Raleigh Pricing

Eugene

Raleigh Strike 20inch...

RP R2249,00...

I bought one a month ago for a mates kid from Linden Cycle at R1350.. Must have been old stock..... Pricing everywhere was around the R1400 mark..

R850 increase on a kids 20inch Mtb... Crazy man..

Silverback Eclispse 20 inch new stock is selling at R1750 to R1900...

Going to be a sad Christmas for some kids!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont be buying another bike in the forseeable future so it makes little differance to me, but I think the glib manner in which Mr Els says "hard times ahead for ALL businesses" is a little over reaching.

A lot of importers (not necessarily cycling) are still doing well, they have leaned out passed the savings on to the customer, fat, bloated operations with little controls will experience hard times, but well run lean companies will continue to thrive because they provide value.

There is a very big company we used to deal with in the USA, they got fat and bloated over the years and refused to move with the times, I remember once discussing price with them and said, they were out of line internationally, they told me "sorry thats our price, pass it on to your customer" - we like many other customers looked for new suppliers, - two years ago they filed for chapter 13 and put 9000 people out of work.

There is a good reason why stores like Mako, Game, P&P etc prosper and thrive in even the most difficult times, the reason is they supply MASS MARKETS, are very aware of price points, move rapidly to keep prices as stable as possible and generally leave the high end small markets to folk who prefer to work for less profit.

Small high end markets cost the importer and retailer a lot to service, the customer is fussy and because they are spending more per head they demand more attention. Suppliers are also squeezed to the bone here and make minimal margins. Low end products, generally move fast, demand minimal service and usually carry bigger margins.

I can assure you you will never find a R90.000.00 in any of these retailers, simply because its not cost effective, if it was, they would sell it.

In general most importers have had price increases, but its in the area of between 15% -30% nowhere near like has been suggested 70% on bikes.

I run my own business, I know that if I put my fees up by 70 % I may as well close up shop and sit on the beach. Two reasons, firstly you hack off your customers who feel cheated / ripped off and secondly because you have just moved youself outside of your position in the marketplace.

I think Mr Els and Pro -Bike are running for cover, 70% increase is plain unheard of.

As someone else said, Pro-Bike is a big supplier to the chains, like me, Mr Els will deal with these buyers and I can assure you they will NOT tolerate a 70% increase, he will be laughed out the door.

So watch carefully, Pro-Bike products at these stores will go up by about 15% if he is a top negotiater, they really like him and he gives them a nice 2009 calender, the losses he makes there will be passed onto the high end bikes sold in the glitzy chrome and glass shops. 

Pro-bike can never afford to loose the chain stores, they move big numbers, payment is guaranteed and they keep Pro-bikes volume up at the manufacturers - these products will not be moving much, price wise.!!

On the high end side, I suspect that Probike's strategy to keep "full" groupsets may end up costing them.  As the noose tightens, shoppers shop down and will buy similarly specced bikes for less.  How may people actually car if they have an Ultegra or Sora front derailleur?  Mixing and matching components is a great way to reduce prices and still preserve the value of the bike.  When times are good the "full" groupset marketing line is effective - now price rules all else.

Widget - I see that Probikes stuff in Massmarts stores has gone in at pretty inflated prices pre-Christmas.  Either they have accepted it (which I doubt) or they have negotiated some penalty based on volume ie cost price paid per unit decreases if the volume is below a certain level.  If I were a buyer that is the type of deal I would negotiate as it protects the retailer to an extent.

i'm just happy i am not importing and selling any products.

if ou buy before the price increase, you can sell at a bigger profit, but then you have to add more to buy the same item at the new price. for example, you buy an item at 1000, and you would normally sell at 10%more = 1100. Then your purchasing price goes up 50% to 1500. this allows you to sell your old stock at 1250, but then you have to add an additional 250 to get the new item, and you might not be able to add your 10% (r150) on top of that, as everyone is squealing for having to pay 1650 for something that was 1100 before the increase. your roi for your money drops

now the reverse happens, you buy for 1500 before the price drops again to 1000. there is no way youre going to break even, as everyone can buy for 1100 from the overseas stores.

