joys of a free ticket:D)! Riding just in front of the group I crashed straight into one of those waist high construction beacons... got it caught under my frame and in my wheels... thankfully i didnt crash i dont think they would have been too impressed

did they all laugh at you? 

how do you crash into a waist high construction beacon - you can see these things for miles!

Hmm, lets think about it, most folk who own an elite bicycle like Cervelo, could probably pay to go ride if they really wanted to, so by pitching the opportunity, at lets say, relatively wealthy (and I am willing to bet the majority there, were lilly-white) cyclists, they effectively EXCLUDE the very folk everybody is trying to get on board and into cycling.

Now,by all means have this opportunity pitched at cyclists who want to pay and give them a slightly "upperclass deal" perhaps a dinner with the team or something like that, but, why is it exclusively a paying affair??

If everybody was REALLY and HONESTLY interested in uplifting dis-advantaged kids and getting them into cycling (as is so often expressed) - what better opportunity would there be to peak their interest than by allowing a selected number to ride with a pro team, gratis and for free.!!

But, I fear as in most things South African, we are great at paying lip service to these issues, but in effect we continue to chase those with the deep pockets, who usually like the "exclusive club" they are in and are not keen on having to share their day with others who may not be so fortunate.   

Personally, I have no interest or even the slightest inclination to go ride with any team, I doubt I have anything in common with them, I couldnt be bothered making small talk to pass the time,and I have no particular interest in any procyclists life, but thats me, and I make no bones about it, but I cant help feeling an excellant opportunity was lost here to improve cyclings image.

** SIGH** OH WELL**

i wonder if CSC guys knew that it cost each guest R15k

Whats this about? I was there, didnt pay a scent! and my friend I went with who owns a Cervelo, and who was invited by CycleLab, didn't pay a scent either..

Okay, thats fair enough, but I am talking about folk who are not cyclists of any calibre.

The Liberty develpoment team are already on the road to some success, I see no reason for them to ride with CSC.

I am talking about getting new blood involved, scout the schools before hand, check the clubs and identify exciting new talent and give them an opportunity - thats all I am saying - give those less fortunate an opportunity. 

Hmm' date=' lets think about it, most folk who own an elite bicycle like Cervelo, could probably pay to go ride if they really wanted to, so by pitching the opportunity, at lets say, relatively wealthy (and I am willing to bet the majority there, were lilly-white) cyclists, they effectively EXCLUDE the very folk everybody is trying to get on board and into cycling.

Now,by all means have this opportunity pitched at cyclists who want to pay and give them a slightly "upperclass deal" perhaps a dinner with the team or something like that, but, why is it exclusively a paying affair??

If everybody was REALLY and HONESTLY interested in uplifting dis-advantaged kids and getting them into cycling (as is so often expressed) - what better opportunity would there be to peak their interest than by allowing a selected number to ride with a pro team, gratis and for free.!!

But, I fear as in most things South African, we are great at paying lip service to these issues, but in effect we continue to chase those with the deep pockets, who usually like the "exclusive club" they are in and are not keen on having to share their day with others who may not be so fortunate.   

Personally, I have no interest or even the slightest inclination to go ride with any team, I doubt I have anything in common with them, I couldnt be bothered making small talk to pass the time,and I have no particular interest in any procyclists life, but thats me, and I make no bones about it, but I cant help feeling an excellant opportunity was lost here to improve cyclings image.

** SIGH** OH WELL**

[/quote']

The introduction of Team CSC?s 2007 roster was part of the team?s

first visit to South Africa. In addition to holding its traditional team-building

"survival camp" during the stay, Team CSC interacted with South

African cyclists. One highlight was the visit to the Life Development

Cycling Academy (LDCA) in Khayelitsha outside Cape Town. The LDCA focuses

on promoting the sport of cycling in disadvantaged communities.

"Team CSC?s visit to South Africa has inspired South African

cyclists of all races," said Martin Vergunst, managing director of

CSC?s operations in South Africa. "The team?s visit has

been particularly significant to the LDCA which, in the last three years,

has transformed the lives of many South Africans and created new sporting

heroes. Having the opportunity to cycle with and learn from the world?s

best has been an unforgettable experience for these talented young riders."

South Africa, which stages two of the world?s largest mass participation

cycling events, is a popular destination for cyclists. "With world-class

facilities and accommodations, South Africa has an ideal climate, fantastic

roads and cycling terrain, as well as a large and passionate local cycling

following which was very excited to have Team CSC in the country,"

added Vergunst.

Hmm, sounds like a lot of hype and word padding to me.

How many disadvantaged kids rode any distance with the team, (I am not talking about pushing them up and down the street)- how many actually had the opportunity to speak to them face to face - (theres a world of differance in seeing the cyclists in an area for publicity reasons) and actually getting down and dirty with them, did they spend as much time with them as they did with the paying cyclists.?

I accept they are not here for a charity event and have other things to do with their day, but I detest promotion for celebrity sake (ala Brad and Angelina style) - and I detest capitalistic promotion in the name of upliftment - most good work is done without too many folk knowing about it or needing to broadcast it in newspapers. 

Yes I agree widget.

Its all about PERCEPTIONS and the message this kind of promotion sends out is cycling is exclusively for the wealthy minority.This is the wrong message in a country like SA.

I was watching the SC show where Mr Maclean promoted the cervelo offer, "buy a cervelo for R15000.00 or pay the equivalent and go ride with the team" and I thought this is fine in a developed country like the USA or the UK but in a country like SA where the closest the majority of kids are going to get to a bicycle is a second hand pick and pay special, riding a Cervelo in the company of a pro team with your Oakleys on your head up Chappies is about as far removed from their day to day fight for survival as its going to get.

Lets cut the crap, having a bunch of smiling heads talking to the kids is fine but if they have no bicycle, and no realistic means to own one then this is just opportunistic self promotion of the worst possible kind under the disguise of upliftment.

Lets have less of this opportunistic showboating and more of the kind of serious upliftment like Oprah Winfrey has ben quitely doing and has built an entire school for the underprivedliged - now thats worth talking about - not this joke.

Lets all get a life, no one ever mentioned that this is for upliftment purposes. This is marketing with a big M let them be. I say bravo for finding an opportunity and using it.

Regarding the developenemt of the sport and BEE, PDI upliftment; if the money makers want to get involved good, if they don't, also good. Until "big business" in cycling are forced to get involved with upliftment/RDP/whatever they wont.

and I don't blame them. It is difficult enough in the cycling game as it is with us premadona buyers, why give away more profit than is nessesary. I would't            would you?

don't answer this question if you haven't been out there in the real world on your own.

My 2c's

don't answer this question if you haven't been out there in the real world on your own.

As I have been "out there in the real world on my own" now for about 30 years, (since I left school at 18) I feel well qualified to reply.!

People like you seem to be living in your own little world Dick, perhaps you think the earth is also flat, because it suits you??

Well, heres a newsflash mate, you dont live here alone, you have a social responsibility in this community called SA to try and make a differance - however that may be.

The rest of your comments dont even warrant the respect of a reply.