Dura Ace 10sp - crank arm falls off !!!!!!

NotSoBigBen

PICTURE THIS !!!!

One of our intrepid training companions arrives to ride our long ride through Suikerbosrand nature reserve yesterday morning sporting a fancy schmancy new Monoc with all nicely colour co-ordinated kit (red and black frame ,red tyres , FSA wheels etc. etc.), ok so none of this is improtant to the story but .........

After about 10k's of riding we get up to sprint to beat a robot that is about to go red and luckily (for him!) as he sits down to continue, the right (non-drive) crank arm falls off. Now had that happened with full power to the pedals he could have been talking with a very different voice today!!!smiley3.gif

He knows that the bolts were all tight when he left home (bike had only just been built). We then proceed to put the crank back on and tighten the bolts (ok so just with a multi tool!) but it falls off again within a few 100 meters.

None of us have any experience with DA 10sp so I wondered has anyone else experienced such a thing? Any advice on how to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Seems like there is a lot of nonsense with the Dura Ace nowadays...He should take it back and let the guys send it back to Shimano.

Or just buy CampyApprove

Tsk tsk tsk...Shimano (Shut-up Fatty, CVANC and Donkey - don't let them in on my deepest, darkest secret!Embarrassed)

Fasten the bolts !!! Me and EWEP had chat to chappy at our LBS and after I complained to him about my wifes bikes cranks falling of he explained to me than these things get tightened by some moewiese big tool and he went over into tons per SQ inch . A mere multi tool will not keep these bolts there for long

Tsk tsk tsk...Shimano (Shut-up Fatty' date=' CVANC and Donkey - don't let them in on my deepest, darkest secret!Embarrassed)
[/quote']

okay Wink

Tsk tsk tsk...Shimano (Shut-up Fatty' date=' CVANC and Donkey - don't let them in on my deepest, darkest secret!Embarrassed)
[/quote']

okay Wink

*pat on the head* Good boy!Smile

Hey DR so you're saying we can tighten like 'way' tight without damaging anything? Should we go with threadlock or something similar as well to stop any future re-occurence?

Nellie - it isn't new so no going back! You can't allude to a dark secret and not expect lots of digging and begging and other means being used by hubbers to find out what it is so you may as well just come out with it! (worth a try hey!)

You must get a wrench so you can measure your efforts !! On a road bike I will not put to much force into it ! These things are like their owners , biekie pieperig .

ShockedShockedTypical Shimano...Evil%20Smilehaha!

Lets just say i surprised the CT guys a bit when i went to visitWinkEmbarrassedLOL.

You're not getting anything else out of me.ApproveCool

You must get a wrench so you can measure your efforts !! On a road bike I will not put to much force into it ! These things are like their owners ' date=' biekie pieperig . [/quote']

I bet a lot of us "pieperige roadies" have much more impressive battle scars than a lot of MTB'ers.Approve The tar is hard DR, real hard!Ouch

BigBen I have Dura Ace and regularly remove and replace my cranks for servicing. I tighten the bolts tight but with just a normal Allen key, you should be able to tighten them with a multi tool.

One important thing is to remove the dust cap before tightening as it can prevent the crank clamping properly. Screw the cap in only after it is tight.