This morning on 702

Thug

YBB, that is why (as you should well know) i am anti-speeding Wink i have to admit that on a bicycle i get less freaked out by speedsters than on the motorbike - it's easier for me to "go farming" if some idjut does decide to ride too close even if i am right at the edge of the road, wayyy past the yellow line - this often happens along kromdraaai. on the motorbike i can't move that far over, and i usually have a noob with me - how do i protect them from a speed differential due to some idjut riding at 140-160 in an 80km zone? the is then 60+kmph... cyclists riding at 25-30kmph nly have a speed differential of 50-60kmph to any law abiding road user along there - so that issue is still there.

everyone here knows that i do NOT accept jumping of lights and if i hear a car approaching i get "woes" if peeps don't get into single file. my view is really quite simple - do NOT expect to be treated as a road user if you behave as a road ABuser.

and as to the stupid "argument" proffered by some of "what kind of training ride will you have if you stop at lights/don't ride like a bat outta hell/etc" my answer remains the same - one where you increase your chances of getting home alive and NOT p'ing off other road users.

p.s. as to the offenders... damnit why are there no pics... name and shame the f-ers... they are putting the law abiders amongst us at risk.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

linega, using your argument there i suggest someone follows you with a video camera one day... to show how you equally diligently do not pass any vehicles stationary at a red light - stay in the lane behind the stationary cars in front of you...

Loon I agree 100% with you !!! Had more or less the same incident on Nelmapius but I did stop up ahead and had a nice chat with the 6 gentleman .

linega' date=' using your argument there i suggest someone follows you with a video camera one day... to show how you equally diligently do not pass any vehicles stationary at a red light - stay in the lane behind the stationary cars in front of you...[/quote']

I didn't at any time say the laws were practical.  I don't stop at red lights unless there is a need, I never stay behind stationary vehicles as that reduces visibility (motorists don't see you).  I practice safe cycling first which includes taking an entire lane where it is unsafe for other vehicles to pass me.  My second consideration would be law, and depending on my mood I might consider the plight of the hard done by motorists of this country.

The fact is nobody knows what makes normal respectable law abiding citizens who hold down respectable jobs and are responsible and dedicated family men behave like lunatics when they get behind the steering wheel of a motorcar.

Its beyond me. 

Not quite the same thing KonaFan and you know it.!

How many motorists will ride a woman off the road, harass her and remove her keys.

Not too many. At least I have never heard of it.

How many motorists will intentionally stop at a light and kick a dent into a fellow motorists door, jump back into the car and disappear.

Not that popular an activity, believe me.!

There is a differance between driving a car in a reckless fashion on a highway and misbehaving, and physically harassing woman as these cyclists did.

...........but hey, see it as you like.!

The fact is nobody knows what makes normal respectable law abiding citizens who hold down respectable jobs and are responsible and dedicated family men behave like lunatics when they get behind the steering wheel of a motorcar.

Its beyond me. 

How many motorists will ride a woman off the road' date=' harass her and remove her keys.

How many motorists will intentionally stop at a light and kick a dent into a fellow motorists door, jump back into the car and disappear.

There is a differance between driving a car in a reckless fashion on a highway and misbehaving, and physically harassing woman as these cyclists did.

[/quote']

you not from Gauteng, are you?WinkLOLLOL

Yup, I am.!Wink

Forget trying to hide behind the law, this, folks is not Canada, if you are dead, who is right and who is wrong makes no differance to you.

Treat others as YOU expect to be treated, forget the law and stupid meaningless twaddle like who passes where and how, think of how the OTHER person feels, be accomodating, unless you put food on the table with your cycling and been late to work means you loose financially a few extra stops and arriving a few minutes later makes no differance.

BUT above all, think how you would feel if this was YOUR Wife / Girlfriend / Sister - would you like some ruffian treating her this way?? - No, then, remember Respect starts with you.!

widget2008-10-20 08:08:03

Its beyond me. 

How many motorists will ride a woman off the road' date=' harass her and remove her keys.

[/quote']

well, as a cyclist there isn't much that you can do. But to disable the car. And that means taking the keys. Ya, its not right, at least they didn't beat her up with hocky sticks or stabbed her with knives.

Oh, wait, another thread here... BMW driver Bl*&(&ksems another with a sword...  Thats all frustrations building up ... because of the lack of the authorisites to deal with idiots on the roads. As long as they (Metro) can dish out R200 fines for you driving 1km/h over the speed limit, they're happy, and the roads are safe, nobody's killed, everythings running smooth in SA!

well' date=' as a cyclist there isn't much that you can do. But to disable the car. And that means taking the keys. Ya, its not right, at least they didn't beat her up with hocky sticks or stabbed her with knives.

Oh, wait, another thread here... BMW driver Bl*&(&ksems another with a sword...  Thats all frustrations building up ... because of the lack of the authorisites to deal with idiots on the roads. As long as they (Metro) can dish out R200 fines for you driving 1km/h over the speed limit, they're happy, and the roads are safe, nobody's killed, everythings running smooth in SA!
[/quote']

Why do you want to do that cervelo?, what can be so bad you need to harass a woman like that?

Dos it make you more of a man?

Do you feel tough and invincible?

Do you go home and brag to your mates about how you taught that defenseless woman a lesson.?

The point I am making is, what were they hoping to get out of this?

To me, its brutish and arrogant and it shows a lack of class and upbringing. 

Understand, I am not picking on you, I understand where you are coming from, but tell me honestly, "Would you stoop to such behaviour?"

I doubt it very much, so what were they hoping to achieve.?

As for the Metro police, well, its another point, speed limits are there for a reason like anything else, but we in SA dont feel the need to be regulated, we like "flying by the seat of our pants", we like the fact that the law here is a bit "bendable", so we speed, we drive recklessly, we misbehave, we jump lights, we swear, we show the finger...................and when we are regulated, .................well, folks, thats just not on.!

widget2008-10-20 08:33:25

widget- what would you do if a woman keeps provoking you to the point that she wants to run you off the road? Taking her keys would seem like the reasonable thing to do.

We dont even know what happened here, but there is some psycho drivers out there. I've seen some strange things happen on the road, especially if you're out early and they're going home late.......

I know who the 3 cyclists where in that incident. It was 2 guys and one woman. I also know how the events unfolded there, nothing like she explained. take 1 irate women in a hurry add a car and what do you get? you might as well give her a gun! make it quicker! you all heard her side on 702 maybe should wait to hear the cyclists side. the story should come out soon enough....ONEWAY2008-10-20 09:24:47

This is why I ride off the tar and on the roads and singletrack where no vehicle other than a mountainbike will survive. I never - outside of Argus - ride on the tar more than the 500m it takesto get to the dirt.

I often see cyclists though behave the way they are often accused of behaving on the tar. What most people who don't see Inquests everyday forget is that in most collisions between a motor vehicle and bicycle the cyclists comes off worst.

It really dosnt matter who provoked who.!

The fact remains three cyclists behaved as if it was their RIGHT to teach someone a lesson.

Point 1) Its not their right, report it to the police if you feel so strongly.

Point 2) Its not up to you as a cyclist (or a motorist) to act as judge and executioner, call the police and make a case.

Now lets not get into the whole "the police wont do anything" thats not the point, its not your right to take the law into your own hands either.

porky2008-10-20 09:46:49

Porky - I agree with you. Perpetuating a wrong doesn't make it right. Provocation may be mitigating in the end but it sure won't exclude guilt on their side.