This morning on 702

Thug

Back feeding the Troll....

I appologise for starting some vague conjecture on my side...

It seems that my point has been completely missed.

Enjoy the traffic.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros
(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles' date=' no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

[/quote']

This law sucks!  It is perfect in countries where the cyclepaths actually exist or where they are kept in good condition, but in SA the paths I know are so bad you don't want to ride there! 

In Durbanville there is a cycle path from the circle at D'ville High School towards Adderley.  Anyone ever actaully try riding it?  No, well according to this law you are breaking the law by riding in the road there!  Silly

If the cycle lane is in bad repair, petition your local municipality either directly or via your councillor to repair it. Or claim for a rim that got damaged on their cycling lane.

Agteros2008-10-20 04:59:02

This 1.5m road useage by cyclists and the road traffic laws have been debated to death here.

Makes no differance.

The fact is nobody knows what makes normal respectable law abiding citizens who hold down respectable jobs and are responsible and dedicated family men behave like lunatics when they get on a bicycle.

Its beyond me. 

widget2008-10-20 04:59:39

I have made repeated pleas on this forum and on radio & tv with regards to cyclists behaviour. It is imperative that we act like responsible citizens, not just while out cycling but in our daily activities.

It appalls me that 'educated' people flaunt the rules that are there to protect us. I just came back from a meeting at Ekurhuleni Roads Department with regards to an application I made in February to erect 10 signs kindly sponsored by Team Edenglen, and as we all are aware there are speed restrictions at the various road work sites on the freeways (just about the entire major road netwotk around Gauteng) and yet people go past these dangerous places as if they don't give a damn and at speeds reserved for Kayalami Race track.

Please guys & gals, lets start making a concerted effort in making our country a safe place and start doing the right thing. Lets earn the respect we deserve.

This 1.5m road useage by cyclists and the road traffic laws have been debated to death here.

Makes no differance.

The fact is nobody knows what makes normal respectable law abiding citizens who hold down respectable jobs and are responsible and dedicated family men behave like lunatics when they get on a bicycle.

Its beyond me. 

The fact is nobody knows what makes normal respectable law abiding citizens who hold down respectable jobs and are responsible and dedicated family men behave like lunatics when they get behind the steering wheel of a motorcar.

Its beyond me. 

Guest Agteros
... unfortunately there is a way around this for roadies.  It is regulation 317

And that ladies and gents we pay so much money to partake in road races.  It is the law' date=' or "Highway robbery". ...
[/quote']

There is no problem with that, the problem is the people pretending to have the rights afforded to them by a competition, while they are in actual fact NOT partaking in an organised event. Or do I miss something not being a roadie?

And that ladies and gents we pay so much money to partake in road races.  It is the law' date=' or "Highway robbery". ...
[/quote']

There is no problem with that, the problem is the people pretending to have the rights afforded to them by a competition, while they are in actual fact NOT partaking in an organised event. Or do I miss something not being a roadie?

I concur with you.  It seems that every training ride is a race.  THis is why I cycle more on my MTB and commute bike than actually partake in road cycling.

Like HR, I have five bikes (although my wife uses one) and refuse to race.

[/quote']

Agreed...If bikers race on the road they face chargers, reckless driving. So does cars, what makes cyclist different?

I maintain, there is no sense of self preservation, same as a failed suicide attempt if they actually make it back home in one piece...

Yogotta B Biking (ybb), one prob re your comments - kromdraai is a National Heritage area with a speed limit of 80kmph - no matter how well your motor bike or my motorbike can handle that at above this speed we as bikers are in the wrong if we are going faster. as such a speeding biker has no right to complain about law-breaking cyclists. i love cycling there and i also love taking noob bikers there and at 80kmph you'll find that the cyclists have enough time to hear you approaching and move into single file.

My biggest gripe is that cyclists want the rights of pedestrians i.e proceed through red robots etc, yet want to be respected as fully fledged road vehicles.

Rules are simple and the main rule governing all our traffic laws is 'keep left'!

...... and this is perhaps most applicable to cyclists: 

Hindering or obstructing traffic on public road

319. (1) No person shall willfully or unnecessarily prevent, hinder or interrupt the free and proper passage of traffic on a public road.

(2) Subject to the provisions of the Act or any other law, no person shall place or abandon or cause to be placed or abandoned on a public road any object that may endanger or cause damage to traffic on such road.

idrive2008-10-20 06:37:26

Yogotta B Biking (ybb)' date=' one prob re your comments - kromdraai is a National Heritage area with a speed limit of 80kmph - no matter how well your motor bike or my motorbike can handle that at above this speed we as bikers are in the wrong if we are going faster. as such a speeding biker has no right to complain about law-breaking cyclists. i love cycling there and i also love taking noob bikers there and at 80kmph you'll find that the cyclists have enough time to hear you approaching and move into single file.

[/quote']

I agree with you wholeheartedly, did I not say in an earlier post a racing biker is breaking the law when I mentioned reckless riding? My point is that even at 80km a motorised vehicle is traveling at three time the speed of a bicycle, and cyclists on that road are more often than not riding 2 or more abreast.

Kromdraai and NorternFarm are my the places where I see the most cyclists more frequently.

Kromdraai can be a life altering experience does not matter who you are or what wheels you have. To my mind a cyclist is thee most a risk on that road, yet it does not look like they think so.

For all intends of purposes my breakfast run days are numbered because of the risk which I as a biker face on a Sunday. Those been cars, other misbehavig bikes and other cyclists. It beats me that people do not understand the danger in speed differentials....

Yogotta B Biking (ybb)' date=' one prob re your comments - kromdraai is a National Heritage area with a speed limit of 80kmph - no matter how well your motor bike or my motorbike can handle that at above this speed we as bikers are in the wrong if we are going faster. as such a speeding biker has no right to complain about law-breaking cyclists. i love cycling there and i also love taking noob bikers there and at 80kmph you'll find that the cyclists have enough time to hear you approaching and move into single file.

[/quote']

smiley32.gifsmiley32.gifsmiley32.gif

My biggest gripe is that cyclists want the rights of pedestrians i.e proceed through red robots etc' date=' yet want to be respected as fully fledged road vehicles.

Rules are simple and the main rule governing all our traffic laws is 'keep left'!

...... and this is perhaps most applicable to cyclists: 

Hindering or obstructing traffic on public road

319. (1) No person shall willfully or unnecessarily prevent, hinder or interrupt the free and proper passage of traffic on a public road.

(2) Subject to the provisions of the Act or any other law, no person shall place or abandon or cause to be placed or abandoned on a public road any object that may endanger or cause damage to traffic on such road.

[/quote']

"Proper passage" would be for motor vehicles to pass in a passing lane or to cross into the oncoming lane where it is safe to do so.  The rules are quite clear that no two vehicles may pass each other in the same lane, except for bicycles (passing other bicycles), and motorbikes (passing other motorbikes).  So a cyclist riding in the middle of his lane is not contravening the above no matter how much you want it to be so.

As for the keep left rule, a cyclist in the middle of the left lane is keeping left.

That all said it is logical to allow faster moving vehicles free passage where it is safe to do so.  This is and should be at the discretion of the vehicle with right of way.  In this case, the vehicle in front (the bicycle) has right of way over vehicles (motorised types) wanting to overtake.