Shimano chain on Campy Chorus?

Flippa

Hi All,

I have been haunting The Hub for a couple of months now and I thought I would, timidlyEmbarrassed, post a question to all the hubbers out there.

My road ride is a Giant TCR with a 10s Campy Chorus groupset. My chain needs replacing and my LBS suggested that I could replace it with an Ultegra or Dura-Ace 10s chain. Are there any compatability issues involved? I have been buying from my LBS for a number of years and have no cause to complain.

Any advice/comments will be gratefully received.

P.S. I am an equal opportunity groupset user with Deore LX on my GT Avalanche, so I am hoping this won't degenerate into a Campy vs Shimano thread. Big%20smile

Flippa: rather use a Campy chain. If the price is an issue, contact CWC, since I got a Record chain from them the last time for R330!!

Agree with MD on this, it works after a fashion, just buy the compatible stuff and get it over and done with. The 10s Campy spacing is different to the 10s Shimano spacing.

Have to agree with the guys above. With bike thingies it's worth putting on the correct parts, rather use a campy chain. You'll have less hassles and save money in the long run.

Big%20smile

I cannot see why it would be an issue unless Kempekknoglia has an exclusivity or xcentric clause built into their chain. That it does not work is a fallacy. All chains (that is bicycle chain) have a one inch (1") distance between the rollers. All that changes is the width of the chain for 7 speed, 8/9 speed and 10 speed. Unless Kempekker uses different widths on their cassette, a Shimano chain should work.

At least you will have something dependable and of good quality on your bike!!!!!!!

Big-H: a team mates had Dura Aca on his Giant...new chain required every 6 weeks, then changed to Campy Chorus, new chain required every 6 months... If you don't believe me, I'll give you the LBS phone number, and rider's phone number...

I ride Dura Ace and had to replace my backwheel during the 94.7. Only one on hand was a Zipp with Record 10 speed cassette. Worked flawlessly.

Hi Flipa,

Shimano 10s has the narowest spacing between cogs so I would suggest that you rather not use a Shimano 10S chain. A 9s version may however work.

The difference in width between a Campagnolo 10S chain and a Shimano 9s chain is 0.2mm

Alternatively buy a Wipperman COnnex 1008 chain.

They're the dogs danglies and the quick link (which SRAM copied) is a very convenient feature

Ummmm....Thanks guysConfused

I think I'll give it a try. That way, if it doesn't work, I can keep it in my saddlebag to use on "oupas" that hoot at me.Big%20smile

Ummmm....Thanks guysConfused

I think I'll give it a try. That way' date=' if it doesn't work, I can keep it in my saddlebag to use on "oupas" that hoot at me.Big%20smile
[/quote']

Ok...So you asked a question. We tell you its not going to work, and your stll gonna do it. ConfusedLOL

Whole thread on this issue on the CampyOnly forum and the main difference is in the width of the chains. Some chaps have used the shimano chain and claimed it worked OK. The general feeling though is to go with the Wippermann chain as it gives you the freedom to "break" the chain, for cleaning, very easily.