Don't drive left of the yellow line

Windbreaker

This posting is not to raise yet another debate on the subject. It has all been said on this forum BUT I implore every one of you to do your little bit with "non-cycling road users".

If anyone you know drives a motor vehice in the yellow line, make a point of informing them how dangerous this is for cyclists.

If they must then ask them to do so only for the time that it takes to be passed AND only if they can be sure that there are no cyclists ahead.

On the Kleinmond-Hangklip road this morning there was another cyclist hit from behind. He was cycling well within the yellow line (2m plus wide) and from what we could ascertain the motorist, in his angst to be a "polite motorist" got too close and took the cyclist out with his trailer.

Fortunately he lives to ride another day but not for a long time to come with at least a broken leg to show for the encounter.

Guys & Girls even (especially) when riding in a wide yellow line "lane" keep as far left as you can!

And spread the message that passing a cyclist with less than 1.5m gap is literally playing with their lives.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing how many motorists towing trailers forget they are there when passing cyclists or even other motorists for that matter. There should be a proficiency test before you are allowed to tow a trailer and that includes parking and reversing with one (recent road rage from the Harrismith Engen!)

I agree but I'm not sure that I have ever seen someone towing a trailer take out another heavy vehicle (except in parking lots etc) but I now know of 4 trailer/cyclist incidents in the Western Cape in the last 3 months.

Whoa!!!

Without wanting to sound cold hearted.............why was he cycling in the emergency lane?

I know we are all guilty of it (I used to do it, now I get hooted at and sworn at often), but this is where Cycling SA needs to get an organisation like Drive Alive or something involved in a big, and I mean very big, cycling awareness campaign.

Without wanting to sound cold hearted.............why was he cycling in the emergency lane?

I think that it is the accepted norm that we cycle in the emergency lane. I know that it is illegal for cyclists even and have made this point on this forum in the past. But although illegal it is the common sense approach and on many occassions in the past (PPA rides included) I have been instructed by the traffic authorities to ride in the yellow lane.

I know we are all guilty of it (I used to do it, now I get hooted at and sworn at often), but this is where Cycling SA needs to get an organisation like Drive Alive or something involved in a big, and I mean very big, cycling awareness campaign.

I agree that CSA should be doing more in this regard. I must however congratulate the PPA in the Cape. Looks like their quiet background discussions with the Gordons Bay Municipality worked. I noticed this morning that the Rooi Els road (which at one point was on the verge of being closed to cyclists) now has "Bicycle signs" displayed at certain points. Not sure what they mean ("yield to cyclists"?? - triangle with bicycle in it). But at least they are drawing attention to the fact that cyclists are present.

Whoa!!!

... Cycling SA needs to get an organisation like Drive Alive or something involved in a big' date=' and I mean very big, cycling awareness campaign.
[/quote']

Write Lawrence Whittaker a mail. The more the merrier.

Guest colonel

I agree with WB it is a joke and dangerous.....OH merry Xmas by the way

Problem is sign posts do not create awareness - can you name all the off ramp signs on your way to work? Probably not. Even easier What is on the back of a R10 Note? Now exactly how aware are you?

Problem is sign posts do not create awareness - can you name all the off ramp signs on your way to work? Probably not. Even easier What is on the back of a R10 Note? Now exactly how aware are you?

But I can tell you exactly what the speed limit is on the majority of all the roads that I drive/cycle on regularly. If you don't take notice of road signs (forget the information stuff) then you should not have a licence. There is a difference between the info signs and warning signs. If I see a sign that says horses/pedestrians/schoolchildren ahead then I do make a point of being on the lookout for them.

Speed limits are easy it's either 40, 60, 80, 100 or 120 - we know this because you get punished by means of a fine if you do not obey so that is besides the point. Problem with sign posts is they are easy to miss - talking on the cell phone for instance requires up to 75% of your concentration level leaving only 25% to drive the car and take note of your surroundings.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying signage should not be placed on the roads all I am trying to get across is that it is not the most effective method of making people aware.

Problem with sign posts is they are easy to miss - talking on the cell phone for instance requires up to 75% of your concentration level leaving only 25% to drive the car and take note of your surroundings.

You jest ... right??

So maybe we need to develop some sort of sms system for cars that are approaching a road regularly used by cyclists instead of signs. Mmm something is amiss.

And if the sign says yield to cyclists and you don't then you get to be punished.

Nope - think about a business man on his cell phone trying to make a business deal involving a simple calcualtion such as R6000 per month over a period of 48 months at an interest rate of 10% per annum. Or a client bitching at you whilst you are trying to figure out a solution.....yup up to 75%. Nevermid those souls who do not use a hands free - you then still need to work the controls - does not leave much time for looking at sign posts.

Here is a little piece from an online lawer.

Car accident statistics indicate 98 percent of reported accidents involve a single distracted driver. Rubbernecking was the highest percentage of single distractions, followed by driver fatigue, looking at scenery or landmarks, passenger or child distractions, adjusting the radio or other music form, and cell phone use. The increase in cell phone use is believed to be a significant contributor to higher car accident statistics.

I'm all for driver awareness and am as vociferous with friends, family, colleagues and people I don't know. However, South Africans don't respond to anything but tougher legislation. We need vehicles to be confiscated for serious offences like driving in the yellow line, speeding and drunk-driving. The law could then be changed to allow cyclists to ride in the emergency lane as it would actually be safe®.

Us carbon aficianados aside (ie Have's)...One would think that in a country where the have not's far exceed the have's a cheap form of transport such as bicycles would be supported by the authorities? 

I must just add that a road I cycle on now and then has a speed limit of 75 km/h.  I drive that route with a car as well most days of the week, and I must say as one bolke told me : "Jy is die enigste ******* wat die spoedgrens wil gehoorsaam".  Now what was a speed limit made for.  Ever thought that somone drives 120 in a 70 km/h zone what problems can arise?  Think about stopping in time if the light changes or lets say a drunk walks infront of you.  The traffic laws in SA sucks.  And don't get me started on the enforcer of the laws