Good thing there is no bicycle part in the basket that the government uses to work out inflation otherwise we would have a prime rate of close to 30%LOL <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have been phoning around for a plain steel Deore chainrings.  Most of the LBS asked about double the price that you could get them for 6 months ago and one of the ?Cheaper? shops actually quoted R1000 for a R120 chainring.  They must be smoking something.  Bunch of Clown's

Do the shops/inporters reliese that we do cycling for a hobby and that we really do not need to buy anything that they sell. Angry

I bought a brand new RM7 in 2006 and I paid R 10k for it.

The same 2009 model now retails for just short of R 20k.

What are the differences between the two models and do those differences justify a 100% price increase ?

The 2009 frame has carbon rear stays.

The 2009 fork is a Reba SL versus a Fox F80R on the 2006 Model

The 2009 groupset is SLX versus XT on the 2006 Model

The 2009 brakes are SLX discs versus Avid SD 5

The 2009 cockpit - RGP ??? versus Ritchey

Weights must be pretty similar at 11.4kgs

Do the differences justify a 100% increase in price ? I don't think so.

After visiting one of the local LBS I strongly feel the government should force LBS to have a large warning posted at the front door along the lines off:<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

?Prices displayed in this shop may cause hart failure and/or hysterical laughing that may be damaging to your health? Evil%20Smile

Examples:

Stans conversion kit : R930

Swalbe Racing Ralphs UST: R950, Who in is right mind pays a R1000 for a tire. Shocked

12? <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Raleigh kids bicycle: R1600 LOLHysterical laughing, strugging to breath....ArhggggggDead

I think I should start looking for a cheaper hobby, like restoring classic cars etc Big%20smile

I wrote off my raleigh rc 6000 about 3 months ago was a  2005 model with 105 , cost me R7500.00 then

Luckly was inshured for more , upgrades to a FELT F4

Full carbon frame ultegra SL  RS20 wheels (ceramic bearings in rear durailer)

Paid R20000.00

I think raleigh have gone BANANAS

Something interesting - compare the following:

There is no consistency in models, pricing, specs etc.

It seems "Raleigh" is a seperate entity in each country it operates.

I had a quick look at the 2009 Raleigh pricing and it's just stoopid - no other word could describe it...

Sadly it matches the rest of cycling equipment in SA - it seems we're heading back into a cycling being an elitist sport!!

Something interesting - compare the following:

There is no consistency in models' date=' pricing, specs etc.

It seems "Raleigh" is a seperate entity in each country it operates.

I had a quick look at the 2009 Raleigh pricing and it's just stoopid - no other word could describe it...

Sadly it matches the rest of cycling equipment in SA - it seems we're heading back into a cycling being an elitist sport!!
[/quote']

In the government's eyes it would be viewed as a white person's sport because the previously disadvantaged can't afford to enter the sport

I wrote off my raleigh rc 6000 about 3 months ago was a  2005 model with 105 ' date=' cost me R7500.00 then

Luckly was inshured for more , upgrades to a FELT F4

Full carbon frame ultegra SL  RS20 wheels (ceramic bearings in rear durailer)

Paid R20000.00

I think raleigh have gone BANANAS
[/quote']

Maybe now is a good time to re-asses the replacement value of my bikes.

Raleigh MR 5.0 (full susser) is specced similar (but IMHO lower) than the '08 Giant Anthem 2.  My LBS still has the 08 Anthem 2 for about R 15.5 K, and reckons the '09 equivalent price should be about R 20K.  Now ask yourself:  R20K for a better-specced Giant or R 25K for the Raleigh..mmmm...

Raleigh MR 5.0 (full susser) is specced similar (but IMHO lower) than the '08 Giant Anthem 2.  My LBS still has the 08 Anthem 2 for about R 15.5 K' date=' and reckons the '09 equivalent price should be about R 20K.  Now ask yourself:  R20K for a better-specced Giant or R 25K for the Raleigh..mmmm... [/quote']

Is this a trick questionEmbarrassed maby im just biased towards GiantLOL

Now if you are really keen on a Raleigh...

Cajees Princess Crossing has loads of stock.... from the year 19 voetsek to 09 models...

How this shop operates I have no idea.... Its like a flea market in there... Bikes and product everywhere in a constant state of unpacking...

But I like to browse occasionally and see how many identical bikes have totally and wildly diff prices on them...LOL