Why is it better to do 1min intervals

How to build strength and power

Ok, now that I'm finish with base training, the program and clever guys say its time for building strength and power.

I know that best for power is to grind big gears at "slower" cadence. it make sense to me.

My question:....What is the difference....

Doing intervals (20-30) x 1 - 1.30 min @ 85% - 95%

or

Doing a 5 - 7km Hill Climb @ 85% - 95% hart rate

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute intervals train a different energy system to 5 minute intervals.

5 minute intervals stress your VO2Max levels and improve them.  1 minute intervals train your anaerobic capacity.

Once your base is complete i.e. your aerobic endurance (functional threshold power) has been established, 5 minute intervals are introduced to improve power at VO2Max.  Generally these take the form of 4 to 6 intervals of 4 to 6 minutes in duration.  Bikemax can correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that after 6 weeks of this type of training generally no further improvement is possible. 

As racing approaches, 1 minute anaerobic capacity intervals are introduced.  These intervals are done by starting out hard (not quite sprint but hard anyway), then trying to hold on to the power for the duration of 1 minute.  HR lag makes it pretty much impossible to use HR are a guide for these intervals.

bikemax is the expert here,  but i will take a guess at it.

keep in mind that i don't do intervals myself (know that i should!) and i also push the small blade 99% of the time but:

i think the answer lies in what you are training for - the short, 1 minute intervals would help for covering the break or the surges in the pack during a race & the hill climb would of course help for a hill climb.

perhaps do the 1 minute intervals on one day,  and the hill climb intervals on another.

i am sure that both will raise your LT,  but i suspect that only the hill climb would increase your muscular power.

I take it you caught no fish then? Big%20smile

Come ride the Uwe Mira climb with me again, it'll make you plenty strong enough for epic LOL

Bruce. My question only relates to training for the epic.

Long, slower but plenty endurance.. No sprints etc.

I'm just of the opinion that its should be better to (say) ride Franshoek pass (+-7km's), at 90% ave instead of trying to di intervalls. Maybe in one bigger gear as well, just to build leg power?

"I take it you caught no fish then? = No, did not even try, to much wind. and was stuffed up on those undulating never ending gravel roads.

"Come ride the Uwe Mira climb". wat's dit? ..Ernie Els se paadtjie?

Wants to ride the Lighthouse to lighthouse in gansbaai on 13 and 14 Feb.? but don't wanne do it alone.

Is it worth it?

Long' date=' slower but plenty endurance.. No sprints etc.

I'm just of the opinion that its should be better to (say) ride Franshoek pass (+-7km's), at 90% ave instead of trying to di intervalls. Maybe in one bigger gear as well, just to build leg power?

[/quote']

The best indicator for performance in something like the Epic (and in most cycling in fact) is your functional threshold power (60 minute power).

The best improvements to this power are made by riding at sub-threshold (L4) and tempo levels (L3), because your get the most training improvements for the least training stress placed on your body.

Sub-threshold intervals are typically 2x20 or 3x20 minute intervals ridden at time trial pace.  Tempo riding is typically a minimum of 90 minutes ridden at brisk tempo - i.e. a pace at which requires concentration to maintain.

Yep, Ernie se paadtjie...

Everone bitches about the sand on that ride... quick way to destroy that XT chainring & chain Thumbs%20Down

The brothers are doing 4 passes on Sunday, you gonna join them?

I'm think of it but just come off a 6 day course of anti-biotics so not sure if the body will cope to well... maybe just have the missus on standby duty.

Long' date=' slower but plenty endurance.. No sprints etc.

[/quote']

Rather ride the mast a couple of time on the Mtb, it will teach you how to ride a proper climb. Also you guys are gonna have to figure out how to get up technical climbs, I hear there are a few on this years route.

Getting up a technical Climb = "Klap 'n toon"

That means, klim af dra hom, stoot hom, skel op hom,...maar kry hom bo... "-)

"The Mast"?.. Is that Tokai..?

I'm a roadie, my technical skills (even on flats) sucks... So, thats not something I can train for, just fall of the bike, get up again and try again, ...

Trust me on this the more you ride or try to ride technical climbs the better you get at it, as with anything really. IT's always the biggest problem with mtb'ers they never train the technical stuff then they bitch when it's too technical for them and the courses get dumbed down. Quite frustrating!

"keep in mind that i don't do intervals myself (know that i should!) and i also push the small blade 99% of the time but:"

just put into the 53 every now and again and your intervals are taken care of. Just be careful that you dont cause a crash as you fly off the front of the bunch.

Tie-ti smiley2.gif Were is the mast, Tokai or Majic forest.

sh*t, Why is Maruis still on honeymoon @ hartenbos? how long can you keep up withyour girlfriends moans and grouns? he will know the answers... Maruis, please come back smiley16.gif