Hibberdene

anyone know of any rides (TAR!!!!) in and around Hibberdene?

seems to me the only option there is to ride on the R102 (old south-coast road) - not too keen on this as the sugarcane trucks generally use this road instead of the highway.

Hey good doctor,

Go to the AA and get their map of the south coast - best maps you can find!!

Hey good doctor' date='

Go to the AA and get their map of the south coast - best maps you can find!!

[/quote']

good idea -

i have been there a couple of times before with fishing rod & not bike and clearly remember that it is not a very roadbike friendly place.

will go and get the AA maps - easymap.co.za does not really show much - perhaps not a bad a idea to take the car to Port Shepstone and ride inland from there.

You can ride the Southern Explorer (think it is the R102 you are referring to) from quite far up if you go early enough, it then merges with the national road round about Southbroom.  From there it is good riding all the way down to the Wild Coast Sun - hard shoulder and plenty of cyclists.

Not too many roads going inland.

Go early, otherwise the traffic and robots etc becomes a nightmare.

Doctor - agree with Bruces last comment.

Will be doing Southbroom to Wild Coast Sun/return tomorrow moring. Normally start at 6 and don't have any traffic problems. +- 60km's.

Try and avoidgetting on the tollroad if you are at hibberdene. Rather go down the old road to Port Shepstone and head down to Shelly Beach and then return the same way. Also about 60km's. Trucks also should not be a problem as they tend to stay on the toll road as far as Shepstone and the head inland.

Avoid the toll road between Shepstone and Southbroom. Car traffic is as bad as the trucks because the verge/yellow line becomes an actual traffic lane on the hills.

thanks GrantC - seems my best (& safest) bet would be to take the car to southbroom & ride to wild coast sun & back.

as the alternative i can always leave the bike @ home for a week,  but then bruce & his new mates are going to kill me in the first couple of races!

take a mtb and ride in the sugar cane fields in the area. i did it for two holidays in the area (melville) - its good safe riding with plenty of routes.

thanks GrantC - seems my best (& safest) bet would be to take the car to southbroom & ride to wild coast sun & back.

as the alternative i can always leave the bike @ home for a week' date='  but then bruce & his new mates are going to kill me in the first couple of races!

[/quote']

Yes, leave your bike at home for a week - I wanna see you bleeding from your eyeballs LOL

Park at Shelly Beach Mall - the road from there on is not bad - that would give you about a 90km return trip - nice rolling hills.

If you want hills, head North on the R102 I think, ( the road that runs parallel but inland of the Freeway) towards Sezela and Ifafa. On the odd occasion i have done that route, the traffic has not been that bad.

There is a race starting at Sezela on Sunday. Heading north and back again. 100km. The Potgieter Trophy. If you are keen. Judging by all the comments on how the Cape and Jhb okes are flying, you could just use it as a warm up/training race!

I wanna see you bleeding from your eyeballs LOL

take a number - already happened on tuesday & thursday this week going up jan smuts chasing andrew!

If you want hills' date=' head North on the R102 I think, ( the road that runs parallel but inland of the Freeway) towards Sezela and Ifafa. On the odd occasion i have done that route, the traffic has not been that bad.

There is a race starting at Sezela on Sunday. Heading north and back again. 100km. The Potgieter Trophy. If you are keen. Judging by all the comments on how the Cape and Jhb okes are flying, you could just use it as a warm up/training race! [/quote']

thanks - this sunday or next sunday?  only leaving next week.