Giba Gorge

GIRR

Hi All

After having heard so much on the hub about Giba Gorge I decided to go and check it out for myself today.  I just wish I had have remembered to take my camera.

When I got there the weather was a bit rainy but I thought what the heck and to ride anyway.  The first thing I noticed was how well everything was setup there with good parking, a proper coffee shop, bike shop(Cyclelab), bikes you could rent aswell as showers/change rooms and a bike wash facility(that I made good use of at the end of my very muddy ride).  Entrance fee was also just R20 for offpeak hours!

There is plenty of single track, technical sections, hill climbs and descents to make anyone who rides there happy.  The bike park is also big enough for you to get a decent 2 hour or so ride in, without redoing any of the trails.  The technical sections are all graded with chicken runs to the side of the techincal section if you don't want to do it.  The views are impressive with the waterfall and being able to see into the gorge once at the higher parts of the trails.  I was also very impressed with the people working at the park.  When I asked the guy at the cashier where the trails start from as this was my first time here he called a rider over who then told me he would show me around and take me on some of the routes and explain the setup of the park to me.  The trails were exciting to ride and were well built and maintained.  The trails were also flowing and didn't double back every two meters to get more distance in like Logwood, this allowed me try out some of the more technical stuff as I could try the drop off etc. without having to worry about making a 90 degree corner a meter from the bottom.

At the end of my three hour ride there I have to say it must be one of the best mountain bike spots in SA and definitely the best I have personally visited so far.  So if you are ever in Durban Giba Gorge is a place you just can't miss if you call yourself a cyclist.

where in Dbn is Giba?

Its about a 22km drive to Giba from Umhlanga, you go along the N3 towards Pietermaritzburg and take the Stokville offramp and then head off towards the quarry there.

Durban has quite a few fantastic spots. Has anyone tried Steinbank nature reserve in Yellowood park?

Any idea of what standard / kind of bikes they have there to rent?

If you ask nicely - Cyclelab also have a few demo models...

Stainbank reserve is also a great spot with good route, indigenous bush and lots of birds. Take a picnic along. Cranky2008-10-22 09:02:06

I was there this weekend for the Asishova Mtb event and I can only add to what has been said earlier - what a magic spot.

In a way I am pleased it is in Durban and I am in Cape Town, or else I would be spending my whole life there and get nothing else done.

Great facilities, well maintained, etc etc. Keep it up guys, its great.  I will be there to ride next time I am in Durban.

hhhmmmm.... i wonder if i should be worried about my local hangout.... NAH! welcome all to the best playground! and i live a short ride from the top of the dirt road out the back of the park, now whose a lucky kid!

hhhmmmm.... i wonder if i should be worried about my local hangout.... NAH! welcome all to the best playground! and i live a short ride from the top of the dirt road out the back of the park' date=' now whose a lucky kid![/quote']

I suddenly don't like you anymore and we haven't even met.LOL