Can I use 11 Spd chain on a 10 speed cassette???

Yang

I am getting a Chorus 11 speed cassette. Ideal would be a 11 - 25, but seems the only available is a 12 - 27.

I thought this would be OK because I would use the 12 - 27 for hilly rides and races, and then replace the cassette with my Campag 11 - 23 for the fast flatter rides. This means having to change the chain as well to accommodate wear, unless there is compatibility between the cassettes for the chain and I mix it ofteen enough to get similar wear.

Questions:

Can I use an 11 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette? Is it compatible?

Does anyone know where I can get an 11- 25 cassette for a Chorus 11?

Practical experience on this answer is important, because I know the 11 speed chain is 5,5 mm and the 10 speed is 5,9 mm. Common sense suggests that I can't, but I need to know the real life experience to prove or disprove the "common sense." I can't use a 10 speed chain on a 11 speed cassette, but maybe there will be no loss of performance the other way round.

I just want to know how you rejoin your campy chain everytime you change it to "accommodate wear". The pins are expensive and the new 11 speed chain tool is a rediculous price.

I just want to know how you rejoin your campy chain everytime you change it to "accommodate wear". The pins are expensive and the new 11 speed chain tool is a rediculous price.

Ok- that's a good point- I therefore take it that you can't use those removable brackets on Campy chains? Which makes it even more NB that I get the 11-25, even if I order from overseas or wait for local delivery.

This is exactly why I ride Shimano!!!!WinkClap

sh*tmano chains need to have quicklinks and be cheep to change because they wear out so fast.Ouch

You can use the connecting links from SRAM, Connex, KMC etc on Campy chains - and even on Shimano chains (just don't tell Steven, he might have a heart attack). 

This is exactly why I ride Shimano!!!!WinkClap

sh*tmano chains need to have quicklinks and be cheep to change because they wear out so fast.Ouch

But at least a 10spd chain also works on a 9 spd cassette with no hassles

You can use the connecting links from SRAM' date=' Connex, KMC etc on Campy chains - and even on Shimano chains (just don't tell Steven, he might have a heart attack). 

[/quote']

I got them on my raod bike and my tandem...love them to bits.

Now cleaning the chain is much easier and faster

I thought this would be OK because I would use the 12 - 27 for hilly rides and races' date=' and then replace the cassette with my Campag 11 - 23 for the fast flatter rides. This means having to change the chain as well to accommodate wear, unless there is compatibility between the cassettes for the chain and I mix it ofteen enough to get similar wear.

[/quote']

This is not quite true. Forget about the width issue for a minute and only think of mixing and matching chains and cassettes of the same width.

As long as your chain is not worn beyond 1%, you can have as many chains as JZ has wives, the cassette won't mind. Chains in the unworn state don't have compatibility issues with unworn cassettes.

Yang - an interesting question as I didn't realise the chain width difference was so big.  If an 11sp chain can fit the tooth of a 10sp sprocket between  then I imagine the 11sp chain will be fine.  With the cost difference though you may want to save your 11sp cassette and chain for big events and run a separate 10sp setup.

I have not tried it on the 10sp casset.

It works perfect on the 10sp front chainrings.

There is, however, substantial evidence that people with 11 speed get more punctures. Not that I am saying you are substantial, its just that .... ag whatever

I cannot imagine that any engineer who wants his new product to supersede his old one will make the new one adaptable to the old one's part and vice versa. Although... thinking about this.... if you could put the new mini cooper engine onto the old cooper chassis... Crux what are you doing this weekend?Big%20smile

You can use the connecting links from SRAM' date=' Connex, KMC etc on Campy chains - and even on Shimano chains (just don't tell Steven, he might have a heart attack). 

[/quote']

Thanks for clarifying this Linnega.

Have got a committment from one of the shops to get me a 11 - 25 cassette within 3 weeks.Big%20smile The flexibility that the 11 cogs offers- sprinting in the 11 and climbing in the 25 (as against the conventional 23)- is great- a total no-brainer

My experience,

Spinnekop is right. The internal size of the chain remains the same, so Front Chainrings are not affected, Campy says different though.

I wouldn't try with the rear cause your shifter and Rear der. work to move at smaller gaps at the rear, as the width of the cassette is the same as 10 speed, the cogs are the same width as well, the gaps between the cogs are spaced closer together. Hence the outer width of the Chain being slimmer, before all the comments about durability, there is a 4 year warranty from campag.

So my short answer would be get another cassette.

Bought ans 11 speed 11-25 Chorus cassette from Westdene Cycles, delivery took 1 day

Evan, how is your riding with the 11-25, in terms of comparing with a 11-23?