Armstrong Wins On A 29er

Kiwi

He won a 27 mile race against a bunch of nobodys.Don't know why everyone is getting excitedConfused.Dont you believe it WH,his coming back for his ego.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Lance's arms!! I can't remember ever seeing him this muscled!"!

this reminds me of a quote from "from lance to landis" (am quoting from http://roadriding.blogspot.com/2007/07/from-lance-to-landis.html)

Then' date=' while it?s circumstantial, there is evidence that is quiet damning. Frankie Andreu, Armstrong?s former teammate on the Motorola and US Postal teams, makes this statement: ?God knows what happened during that winter, but Lance came back the spring of ?96 and he was frickin? huge. He looked like a linebacker. It was ?Holy sh*t, man, he is big.? Obviously, we all noticed it and he knew we did. He said something about [Dr. Michele'] Ferrari not realizing the effect the weight room was going to have . . . but with Lance it was more than just seeing him big. I mean, he was big, but he could now rip the cranks off the bike like never before.?

Yoh!!!! Lance's legs look fit to kick serious $rse. Mean and lean cycling machine!!

Latest Bicycling says he's focussed on strength training which will continue until December' date=' when he will transition out of the gym to spend time cycling at altitude. They have a full programme of rides lined up for him, including the cyclocross stuff which is intense riding.

[/quote']

in that article, chris carmichael seemed to be worried that lance would put too much upper body weight with gym work.

He won a 27 mile race against a bunch of nobodys.Don't know why everyone is getting excitedConfused.Dont you believe it WH' date='his coming back for his ego. [/quote']

Agreed. You have to compare apples with apples...

Seen that he's "top" of his field... Put him against the top of the MTB field..

The top MTB'ers will chew him up and spit him out. Like the artical said... He only was able to gain his placing on that open ground. Sauser and those boys are freaking fast on flat, uphill and technical... Cant beat that Lancy boy...

I was thinking the other day (it happens from time to time!), considering the advantages of 29'ers, why don't you get DH or 29'ers yet? Wouldn't be the perfect combo. A wheel size that can deal with hits better, keep momentum better and longer and smooths out the trail.

What am I missing? With a DH bike you won't have to suffer to get the bike up to speed again cause you're at speed and beyond the whole time plus you'll have the benefit of extra grip.

the amount ot pressure a DH wheel takes... I think the 29inch wheels will simply fold under the pressure. The same as why 4x4's and drag cars dont use 22inch spinners and crap like that... they use small 13"-14" rims. Same concept applies to DH

I was thinking the other day (it happens from time to time!)' date=' considering the advantages of 29'ers, why don't you get DH or 29'ers yet? Wouldn't be the perfect combo. A wheel size that can deal with hits better, keep momentum better and longer and smooths out the trail.

What am I missing? With a DH bike you won't have to suffer to get the bike up to speed again cause you're at speed and beyond the whole time plus you'll have the benefit of extra grip.
[/quote']

They are comming! Niner is working on one so the rumours go. I found a website for a guy that is making custom carbon fibre 29er down hill bikes, it's on my other computer so I will post as soon as I can. There are a bunch of rumours of other manufacturers doing something too. Man, a 29er DH rig would be scary fast, I wonder if the Old Boys at the UCI will ban them like skin suits?

Kiwi' date='  I also get Belgian TV here and I watched the Supercross race yesterday where Boom kicked butt!!!  HUP HOLLAND!!!![/quote']

Boom! as they call him is incredible, World under 23 TT champ and World under 23 Cyclocross Champ in the same season - the new Nys?

Kiwi' date='  I also get Belgian TV here and I watched the Supercross race yesterday where Boom kicked butt!!!  HUP HOLLAND!!!![/quote']

Boom! as they call him is incredible, World under 23 TT champ and World under 23 Cyclocross Champ in the same season - the new Nys?
  Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for us!) the new Nys seems to be Niles Albert!  At Veghel he just rode away from Nys and Boom.  Both him and Boom are under 23 and I think the post-Nys era is here.  Maybe...

I was thinking the other day (it happens from time to time!)' date=' considering the advantages of 29'ers, why don't you get DH or 29'ers yet? Wouldn't be the perfect combo. A wheel size that can deal with hits better, keep momentum better and longer and smooths out the trail.

[/quote']  reduced travel?  Can;t have as much with big wheels...

I think that a 29er DH bike would be a bit of a barge. The bike will have less agility because of the larger gyro effect the wheel will give the bike. So the fast switch backs will be more PT for the rider to turn the wheel. And at the speed that these guys and girls haul, will the amount of travel the bikes have. I am not sure how much of an advantage a 29? wheels will have over a 26?. I mean. Look at the XC  scene, and even marathons. The 29? wheels is still just a handful of singled out riders. It?s a theory of commuting and week end riders. But I think it will have a long way to go to prove a really remarkable difference in DH and XC. <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Marathon riders however would benefit from this size as long as there is not too much technical stints

TNT1... That Cor-oke ust wanted to get his fix for the day. Smile We can only hope he does not come and infest the thread again

I dont know about wheel weight holding things back that much now, a couple of weeks back a round of the US Pro Mountain Bike series was won on a 29er, his wheels weighed 1350 grams a pair...

Did anybody seriaasly believe that Sterkarm quit for good...??..The man has a ego as big as the state of Texas...he was planning all of this ...he owns half of the US based team , or more...every rider in his team will work for him regardless...the man is an absolute animal, and anybody betting against him winning the Tour De Lance obviously has a lot of money to throw away....or am I talking bollie...??

I think Loon is probably right in respect of DH bikes and 29" wheels but I think that there is a whole world out there waiting to discover the benefits of the 650c wheel or 27.5".

Don't forget, you heard it here first.